This movie seems to be getting great reviews. I've watched the trailer, and it looks very compelling. I look forward to seeing this.

saw it last Friday and if that wasn't cool enough, Anvil played live as the credits rolled and did 4-5 songs :D

really? that's pretty badass. they came down from canada to do that, or were they already in town for something else? or were you in canada?

incidentally, i found a picture disc (LP) of "metal on metal" the other day and just had to buy it. :rock

I've been hearing good things about this for a while now. I definitely want to see it.

I remember some friends and I finding promo copies of "Metal on Metal" on cassette for a $1 at some store we used to frequent on the way to school. I don't think any of us had ever heard of them before, but the lure of a tape deemed "not for sale" was too strong for us to resist, and as it was only a dollar, we could still buy hockey cards, jawbreakers, and pop too. I can't remember how much action the tape got, but I do recall liking the lead track.

I need to see this movie. I have an awesome t-shirt from the Metal on Metal tour, it was my dad's. His friends played in the band Kraken who opened up for Anvil (not sure when), so I have some sweet shirts.

Pretty interesting doc, I didn't know anything about these guys even though they're from here. Lips is a bit annoying after a while, but these guys are so sincere it's hard not to admire them. Definitely a very strange career they seem to have had.

• 4 months later...

I watched this over the weekend and thought it was very well done, if a bit sad.

The problem I had was the obligatory testimonies from hugely successful artists about how influential Anvil was to their own careers from the likes of Slash and Lars Ulrich and how sad they were that they didn’t have more success.

Hey guy’s here’s an idea for you, call these guys up and offer to produce an album for them or offer them a spot as openers on your next tour. I’m sure Anvil is appreciative of the praise and credit but some exposure or an opportunity to be exposed to a larger audience would be awesome for them.

It will be interesting to see if this happens to other obscure bands. What I mean by that is, when Metalica did their deal with an orchestra, other bands copied them and turned out albums that featured an orchestra. A different thing from a documentary made on the fly, but still, it was an unorthodox venture that led to notoriety.

I watched this over the weekend and thought it was very well done, if a bit sad.

The problem I had was the obligatory testimonies from hugely successful artists about how influential Anvil was to their own careers from the likes of Slash and Lars Ulrich and how sad they were that they didn’t have more success.

Hey guy’s here’s an idea for you, call these guys up and offer to produce an album for them or offer them a spot as openers on your next tour. I’m sure Anvil is appreciative of the praise and credit but some exposure or an opportunity to be exposed to a larger audience would be awesome for them.

Well apparently the film caused an Anvil revival of sorts and they ended up doing a real tour afterwards and made a bazillion pesos. Coupla Jewish kids from Scarberia, their luck had to turn eventually... :rock:D

The problem I had was all the moaning and whining from Lips. The drummer kicks ass, and he seemed humble too. Lips just wouldn't shut his fucking mouth, and his lack of major league talent (and IQ) got to be grating after a while. Still a pretty nice film though, I wish them well.

• 1 month later...

I was watching the Alan Cross show the other day on Aux, and he mentioned that Anvil recently headlined the same festival in Japan that they play at the end of the movie. I also saw them on The Tonight Show a month or so back. It's really amazing what this film has done for them.

A hit film like this is all a band needs; if this film had not been made these guys would have still been nowhere. I read about this movie in the New Yorker. A positive review in a magazine like that was all it takes to get a movie watched and promote someone's career.

A funny sidelight to the movie; Lips was working in a school lunch catering service and I review school lunches. Cosmic huh (or not!!!!)

This is a good place to promote the best movie of this sort - "New York Doll". If you have not seen it, do yourself a favor and order it up from Netflix or something.

LouieB

I saw this recently and really enjoyed it. I did find that Lips guy a bit of a fucking trial though. Plus, even for a metal fan like me...those songs are shit. Even bands like Saxon had better stuff than that. Enjoyable little movie though.

I saw this recently and really enjoyed it. I did find that Lips guy a bit of a fucking trial though. Plus, even for a metal fan like me...those songs are shit. Even bands like Saxon had better stuff than that. Enjoyable little movie though.

And Saxon are still at it. Like I said, it will be interesting to see if other forgotten metal bands try to duplicate what Anvil did with this film.

Maybe Grave Digger and Laaz Rockit - LOL.

Saxon are still at it indeed. I really liked them for a time there in the 80's or whenever. Wheels Of Steel, Denim & Leather and Strong Arm Of The Law were albums I really enjoyed at the time.