Headed To N.Y.C. For The First Time! Suggestions?

Hey team -

I'm heading to NYC in a week to visit some friends who are either out there working for the summer or have moved out there. I've never been before, and am from Southern California. What are your recommendations for places I need to make sure to get out to (aside from the obvious tourist-y destinations) - I'm talking about cool local hangouts, and definitely some infamous NYC record stores that I've heard mentioned so many times as being the best in the world. I'm 21, but I don't want any sort of club/bar recommendations as I don't drink and I'm going to meet up w/ my girlfriend so I'm not looking for anything too crazy...sooo yeah. Any tips?

Been to NYC twice in the past year for fun and have learned quite a few things, one of the most important is buy an unlimited metro card for $21 - good for 7 days. You can ride the buses and subways to get anywhere you want to be for a fraction of the cost of cabs. Don't do the Gray Line tour thing - expensive and annoying. You get better views from the mass transit buses.

There are plenty of things you can do free - Staten Island Ferry for example, goes right by the statue of liberty.

Central Park and Riverside Park are great. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge...

Have fun!!!

be sure to catch at least one show on Broadway. it's somewhat touristy, but one of those things you need to do your first time in NYC.

If you're on a tight budget and willing to "risk" it, you can get relatively cheap day-of tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Supplies are limited and there's usually a line, but it's a good way to save a decent amount of cash.

For shorter lines, I recommend the South Street Seaport TKTS. It's a little out of the way, but with your unlimited metro card :yes , easy enough to get to.

See a Martin Rivas campfire show. He's Twisted Acres here on VC, the nicest guy on the planet, and you're guaranteed to leave the show with a smile on your face.

Definitely walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. The Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges are also walkable, although I've never walked across the Manhattan, so I can't vouch for that one. The Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge has Grimaldi's pizza, and the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. The Williamsburg Bridge takes you to (wait for it...) Williamsburg, which is interesting, but not entirely my cup of tea.

I'm a big fan of chocolate for breakfast at Max Brenner (2nd Avenue at 9th Street). I've seen great (low-key) shows at Joe's Pub and 92YTribeca. And I always put in a good word for the Tenement Museum.

Oh, and for pure people-watching fun, if you're going to a B'way show, be sure to get there early enough to spend some time in the newly pedestrianized Times Square. Craziness!

i'll be going to NYC as well this Friday and i'm taking my friend who's never been before. we'll be staying at the Chelsea Hotel which seems to be a spot most tourists tend to visit. i walked by it a couple of years ago and almost fell out when i realized where i was standing. anyways, my friend and i are both into flea markets so we'll be hitting up the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market as well as some vinyl shops. i'm also a big Kerouac nerd so i plan on going to St. Patrick's cathedral to find that little blue window Kerouac mentions in Visions of Cody. if you're into books, the Strand bookstore is a cool shop to check out. supposedly its one of the largest bookstores in the world. have fun on your trip, r1vers. don't worry too much about finding things to do, things will find you. ps: stay away from the Bowery late at night :ermm

Hey team -

I'm heading to NYC in a week to visit some friends who are either out there working for the summer or have moved out there. I've never been before, and am from Southern California. What are your recommendations for places I need to make sure to get out to (aside from the obvious tourist-y destinations) - I'm talking about cool local hangouts, and definitely some infamous NYC record stores that I've heard mentioned so many times as being the best in the world. I'm 21, but I don't want any sort of club/bar recommendations as I don't drink and I'm going to meet up w/ my girlfriend so I'm not looking for anything too crazy...sooo yeah. Any tips?

I would go for Dim Sum in Chinatown..that is always fun. Also if you are more adventurous I would go to a Mets or Yankees game all accessable by train. Also Paul Mccartney will be playing at Citi Field and tickets are going cheap on ebay. Also go to the Bronx Zoo if you get a chance. In Manhattan I also would recommend a jog around Central park (There zoo is fun too), A trip to Zabars (best food store in NYC 72nd and Broadway?), and if you are in the touristy mood a walk around Rockerfeller Center, Times Square and Battery Park. Have fun!

Make sure you see a show at CBGB's. It's hard to find these days but definitely worth your effort.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but in case you aren't, CBGB closed a little while ago so it might be tough to get to a show there. You could go visit the John Varvatos store currently in its location, though. :pirate

Lots of good ideas here, but I would also suggest that you check out the brand new High Line Park, built on an old elevated subway track. I would highly suggest walking across the Brooklyn Bridge then checking out the NY Transit Museum, followed by lunch or dinner at one of the many awesome restaurants in Brooklyn Heights. I'm actually not a big fan of Grimaldi's pizza, and I think some of the smaller hole-in-wall places are better, but it's definitely an experience. The ice cream shop on the Brooklyn Promenade is insanely good.

PS1 is a fun little museum in Long Island City, Queens (very close to midtown Manhattan), where you will also find many delicious and cheap restaurants. Otherwise, there are always plenty of outdoor (and mostly free) concerts, movies, and events happening on any given day/night in the summer - pick up the latest issue of Time Out New York when you get here, it has the most comprehensive listings (you could also check out their website).

Have fun!

i'll be going to NYC as well this Friday and i'm taking my friend who's never been before. we'll be staying at the Chelsea Hotel which seems to be a spot most tourists tend to visit. i walked by it a couple of years ago and almost fell out when i realized where i was standing. anyways, my friend and i are both into flea markets so we'll be hitting up the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market as well as some vinyl shops. i'm also a big Kerouac nerd so i plan on going to St. Patrick's cathedral to find that little blue window Kerouac mentions in Visions of Cody. if you're into books, the Strand bookstore is a cool shop to check out. supposedly its one of the largest bookstores in the world. have fun on your trip, r1vers. don't worry too much about finding things to do, things will find you. ps: stay away from the Bowery late at night :ermm

any vinyl shop recommendations?

any vinyl shop recommendations?

Head to Om Music on 4th St between B'way and Lafayette....walk west across 4th take a seat by the new fountain in Wash Sq Park....head over to Bleeker and just keep walking....your bound to find it all.