Jay Bennett R.I.P

the very first mention of this on Twitter is this:

http://twitter.com/aaronleetasjan/statuses/1906388605 (has since been deleted)

but it said:

aaronleetasjan God Bless Jay Bennett. He will be forever in our hearts.

about 2 hours ago from txt

prior to that, there were no mentions of it on Twitter...

also, a lot of the other people who twittered about it shortly thereafter have all deleted their posts about it as well.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Considering how fast the news of the lawsuit hit the media, I'm pretty sure news of his death would travel just as fast. Looks like b.s. to me.

Considering how fast the news of the lawsuit hit the media, I'm pretty sure news of his death would travel just as fast. Looks like b.s. to me.

It's also the Sunday of a three day weekend.

Major news outlets are not exactly going crazy to distribute news of a relatively obscure musician's possible death, especially without any real proof.

I'm just curious where sporkass read this? The one who started this thread?

:dontgetit

it was talked about on Twitter and the Wiki prior to that post.

and let us not forget that Twitter also said that Patrick Swayze died this past week too (he didn't)

not saying it may not prove to be true (let's sure hope not), but we've all seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off right?

This is ridiculous.

If the news breaks, it'll break here: http://www.news-gazette.com

I'm amazed at peoples' ability to believe anything.

But, as it's been said, I don't believe a major news outlet will scramble to publish this story as soon as they hear about it. If word gets out now, I think this is a story that would easily wait until tomorrow, or after the holiday, to be published.

Jay Bennett is not a celebrity, folks.

I hope it isn't true, but if it is, don't expect MTV to do a breaking news piece.

Guest Hollinger.

I really doubt it, Robin. Jay isn't a celebrity, and random people throughout Champaign would hear before any newspaper would report it. Which is exactly the pattern this has followed so far. Not to say that I trust the sources or not, I'm just saying if it happened, this is exactly the way people would start to hear it. Twitter/Facebook/blogs are a much better real time source of information for that kind of thing. If a pseudo-celeb anywhere passed away, and was a relatively quiet person, it would start spreading to people who know them, then those people would pass along information. It won't be breaking news for any newspaper, especially on Memorial Day weekend.

But, as it's been said, I don't believe a major news outlet will scramble to publish this story as soon as they hear about it. If word gets out now, I think this is a story that would easily wait until tomorrow, or after the holiday, to be published.

Jay Bennett is not a celebrity, folks.

I hope it isn't true, but if it is, don't expect MTV to do a breaking news piece.

With the recent Wilco coverage, I could see MTV doing a news piece on this(if it turns out to be true).

However I haven't watched MTV since Kurt Loder was on there. Is he still there?

someone named dawn on myspace left a message "you will be missed"..this is weird, i was just listening to some of the palace @ 4 a.m. late last night on a drive home. and to hear this today is freaky.

With the recent Wilco coverage, I could see MTV doing a news piece on this(if it turns out to be true).

along with kurt loder i think the music went with him, i only see reality shows mostly on there now.

I highly doubt it.

If it was Jeff, maybe there'd be an MTV bit, but still unlikely.

I don't think anyone expects Jay Bennett to be seen on MTV for any reason. Did they even cover the lawsuit, on air or online? I didn't see anything.

Jay would get mentioned on many websites that deal with indie music news, but MTV seems a bit farfetched.

New post at that facebook group:

Brad Elvis (longtime Chicago area musician,who knew Jay) says he died in his sleep last night.

Rock nRoll Heaven is jamming tonite (and Jay is probably tweeking the hell out of some piece of gear!)

Something more but nothing official

Link

that site says, "This entry was posted on May 24, 2009 at 4:16 pm" well before this thread started. Just food for thought, looks like nobody from this thread posted that piece at least.