Jay Bennett R.I.P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Yeah, the wikipedia edit was done by someone who also posted this to an admin: "Created page with '{{Admin}} Admin, I am looking for help! I have only ever edited my boyfriend Pat Sansone's wiki. [snip]"

I'm gonna wait for a little more on this one.

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.

--Mike

Wow Mike - my first thought was "Ok, I'm gonna get Rick Rolled on this", but no. I hope like hell this is just bs.

Guest Speed Racer

Some girl from Urbana posted a, "We'll miss u Jay!" post to a What Would Jay Bennett facebook group. Right now it looks less than true to me - nothing in the Tribune, Sun-Times or News-Gazette. You know Jim and Greg would be ALL over this.

Yeah, the wikipedia edit was done by someone who also posted this to an admin: "Created page with '{{Admin}} Admin, I am looking for help! I have only ever edited my boyfriend Pat Sansone's wiki. [snip]"

Good eye, I didn't think to look for that. All right, so now I am leaning on the side of this being bullshit, I certainly hope it is.

--Mike

With as gossip-hungry as American media has become, I have a hard time believing there wouldn't be plenty of coverage already if this were true, given how much attention the lawsuit got in places that don't tend to cover Wilco. For what it's worth, the NY Times has an obituary for a rich old guy whose name just happens to be Jay Bennett. I hope that's where the confusion is coming from.

Plus, what is written there just sounds made up: "On May 23, 2009, Bennett died." You'd think that if this were true, whoever posted that would have a few more details.

I have not been able to find ANYTHING about this online.

If it were true, surely there'd be some chatter, beyond a undocumented Wikipedia edit and one post to a Facebook group.

I'm calling bullshit ... and I sure hope I'm right.

edit: the line about his death has now been removed from Wikipedia.

Guest Hollinger.

I think you're overestimating the size of Jay's celebrity. Other than Greg Kot, I doubt anyone is close enough to have any kind of confirmation. A handful of people on Twitter saying things like "The word here in Champaign is that Jay Bennett died last night." is about all you can expect at this point.

Guest Speed Racer
I think you're overestimating the size of Jay's celebrity. Other than Greg Kot, I doubt anyone is close enough to have any kind of confirmation. A handful of people on Twitter saying things like "The word here in Champaign is that Jay Bennett died last night." is about all you can expect at this point.

That's true, but you'd think the News-Gazette would have something up on their site. He wasn't huge, but Urbana's kind of a boring place (no offense to residents) and that would be NEWS.

Guest Hollinger.

That depends... I doubt he's enough of a celebrity that anyone is rushing to call the newspapers, and if it's just now starting to spread to people who actually live in the city, they'd typically know before anything hits the papers.

Guest Speed Racer
Well, if it is all made up, word of this will soon reach Jay, who will post an "I'm alive" blog or something.

If you read the blog post below the one you're expecting, you'll see he's not the most out-and-about guy these days. Whoever started the rumor picked on someone who's been pretty reclusive lately.