NHL 2010-2011 Season Thread

You are mainly talking about the last 10 years, with which I would readily agree with your point. I am mainly talking about the last 40 years, when sellouts were far more common. Also, draft picks are what you make of them. You have to know who to pick. They have picked more than their fair share of dogs over the years with those high draft picks. When the management improved (Dale Tallon especially), their draft picks improved as well.

I hate watching sports played badly by the teams I love. Frankly, why would I waste my time? Does that make me less of a fan? It definitely makes me a more judicious one.

Personally, I don't have an issue with rewarding a shitty team with high draft picks. That's how every league works, and should work. They've even installed the lottery system so that teams wouldn't tank to get the 1st pick (cough Penguins cough Lemieux cough).

A good Blackhawks team is good for the NHL. If the Hawks win the Cup, I'd prefer they go through Detroit to do so. It doesn't look like it will play out that way this year.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it took the death of an owner to get some results for Chicago, not high draft picks.

The Detroit Lions have been the leading example that Cowboy Poet is describing.

They are terrible year in and year out and are rewarded with #1 draft picks, but that has not done anything for the organization, but sell more jerseys to the union boys in the automotive factories.

I agree with the worst team getting the first picks. I also agree that it is not the picks that make the team better (obviously it helps) but the organization has to be good as a whole, from the top on down.

To Cowboy Poet's point - the Hawks are an Original 6 team, just like the Leafs. And Harold Ballard was as bad (or worse) than Bill Wirtz. I agree that it's even more dispicable to see these things in an O6 town...but you have to make an allowance for that; these cities have deep hockey roots, and the game will prevail, eventually. Leafs last won the Cup in '67, Hawks in '61. It'd be good for hockey if the Hawks won it this year.

I would pay big money for an animated gif of Dustin Byfuglien knocking the stick out of H Sedin's hand, then Henrik falling/tripping over it toward the end of the second period of game 4. It could have been the other way around, btw. This was pure comedy -- nothing to do with which team did what.

Also, one thing I loved about the hawks playing in Vancouver was the Tragically Hip song in between plays. Love the Hip.

Also, one thing I loved about the hawks playing in Vancouver was the Tragically Hip song in between plays. Love the Hip.

Yeah, there is something magical about hearing the Hip at a hockey game. I saw their last show at the old Winnipeg Arena and they changed the words in Fifty Mission Cap from "Leafs" to "Jets", it was so sweet!

It should be a great, hard-fought game tonight. It will be interesting to see how Luongo responds after Friday's shelling.

I'm not saying fire the owner, if that was possible. I'm saying that finishing dead last for so long wouldn't be acceptable in a market where hockey is king. That's what makes it unfair. Some markets can tank it and get by, others can't. You can't say hockey is king in Chicago, there's four other teams in that city that are ahead of the Hawks. Look at Toronto and how desperate they were to rebuild that team quickly, though it did backfire. They've been a middle of the pack team for years now. Unfortunately the one time they did finish at the bottom, they traded away their picks.... regardless! My entire point is: teams shouldn't have to finish at the bottom of the pack to become successful. It's 100% rewarding failure.

There would be a ton public outcry if the Flames were losing on purpose. I just can't see it working in hockey markets. That's why all these teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, LA, have been in markets with potential, but they'll never be the top team like the Canucks are.

And no, I don't think they deserve it, I never even met a Hawks fan until last year! Now they're all showing up... smells like bandwagoning to me. I'm not saying you're one, but there's a ton of Hawk fans who didn't seem to care during the lousy years.

I'm not saying that the draft picks shouldn't go to the team who finishes last, but I do think the NHL should investigate teams who purposely try to lose... Like Pittsburgh getting Mario.

Anyways, it doesn't matter because the league will never do anything about it. I'm probably just being a moody Canucks fan. Hopefully they can cheer me up tonight... if not my rage might transform me into a giant blue-green-white Hulk-like monster.

But more importantly...! I find it funny when American's like the Hip. I can't stand them but that's probably cause they're extremely overplayed on any Canadian radio station.

But more importantly...! I find it funny when American's like the Hip. I can't stand them but that's probably cause they're extremely overplayed on any Canadian radio station.

Cannot stand the Hip. One song I like.

Cannot stand the Hip. One song I like.

Once I got stuck in an all day car ride with my sister and she played both discs of the Tragically Hip best-of-comp. It is top-5 in the worst days of my life. :monkey

Canucks fan here, would just like to say I disagree completely with Cowboy Poet.

Kane and Toews being high draft picks aside (and keeping in mind the Sedins' draft position), recent Blackhawks management has seemed extremely proactive in rebuilding the team. They've signed big-name free agents (Hossa, Campbell, Huet), made wise trades (Sharp, Ladd), hit extremely well on some late-ish draft picks (Keith, Versteeg, Bolland, Hjalmarsson), and hired a good, experienced coach in Joel Quenneville. I wish it weren't so, but they've seemingly demoralized every one of the Canucks and their fans.

Ugh. The whole game was oddly subdued on both sides of the puck. Almost like it wasn't a playoff game. You gotta hand it to the Canucks, but clearly the Hawks did not play well at all. The puck was bouncing all night, passes were off or not handled, and they were not in position like they had been in the earlier games in Vancouver. Well, we'll see what happens Tues.

And I can understand when bands are over played, but I think the Tragically Hip are fab. I have that two disk compilation, and I love it :pirate

Well, I will not be taking any road trips with you then, sir! Regardless of your fondness of Wilco and hockey.

Anyways... Roberto is back!!! You'd have to imagine they can win Tuesday at home.... hmm....

Well, I will not be taking any road trips with you then, sir! Regardless of your fondness of Wilco and hockey.

I am not a sir.

Sorry chicago people, but there are a lot of bandwagon fans in that town. of course you have your loyal fans but since the Hawks got new management, won some games, obtained new young talent, and GOT ON LOCAL TV, there is a lot more excitement so yes there are more fans/bandwagoners. I dont live there but i work in and around Chicago. I've seen a lot more Hawks hats and shirts/jerseys being worn than i used to see 5 years ago.

Sorry chicago people, but there are a lot of bandwagon fans in that town. of course you have your loyal fans but since the Hawks got new management, won some games, obtained new young talent, and GOT ON LOCAL TV, there is a lot more excitement so yes there are more fans/bandwagoners. I dont live there but i work in and around Chicago. I've seen a lot more Hawks hats and shirts/jerseys being worn than i used to see 5 years ago.

See, I don't get this. Why should people waste their time watching a team (any team in any sport) that sucks? Winning is better -- not only do they win, but they play the game well. Rivalries do not arise amongst bottom feeders. These are things that make sports exciting to watch, and therefore naturally people will want to watch them.

Maybe we need a definition. Are "bandwagoners":

(1) people that are new to the sport

(2) people that come and go based on how well the team is playing

(3) something else

So why is being a bandwagoner necessarily a bad thing?

I think that the TV thing is the biggest thing in Chicago.

If you can't watch the team, how easy is it to be a fan? Not as easy as it is if you can actually SEE them play. I don't blame folks for being new fans since Rocky took over from his dad. The fact is... the team is simply a lot more fan-friendly now: winning or not. (I'm just glad that they are!)

You didn't see this many "bandwagon" fans back in the early 90's when Chelios, Roenick, Belfour, et. al. made it to the Cup Finals! Did you?

So, it's not just winning. It's new Hawk fans... who are new HOCKEY fans, too (most likely).

God forbid hockey should grow as a sport by attracting new fans. That'd be awful.

who are the geniuses at the nhl that schedule the playoff games? Two games tonight, both start at 7et. Wouldn't it be better for tv, especially when you have one channel broadcasting your games, to stagger the start times? say 6et and 8et? 630 and 830? pretty much any local time between 6-830 is acceptable in my opinion; I don't think anything in that range is unreasonable. And you'd essentially have 2 games on tv instead of 1; how is that not the preferred route? I think nba playoff scheduling (what I understand of it) is ridiculous, catering too much to television with numerous days off between games to ensure Saturday and Sunday have the most intriguing games (or whatever), local start times at random to suit tv, etc.. But, you know, a little bit of that awareness would be all right. It's happened a few times this year, too, with your classic 2-game week-night where you catch the last 10 minutes of the third period of the '2nd' game because it started 30 minutes after the '1st'. I swear the nhl has some real buffoons in leadership positions. Ridiculous.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Before last year's Western Conference Finals, I hadn't watched more than probably 5 Blackhawks games since about 1993. For one, the games weren't televised. And, the Jordan-era Bulls were in full swing and ruled the city. But really, I'm just a much bigger football and baseball fan - I live for the Bears and Cubs. After that series against the Wings last year, I've gotten more and more into hockey. The Hawks are a good team, and they're a lot of fun to watch. I'm learning a lot about the game as well. They've renewed my interest in the sport.

They've renewed interest in hockey for many Chicagoans. They've done so by televising more games, sure, but they're really doing so by winning.

See, I think you guys are proving my point. Bandwagon or not, the fanbase is new, and even though the team has stunk for years, the fans haven't been suffering with the team. The fans haven't payed their due yet. :pirate

But that's ok! They might not even get out of the second round, never mind to the cup final, so it's a moot point for now!

See, I think you guys are proving my point. Bandwagon or not, the fanbase is new, and even though the team has stunk for years, the fans haven't been suffering with the team. The fans haven't payed their due yet. :pirate

But that's ok! They might not even get out of the second round, never mind to the cup final, so it's a moot point for now!

That is completely insane. I realize they have good weed up there in Vancouver, but, dude.

That is completely insane. I realize they have good weed up there in Vancouver, but, dude.

I don't live in Vancouver. I also don't smoke pot. So maybe I'm just crazy!

to me this description defines bandwagon fans:

(2) people that come and go based on how well the team is playing

yes, the Hawks on TV has sprouted more fans, I dont think that is a bad thing. I believe the Hawks franchise is sort of saving the NHL. yes, the NHL needs more fans. But whenever you get a lot of fans, there is always a percentage of bandwagon fans, people who only show up because the team is winning or that the arena has become the 'place to be.'

I didnt say bandwagon fans are a negative thing. They drive up attendance, spend money on merchandise, etc...NHL needs bandwagon fans. There were a lot of bandwagon fans during the Olympics, that is for sure, and that isnt a bad thing.

I understand Cowboy Poet about fans not suffering with the team. But to me, that is not too important. but sure, i get annoyed by fans who only cheer for winning teams. Those are fair-weather fans.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

I either don't like or don't understand your point.

My point: I don't need to pay any dues to root for the Hawks. I'm welcome to be a new fan, and I'm not ashamed that I am.

Now, the kind of fan I can't stand, is the new fan that tries to pretend like they're a long time fan.

Re: fans paying their dues, this is the last time any Original 6 teams won the Stanley Cup-

Red Wings '08

Rangers '94

Canadiens '93

Bruins '72

Maple Leafs '67

Black Hawks '61