What happened to Wilco's edge?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks but - where? I can see that in the "reply" options, but if I'm trying to embed in a new post, that option is not there.

I don't know. It's always in the same place for me unless I choose "fast reply" (not there at all) so I can't really help you any more than that. You will need to ask Solace if you want the definitive answer.

I love Wilco's current lineup and think its probably the most talented group of musicians they've had together at one time. The only guy I miss is O'Rourke. I wish he still had some hand in what they did with their albums- whether it be mixing them, producing them, engineering them, or playing whatever sound he wanted.

Guest Speed Racer
The only guy I miss is O'Rourke. I wish he still had some hand in what they did with their albums- whether it be mixing them, producing them, engineering them, or playing whatever sound he wanted.

I think you're giving him WAY too much credit. Jeff has said multiple times that the band basically okay'd whatever O'Rourke did. You can have all the ideas in the world, but it doesn't matter if no one lets you actualize them.

I think you're giving him WAY too much credit. Jeff has said multiple times that the band basically okay'd whatever O'Rourke did. You can have all the ideas in the world, but it doesn't matter if no one lets you actualize them.

I don't know. He had a huge hand in Ghost and played a lot on that album, basically a full time band member at that point. And knowing how he and Jeff have worked with Loose Fur, I only see it as a good thing when he is involved.

I also find it funny that Wilco only put out two "experimental" records and everyone thinks they had always been that way. AM, Being There, and Summerteeh were all pretty straightforward albums.

I don't think the band lost it's Edge, it's just continuing to evolve.

Now im about to say something I may regret..even though Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my fav Wilco album..hearing all the electronic flurishes between songs feels kind of dated now a days. One could argue that It comes off as a bit pretentious compared to a lot of their other work. Don't even get me started on the 13 minutes of noise from AGIB...

I don't know. He had a huge hand in Ghost and played a lot on that album, basically a full time band member at that point. And knowing how he and Jeff have worked with Loose Fur, I only see it as a good thing when he is involved.

I agree... you can definitely get a sense of the excitement Jim's contributions made when he joined on. I think it created a large creative movement within the band. There was an obvious staleness to JB's contribution and presence. There was a documentary made about the whole thing. :)

I also find it funny that Wilco only put out two "experimental" records and everyone thinks they had always been that way. AM, Being There, and Summerteeh were all pretty straightforward albums.

Not to mention the "experimental" songs on those two albums only make up about 3/4 of either so it's more like 1.5 "experimental" albums. The irony is it wasn't even fully embraced by the Wilco-ites at the time, the BIG gripe here when AGIB leaked was 'omg what did they do to Kidsmoke, they ruined a perfectly good loping 70's style rocker'.

I would say they lost their 'edge' somewhere in between the point where Jeff was a struggling musician in a tense band environment with a drug problem and mental illness and lots to prove, and the point where he was a wildly successful family man in a stable band with his emotions under control.

I mean, he grew up, and he's in a much healthier place in his life now, which is of course GREAT for him and I couldn't be happier for him. But yes, it does mean that his songwriting loses a bit of edge in terms of where he's coming from. It's just the way it is.

I'll always love everything from Being There through YHF, and I'll always check in to see what he's doing now, but to expect this man to write on the same level as the one 10 years ago is probably hoping for something that won't happen.

but to expect this man to write on the same level as the one 10 years ago is probably hoping for something that won't happen.

I don't think he's ever stopped writing on that level. The songs are just different now. Still great, but different, that's all.

I don't think he's ever stopped writing on that level. The songs are just different now. Still great, but different, that's all.

OK, that's fair. Maybe what I should have said is songs of the same type as he did 10 years ago. good vs. bad is obviously an opinion but I think it's fair to say that the songs he writes now are definitely different from those he wrote a decade back.

This thread baffles me. This album to is a Phoenix; the rebirth of Wilco. I had thought Wilco was pretty much washed up after SBS. This proved me oh so wrong. This album ranks with the best stuff they did with Jay for me.

I actually think he's writing better. But, I think the music has gone down hill. As others have said, I think he needs Jim O'Rourke or someone like that that gives the band an extra level in the arrangement/production side of things. Not Jay Bennett, although he certainly performed a similar role.

Guest Jules
My Edge is in my bathroom, it's what I shave with, I think it's edge gel actually. Maybe they should look in the batroom for thier edge

This is the Vampire Weekend of message board jokes.