Is the board not as active as it once was?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking for myself, this board is really slow and hard to use at work since we are still on IE 5 so I get frustrated. We are upgrading later in the year so I will be able to get back to my numerous and extremely high quality posts at some point.

puter.gif

>Since a new Wilco album is not even out yet and people are basically already done with it, there is very little to talk about.

Pretty amazing isn't it? And I haven't even heard it, having avoided the stream for some reason.

"No one's noticed, but the band's all packed and gone.

Was it ever here at all?"

Since a new Wilco album is not even out yet and people are basically already done with it, there is very little to talk about.

LouieB

Sadly, there's some truth to that. Damn this quick-fix-MP3-leaking-short-attention-span era. I remember as a teenager, you'd hear a few songs on the radio of an artist you liked, then you'd have to patiently await the release of the vinyl/cassette. Nowadays, the anticipation and built up excitement for a new release is greatly diminished due to the instant gratification of the internet. You could say the same thing for the board. People couldn't wait a week or so for things to get fixed, so a lot of them went elsewhere.

Nah, I don't buy it. For all intents and purposes (for this crowd, at least), this album was released on the day it leaked. Folks here were insane for a good two weeks after the leak. I am still loving the album but enough time has passed that it has settled into the larger Wilco catalog. And I am sure that I (and others) will spin it nonstop as soon as the vinyl hits my mailbox.

The official release date is a pure fiction. This has nothing to do with mp3s and release dates. If we were all forced to wait for the release date, the same exact thing would have happened, but it would have commenced on June 30. To say that it isn't even out yet, and people are done with it already is misleading and irrelevant (imo).

The official release date is a pure fiction. This has nothing to do with mp3s and release dates. If we were all forced to wait for the release date, the same exact thing would have happened, but it would have commenced on June 30. To say that it isn't even out yet, and people are done with it already is misleading and irrelevant (imo).

But one important thing to consider, release day brings a proper hi-fidelity recording. Hearing a record as it should be heard: a full sonic assault through a stereo, rather than compressed audio through computer speakers can not be undervalued. Some people have already burnt out on this record and they haven't even heard it properly...

Then again, I'm a dinosaur that still buys CDs and vinyl. A lot of people don't care enough about sitting and really listening to a record anymore, so to some a proper vinyl or CD release will mean nothing.

I am totally with Gtrplyr on this, but of course I brought it up in the first place. Being even older than he is and being far less tech saavy I had nothing but problems trying to unpack the mp3s so I gave up in a hurry, figuring I would hear it on July 1; which was also a fallacy since I heard most of it playing at Laurie's on a promo CD, that Nonesuch sent out to record stores, on real speakers, etc.

I don't care how much better it will sound on vinyl/CD or direct transmission to our brains....the buzz is over and it makes me sad.

I think there are other reasons this board is quieter than before, but I will not open up on those reasons....I also think they are fairly obvious.

LouieB

Guest Jules

I think there are other reasons this board is quieter than before, but I will not open up on those reasons....I also think they are fairly obvious.

LouieB

Yeah, people are afraid to admit how much Obama is fucking up.

Yeah, people are afraid to admit how much Obama is fucking up.

Actually he isn't, but that isn't one of the reasons....(of course you can always start a thread about how much better John McCain would have been as President if you like...)

LouieB

But one important thing to consider, release day brings a proper hi-fidelity recording. Hearing a record as it should be heard: a full sonic assault through a stereo, rather than compressed audio through computer speakers can not be undervalued. Some people have already burnt out on this record and they haven't even heard it properly...

Then again, I'm a dinosaur that still buys CDs and vinyl. A lot of people don't care enough about sitting and really listening to a record anymore, so to some a proper vinyl or CD release will mean nothing.

No, you are right. I wasn't debating that specific point. And that's why I referenced that I will spin it nonstop again when I get the vinyl. I think the lull in discussion about the new album is more a factor of being in a dead spot on the calendar. Enough time has passed since the leak, and we don't have the official release yet. LouieB's lament sounded (to me) like a typical complaint about generation Y (or is it Z these days?) or our remote control culture where people demand instantaneous gratification and then drop it after their quick fix. No one is done with W(TA).

Guest Jules

Actually he isn't, but that isn't one of the reasons....(of course you can always start a thread about how much better John McCain would have been as President if you like...)

LouieB

Well, it might kick start the board, if nothing else.

The reason for the slow down here is simple. Being down for a week and the site being harder to look at (general consensus, from what I can tell), coupled with the other board(s) that popped up during the down time, this was bound to be slower.

I don't care how much better it will sound on vinyl/CD or direct transmission to our brains....the buzz is over and it makes me sad.

LouieB

The buzz would not have lasted longer if we all waited for June 30. The buzz was insane around here when the leak occurred. The same exact buzz, for the same length, would have occured on and after June 30 if we had just heard it first then. Not really sure what you are sad about.

In fact, there will probably be an uptick in buzz again on June 30. Meaning there will be two periods of buzz. Of course, the second period will be much less than the first.

Well, it might kick start the board, if nothing else.

The reason for the slow down here is simple. Being down for a week and the site being harder to look at (general consensus, from what I can tell), coupled with the other board(s) that popped up during the down time, this was bound to be slower.

:lol this is true. At this point both the right and left are down on Obama so it could get interesting. Listening to some of Fox (and Rush and the rest of those pin heads) Democracy Now, you would think that they are talking about two different Presidents.

I am on one of the other boards and not much is happening over there either. Maybe I am on the wrong other board, but frankly I don't care.

LouieB

LouieB

Everyone upped their Ritalin dosage?

Thanks for using my pic as your avatar....

LouieB

I can't even see avatars, maybe I should get Firefox here at work and be done with it. Not sure the IS guys would approve.