WTA Billboard predictions

Guest Jules

So any word on how this is faring compared to Michael Jackson?

LouieB

Still behind about 10 MJ albums on amazon. Doesn't matter for Billboard, though.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Best Buy the other day and they had a whole bunch of W(TA) and Rob Thomas discs in prominent display at the front of the store. These were the obvious big push CDs for the week. Also noticed the same at a few other stores. This I'm sure will result in Wilco's biggest opening week yet, hopefully.

Here in Louisville it was completely sold out at one local indie store the day after the release, and the much bigger indie store told me it was by far there top selling record of the week, and lastly it was the album of the week, with all songs from the album in heavy rotation of WFPK 91.9. Should be enough for a fall show here in Louisville.

I concur. Iroquois again would be nice...

The Associated Press

iTunes' top 10 selling albums of the week ending July 6, 2009:

Albums:

1. "The Essential Michael Jackson," Michael Jackson

2. "Cradlesong," Rob Thomas

3. "Number Ones," Michael Jackson

4. "American Saturday Night," Brad Paisley

5. "Wilco," Wilco

6. "Thriller," Michael Jackson

7. "The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies)," Black Eyed Peas

8. "Killswitch Engage," Killswitch Engage

9. "Off the Wall," Michael Jackson

10. "Wait for Me," Moby

Guest Speed Racer

Album of the week on 89.3 "The Current" in Minneapolis.

The only time I listen to 89.3 is in my girlfriend's car, and she's getting real damned sick of me "SSHHH"-ing her and turning up the radio every time a WTA tune comes on (which, honestly, is every time I've been in the car with her since the release). :lol

The question is why do you care? My ability to enjoy a band has never been wrapped up in how much others like a band. So I never follow the "charts." It is nice to see the boys getting validation from the public has a whole. But I fear it has a downside.

Mainly bigger live venues, more expensive tickets, and more dumbasses at shows.

Hey but that is me.

Guest Speed Racer

The question is why do you care? My ability to enjoy a band has never been wrapped up in how much others like a band. So I never follow the "charts." It is nice to see the boys getting validation from the public has a whole. But I fear it has a downside.

Mainly bigger live venues, more expensive tickets, and more dumbasses at shows.

Hey but that is me.

Yeah, wouldn't want the band you love to actually be successful, enjoy the fruits of their labor and enjoy a higher standard of living. ;)

For fans of a band with notoriously mild/even-paced record sales, it's simply a fun curiousity to see how they chart the first time they actually have a good chance at doing well.

= less of me at shows....

Is it possible for there to be more dumbasses at shows??

LouieB

As long as they prefer to stand during shows, it doesn't bother me. :ninja

Guest Speed Racer

= less of me at shows....

Is it possible for there to be more dumbasses at shows??

At the two shows I've been to (one solo, one Wilco), veteran fans were as obnoxious to me as the one or two dumbasses. Sure, one vocal dumbass can really ruin a moment, but the chatter of the vets (some of whom were VCers) pre-show was downright rude and unwelcoming. I sure as hell didn't introduce myself. Not that first-time fans should really be deterred by what people two rows away are saying about other people at the show, but it created a pretty unwelcoming environment at an event that is decidedly community-based.

I don't mean to razz on anyone in particular, and I'm the first to admit people-watching is fun as hell, but hardcore fans and assholes at shows are not exclusive demographics.

To me, the ratio of dumbass to other audience memeber remains constant (let's say 1:10), but larger venues mean there are more dumbasses in sheer volume. They also mean a generally less-intimate atmosphere, which really makes the dumbasses stick out less.

I'm not a huge fan of concerts in general, precisely because I don't like having to share Wilco/other music in public on other people's terms. I always get less out of it than I want, but instead of complaining/showing up and yelling at talkers I just accept it and don't go to that many.

Wilco missed a #1 record by one week. Here's how the charts would have looked had W(TA) come out one week earlier:

#1. Wilco - Wilco (the Album) - 99,000

#2. Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D. - 88,000

#3. Jonas Brothers - Lines, Vines and Trying Times - 68,000

#4. Regina Spektor - Far - 50,000

#5. The Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King - 47,000

-- Wilco has the best sales week of its career wtih "Wilco (The Album)." The set opens with a career-high 99,000 copies sold. The band's 2007 album, "Sky Blue Sky," opened with 87,000 copies sold. Wilco began streaming its latest on its website more than a month ago -- a typical practice for the band -- and appeared on "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" in advance of the album's release. This mark's Wilco's third top 10 album on the U.S. pop chart.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/07/wilco-paisley-jeremih-debuts-overshadowed-by-michael-jackson-.html

Now 31 counts?!? Really?!? That is the like collection of latest radio hits, right?

I'm not a huge fan of concerts in general, precisely because I don't like having to share Wilco/other music in public on other people's terms.

Shit. I have been trying to articulate that feeling for years now with no success. Thank you.

My only problem is that I love hearing the music.

The conundrum of success vs ``artistic integrity'' vs our own fandom and the ``they're all MINE'' has been an ongoing saga for me and countless other fans. I remember loving the Blasters and wanting to proselytize for them everywhere in the hopes more people would like them and thus, they would have the fame their rightly deserved. But really, would anyone have wished world-wide fame on them? It wasn't ever realistic given the narrowcasting of radio stations and the kind of music the band was playing in the fading era of REO Speedwagon and the dawn of MJ and Madonna. X, another fave of mine, tried mightily to break out by hiring different producers and doing just about anything they could to get heard. And when they weren't heard, they complained about it on More Fun in the New World. It isn't just the Blasters or X - it can be any of your favourite artists here.

I remember when the Clash broke through with Combat Rock and all it did was bring idiots to the shows who didn't get what the hell the music was about and seemed bored until the Clash played Rockin' the Casbah. The same for the Replacements when they toured with Tom Petty in the late 1990s - it just wasn't fun watching people swerve into what we had already staked out. So it's a bit weird - I should have been happy that my favourites were finally getting through and then all I could feel was actually benign contempt for the new fans and their behaviour. Of course there was a snob factor: ``why the hell weren't you here THREE years ago? Plus there was the fact that the concerts weren't as loose or fun and the bands were adapting to playing large halls and sheds. The Grateful Dead went though a period at the end where they picked up a huge lot of people who absolutely ruined the shows - they weren't there for the music, more the drugs, and it showed. Plus by that point Jerry was so gone the band had teleprompters to help him out.

REM is one of the few bands that I have been happy to watch grow huge - they did it in a way that somehow picked everyone up for the ride without seeming classist about it - I started with them in clubs and saw them last year in a stadium and at no time did I have that weird feeling that someone else was crashing Our Party. The Ramones, thank god, never managed to get themselves into a situation whereby a huge influx of new fans was trucked in. Either you were on the weird train with them or you weren't.

All that said, #4 on the charts is pretty darned good and they should feel happy about this and enjoy the slowly budding success. On top of that, in another era before Soundscan, Nonesuch would have had to buy that spot in Billboard for them.

#11 for week 2. Looks like it probably sold around 25,000 in the second week according to data about the Top 10.