WTA Billboard predictions

I have no idea who they're up against next week, but I'd be stunned if it's not Top 5, with around 150,000 opening week sales. I'll go with #4 to be precise. Post your guesses here in advance and lets see who gets it right.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about Rob Thomas, but he has an album coming out next week as well. Is he bigger than Wilco?

I'll also guess 3.

I figure it leaked and some people probably won't buy it.

Since I don't typically care about album sales, are iTunes sales taken into account?

Kristofor

PS I remember Prince did something cool in 2004, where everyone that bought tickets to his show got a copy of his new album when they showed up to the show. It kept him on Billboard for a long time. Well, for as long as he was on tour.

Rob Thomas has talked at length about how he's a Wilco fan and how they probably think he sucks for being a multi-platinum selling douchebag. So if a Rob Thomas album kept Wilco out of the #1 spot, that would be ironic indeed.

I wouldn't have expected Wilco to be #1 regardless of who else releases something that week. Realistically, I think they'll come in at 2 or 3. Has this album been heavily promoted, beyond the tour and the Conan appearance?

Good point there. WXRT has made it's fair share of plugs, but most people (that care) probably know about Wilco or the album here in Chicago already. I'd like to think Sky Blue Sky was a bit more premoted before the street date.

Especially with magazine covers and articles... havent seen much this time around.

The album leaking could also mean for more positive sales, as it opened up to a lot of people that may have not taken the opportuninty to listen otherwise. Leakage certainly didn't hurt DMB in their first couple weeks of album sales. I'll predict #2, missing out by a slim margin to Matchbox 20 boy.

MJ albums might actually crack this week's Billboard Top 10. There was a cover story here in Louisville today about every single music carrier in the city selling out of his records yesterday. I can only assume this is going on everywhere. How crazy would it be if one of his records ended up making Wilco post lower on the charts?

MJ albums might actually crack this week's Billboard Top 10. There was a cover story here in Louisville today about every single music carrier in the city selling out of his records yesterday. I can only assume this is going on everywhere. How crazy would it be if one of his records ended up making Wilco post lower on the charts?

I doubt that that will affect Wilco's first week sales ranking. By the time those charts are revealed, the MJ craze will have died down, because everyone will have already bought the records between his death and early next week. So by W(TA)'s release, MJ records will go back to selling like they were a week ago.

But maybe not.

1. Michael Jackson - Thriller

2. Wilco - Wilco (The Album)

That would be a strange sight indeed.

With the renewed interest in MJ, the Wilco disc could be out of the top 5. The one thing that will help Wilco is that there's probably more copies of W(TA) shipped to stores this week than MJ ones. So they might still end up at, or near the top.

I think the Starbucks factor will be huge. I had a coupon for Borders so I went there, then across the street to Starbucks to get a drink and read the W(TA) booklet, not dreaming that they'd have it there. With the decreasing number of record stores, just the impulse buys alone from being practically the only thing within arm's reach for most people will bump them up 2 or 3 places on the charts.

It's funny though, that for a band that really cares so little about sales their fans are concerned about it for them!

Guest Jules

It's funny though, that for a band that really cares so little about sales their fans are concerned about it for them!

I think they care plenty about sales, no?