Lewiston, Ny 7.19.09

I just read my above post and it sounds like a blog entry rather than a review. Sorry to anyone that read it and wanted me to shut the fuck up.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pet Peeves:

1) Cell phones/cameras at concerts. It is so damn distracting sitting behind people that constantly put their arms in the air trying to get a photo or video and then watch their footage back during the show. When Jeff had the young lady strum along during Spiders some dude was taking shots of himself with Jeff as the backdrop. Jeff just shook his head and didn't look impressed that this cool moment in the show was being upstaged by this knobs self-portrait. Put the cameras away people and enjoy the show.

I couldn't agree more with this entire post. I'm glad someone else noticed and was irked by the picture. The second that pic was taken Jeff broke out of the hazey Spiders jam. I thought that was the best Spiders I've heard and seen. The guitar jam solo that he did later also sounded different then his usual riff. It's a shame such a great moment was ruined.

And based on the complaints I've read about cell phone photographers, I have to apologize as I was doing it a little, but I hope I wasn't too annoying.

Were you the people on the end of the row on Nels's side? If so, I was sitting right next to you.

I don't mind occasional pictures and I usually take some myself (I forgot my camera in my car on Sunday, which I'm still kicking myself for), but when people seem more interested in taking pictures than paying attention to the concert and have no shame in holding up their cameras and obstructing people's views for 30 seconds or a minute waiting to get a good shot, that's just rude. There were two rows of guys right in front of me the whole night who seemed more interested in talking about the kind of beers they were buying and taking pictures than paying any attention to the show. The guy next to me did say something to one of the biggest offenders and he stopped holding up his camera, but it was still worse than I remember ever seeing at a Wilco show. That dumbass who snapped the picture right in Jeff's face deserved to have his camera taken, though I was glad to see Jeff not react at all and just get back to the song. That's such a cool moment for whoever he picks, and that selfish guy had to wreck it.

Crowd annoyances aside, I still had a blast. In terms of setlist and energy, I'd say this is probably one of my top three or four Wilco shows ever.

When they came out for the first encore, Jeff came out to the pit, leaned out and, I think, told some guy to stop being a dick. Does anyone know what the guy did to be called out?

We were a little over to the left, close enough to see it but not close enough to know the full story.

My wife and I caught ourselves talking during the first song. Something along the lines of "Oh shit this is awesome." And then we both realized we should stop because we were right below Jeff. My greatest fear going into this show was getting yelled at by Jeff since we were up front. Luckily someone else was yelled at instead.

When they came out for the first encore, Jeff came out to the pit, leaned out and, I think, told some guy to stop being a dick. Does anyone know what the guy did to be called out?

We were a little over to the left, close enough to see it but not close enough to know the full story.

My wife and I caught ourselves talking during the first song. Something along the lines of "Oh shit this is awesome." And then we both realized we should stop because we were right below Jeff. My greatest fear going into this show was getting yelled at by Jeff since we were up front. Luckily someone else was yelled at instead.

I was right there and heard Jeff tell the guy to stop being a dick as well! It was some dude standing behind the girl that he let strum his guitar during Spiders.

Who knows, but for me personally it would be pretty disconcerting if I was called out for being a dick by one of my idols!

Something tells me that the girl who Jeff let strum his guitar is a regular at their shows. I was standing beside her and he acknowledged her a few times during the show almost like he recognized her, and when he came down to her she didn't seemed surprised or freaked out that he picked her out. It was almost like a "business as usual" type reaction when he handed her the pick.

I caught the Lewiston show as well as the Wappinger's Falls show. Both were top notch shows. I was on the lawn at Lewiston and the sound was GREAT, and half the crowd was GREAT! On the right side they were singing, dancing and clapping. I think the crowd on the left was expecting the ballet or something. They sat the entire show and bullied a couple of fans who dared to stand and block their view. As good as the Lewiston show was, Wappingers is unmatched in the 15 or so shows I've seen. Check out the set list and you'll see why.

there's a link to mp3 of the first 15 songs in the "torrent" forum...i've been waiting (im)patiently as well. i saw 2 tapers close to me (mid right) so i thought we'd get a recording without doubt

I asked one of the tapers where he planned to post the Lewiston show. He said he'd post at bt.etree.org, but it's not up yet.

• 3 weeks later...

This a tardy reply but I haven't been here lately.

My wife and I were the last 2 people standing at the stage on the Pat end. We saw both the 1st encore dick incident and the guy taken out by security incident, as they were just to our left. The 'encore dick' was trying to Zelig/Gump himself into the guitar strum scene and have a camera document what would appear to be a 'Me, my girl and Tweedy' moment (she was not with the dick). He was a drunken asshole. Jeff does good work.

The security frog march was this dumb ass that lit up a joint. He was quickly removed.

I said it earlier in the thread but it bears repeating how excellent Wilco were but also how wonderfully rockin' Conor Oberst and Co. were. Wilco ultra-rocked us but it was for the umpteenth time. We were Mystic Valley live virgins but we were continually 'O' faced.

Thanks for posting it.

They didn't play Candyfloss either.

NO!!! I didn't read this or look at the set list photo when I originally replied after the show. That is the only song I have ever wished for live since Summerteeth. Countless shows helplessly hoping. To find out over a month later that it was on the list but not played is almost too much to bear. Damn.

When this show was over, John, Pat, Nels and Glen came out by the buses. They were all super nice and willing to talk to everyone. I thanked John for touring so much. He said thanks for noticing and that it's a little hard on the family life. He also agreed that there is no place as comfortable and welcoming as a wilco show. My friend spoke with him about The Autumn Defense(a new album and a show in Toronto soon I think). I asked Nels if he farts gold dust. He assured me that he doesn't, as his assistant laughed his ass off. Pat said he recognized me from Wappingers Falls the previous night(!?!). Glen also said he saw me at this show in the audience a couple of rows back in the center. :w00t He talked about the different Nudie suit designs on the poster(whose was whose and what was on them). My drummer friend who LOVES Glen and was at his first Wilco show even got some advise from him about music school and practicing. What a night!

P.S.- I also am waiting to hear Candyfloss. I heard it was played at sound check.

...Candyfloss. I heard it was played at sound check.

I enjoyed reading your post but this was information that I did not need. :(

:lol