WTA Billboard predictions

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules

Up to #11 on Amazon, and even managed to overtake one of the Michael Jackson albums! GO WILCO GO!

FWIW, Rob Thomas is #13

Still #11 with MJ holding #1-10.

From Billboard (link)

Over on the Billboard 200 chart, it looks like the new "Now That's What I Call Music 31" compilation (Sony Music/Universal/EMI) is headed for the top slot. Industry prognosticators predict that the set could move between 140,000-150,000 in its first week. Brad Paisley's "American Saturday Night" (Arista Nashville) will also start high, with between 120,000-130,000. Rob Thomas' second solo album, "Cradlesong," could perhaps do around 105,000-120,000.

Other sets looking to open high on the Billboard 200 include Wilco's new self-titled Nonesuch/Warner Bros. album (85,000-100,000), Killswitch Engage's eponymous Roadrunner set (40,000-45,000) and Jeremih's self-titled Def Jam debut (40,000-45,000).

No, I think you're misreading it.

It thanked people who have already bought it. Then it addresses those who have not bought it yet, and asked them to consider buying it now (as opposed to later down the road) in the hopes of showing a good first week of sales. Nowhere do they say to buy multiple copies.

Well, here's what they said:

Greetings friends.

It's been a long haul. We've laughed, we've cried, we've stared blankly out windows... but we're happy to say that Wilco (the album) is out now & available here and at retailers pretty much everywhere. We know from the early numbers that many of you have already pulled the trigger and purchased the cd, the vinyl and/or the download and for that we thank you wholeheartedly. For those of you who haven't gone there yet, we ask you to consider doing so today. We don't normally push this hard for you to actually "close the deal" -- there are many things we're happy to give away or suggest you donate to charity in exchange, whatever. But every few years, we need you to step up and do us a solid. This is one of those times. Wilco (the album) is, in our not-so-humble opinion, a must have. And with your help, the band could potentially have it's best ever first week. Note the gorgeously-packaged super hi-fi 180-gram vinyl version contains a free copy of the cd inside. Our friend Alfred (the camel) looks great in that large format. Also available of course via iTunes and etc.

I find these recent "step Up the support" emails a little strange. Including concerts, merch, travel expenses, I spend a pretty stupid amount of money on Wilco each year, and have for about a decade now. They just come across as a bit insulting. If you want to buy the album then do it, but the emails almost sound like they're begging.

It seems that the last few years the band has become very commerce oriented. Before the onslaught begins, I say that being somewhat torn. On the one hand I feel like "Hey cool off, I like this band but I'm not rich" and on the other hand I will constantly buy whatever they slap a Wilco label on (and they have slapped a Wilco label on just about everything). Where does everybody else stand? Is it cool that you can buy a Wilco scarf, toys, etc. ? Or do you feel like your support is sometimes being taken advantage of?

It seems that the last few years the band has become very commerce oriented. Before the onslaught begins, I say that being somewhat torn. On the one hand I feel like "Hey cool off, I like this band but I'm not rich" and on the other hand I will constantly buy whatever they slap a Wilco label on (and they have slapped a Wilco label on just about everything). Where does everybody else stand? Is it cool that you can buy a Wilco scarf, toys, etc. ? Or do you feel like your support is sometimes being taken advantage of?

The most recent email simply asks Wilco fans to support the band by buying their album for $9.99. No need to be rich. It's obviously directed at the folks who have already downloaded the leaked album but feel no obligation to buy it.

The most recent email simply asks Wilco fans to support the band by buying their album for $9.99. No need to be rich. It's obviously directed at the folks who have already downloaded the leaked album but feel no obligation to buy it.

There is a way to stop this, but of course it is too late. Don't start sending advance copies to everyone on earth six weeks in advance.

Most people who are going to buy an album are going to buy either the CD or the LP so they now have a physical copy. The rest may be just as happy with an early download copy and never buy the $9.99 version since it is basically the same thing as the free copy.

When every fan who wants to hear a new album can in fact hear that new album (even me and I didn't even figure out how to download the fucking thing....)before it comes out, analyze the crap out of it and move on to something else prior to the actual release, this kind of begging is going to go on.

Oh and by the way.....I love Wilco as much as the next fan, but they have been commmerce driven for a very long time, that's what musicians do, sell merch and themselves, otherwise they would be on a street corner somewhere giving it away for free. (And they would have no need of Tony Margaretta if they weren't commerce driven.) I would like a nice new bumper sticker, are they selling those???

(And just for the record (pun intended..) I bought both the LP and the CD even though I know the CD is in the LP.)

LouieB

Wilco sent out the same type of e-mail when Sky Blue Sky was released, just saying to support the band even though we already have the music...not unreasonable.

I think you'd have to be a pretty big asshole, not to actually buy the physical format of a release from a band that gives so much for free.

I and my boyfriend both bought copies this weekend even tho we both already had physical copies from the leak. Also, my best friend called me to tell me that at a local music store, Newbury Comics, W(TA) was #1 new album sold this week in their company.

I am predicting #3 for Billboard.

I and my boyfriend both bought copies this weekend even tho we both already had physical copies from the leak. Also, my best friend called me to tell me that at a local music store, Newbury Comics, W(TA) was #1 new album sold this week in their company.

I am predicting #3 for Billboard.

I LOVE me some Newbury Comics (my favorite Amazon order spot)

Here in Louisville it was completely sold out at one local indie store the day after the release, and the much bigger indie store told me it was by far there top selling record of the week, and lastly it was the album of the week, with all songs from the album in heavy rotation of WFPK 91.9. Should be enough for a fall show here in Louisville.

They had a decent display at Target last weekend, better than I recall ever seeing for them before, so this might be their "mainstream" breakthrough.

Yup, that's where the b/f and I both got ours (two different sides of the state tho).