How Much Longer For Nels Cline?

According to my in-hand credits Leroy Bach played guitar on:

Muzzle of Bees ~ bass

-says John played piano & background vocals (Is this true? I'm not reading it backwards, I swear.)

I'm a Wheel ~ electric guitar

Theologians ~ accoustic guitar

Less Than You Think ~ accoustic guitar, loops, filters & synths

Wishful Thinking lists Bach as playing vibes. What are vibes? Are they in the percussion group?

Vibes === The vibraphone, sometimes called the vibraharp or simply the vibes, is a musical instrument in the mallet subfamily of the percussion family.

It is similar in appearance to the xylophone and marimba, although the vibraphone uses aluminum bars instead of the wooden bars of those instruments. Each bar is paired with a resonator tube having a motor-driven butterfly valve at its upper end, mounted on a common shaft, which produces a tremolo or vibrato effect while spinning. The vibraphone also has a sustain pedal similar to that used on a piano: When the pedal is up, the bars are all damped and the sound of each bar is quite short; with the pedal down, they will sound for several seconds.

The most common uses of the vibraphone are within jazz music, where it often plays a featured role, and in the wind ensemble, as a standard component of the percussion section.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilco is not Jeff Tweedy and five hired hands. This is something you don't seem to get. Don't feel bad--much of the mainstream media doesn't seem to get it, either.

Despite the romanticized notion some people have about the band, that really is kind of the way it is. Jeff is the leader and "owner" of Wilco, and he is the one who decides who stays or goes. Bob Egan, Jay Bennett, Ken Coomer, Max Johnston - basically everyone who was once in Wilco and is not anymore besides LeRoy Bach - left because Jeff did not want them in the band anymore. Now it may be true now that Jeff is happier than he's ever been with Wilco's lineup, but just because you like him and he makes good music doesn't mean that he doesn't have a track record of removing people from his band when he's done with them.

According to my in-hand credits Leroy Bach played guitar on:

Muzzle of Bees ~ bass

-says John played piano & background vocals (Is this true? I'm not reading it backwards, I swear.)

I'm a Wheel ~ electric guitar

Theologians ~ accoustic guitar

Less Than You Think ~ accoustic guitar, loops, filters & synths

Wishful Thinking lists Bach as playing vibes. What are vibes? Are they in the percussion group?

Yes, we've established that I failed to mention that Leroy, John & Jim all played guitar on AGIB in my first post. I admitted my error, now please stop badgering me for my simple slip-up. I'm only human, dammit. :P

*And vibes are just about one of the coolest sounding instruments ever. My boss plays them in his office nearly every day...love the tremolo effect - think old mysterious spy-movie soundtracks. There's vibes on "Someday, Some Morning, Sometime," from Mermaid Avenue II, run through an echo/delay pedal. I think in Kot's book he said that Tweedy/Bennett referred to it as a "delayaphone," and Tweedy found it to be one of the keys to his musical vision for YHF. Badass instrument in the hands of the right user.

*And vibes are just about one of the coolest sounding instruments ever. ... Badass instrument in the hands of the right user.

Milt Jackson approves this message.

milt_jackson_from_above.jpg

and then Jeff and Jay Farrar will regroup and produce the greatest album since Revolver, after Jay goes on the media circuit and outdoes Sarah Palin and Mark Sanford in outspokeness about his excitement about things, and says 'will the media just leave them alone to be great already?'

To be perfectly honest, I would be perfectly ok with this scenario.

and here i thought an overly-sensitive vagina was a good thing...

MCA- Yo I don't hang out with those guys, man I aint got nothing to do with those dudes.

Adrock- Man I saw your female with too, whats up wit her?

Mike D- I hear that she's been giving that stuff out to all them graffiti guys.

MCA- Yo shut the fuck up chico man!

Adrock- I'd paint three of those murals for some of that ass.

Mike D- Professor, whats another word for pirate treasure?

Professor- Why I think it's booty

MCA- Yo I don't hang out with those guys, man I aint got nothing to do with those dudes.

Adrock- Man I saw your female with too, whats up wit her?

Mike D- I hear that she's been giving that stuff out to all them graffiti guys.

MCA- Yo shut the fuck up chico man!

Adrock- I'd paint three of those murals for some of that ass.

Mike D- Professor, whats another word for pirate treasure?

Professor- Why I think it's booty

why are you attributing those quotes to the Beastie Boys?

Holy fucking runaway thread. Can't leave this place for 48 hrs without all hell breaking loose.

C'mon, everybody knows Wilco will be a 25-piece jazz-funk orchestra by 2011. No subtracts, just adds. 3-4 VC'ers will be in the band by then too. New recordings on iTunes every month, to support the payroll. Nels will conduct the guitar section, and most local authorities will start to enforce the union rules that forbid his spasmodic fits of passion, thus solving the aging gracefully issue.

I know, but it's not them.

EDIT: jff beat me to it.

I did not know where that sample came from until I read this thread. I always wondered, though. And I had never heard of the movie Wild Style. Now I know a whole bunch of stuff I didn't know when I woke up this morning.

I found it interesting that Spawn's Dad even assigned the dialog to the members of the Beasties. :lol It makes me wish it really was them saying those things.

Now, back to Nels. I wonder how many murals he'd paint for some of that ass.

Jesus, calm down. I didn't assign anything. Computers have this new feature called cut and paste. And there are actually sites with song lyrics. I just wanted to post that, not get a lecture on where it was sampled from.

Jesus, calm down. I didn't assign anything. Computers have this new feature called cut and paste. And there are actually sites with song lyrics. I just wanted to post that, not get a lecture on where it was sampled from.

shut the fuck up Gary

Despite the romanticized notion some people have about the band, that really is kind of the way it is. Jeff is the leader and "owner" of Wilco, and he is the one who decides who stays or goes. Bob Egan, Jay Bennett, Ken Coomer, Max Johnston - basically everyone who was once in Wilco and is not anymore besides LeRoy Bach - left because Jeff did not want them in the band anymore. Now it may be true now that Jeff is happier than he's ever been with Wilco's lineup, but just because you like him and he makes good music doesn't mean that he doesn't have a track record of removing people from his band when he's done with them.

It sounds dismissive to say that those who see Wilco as a collective have a romanticized notion of the band. Obviously, Wilco has a leader. No question about that. But I think viewing the members beyond Jeff as "hired hands" is a very distorted picture of how they function as a band. I don't have a problem with this collective having a leader, in fact I think that's essential. But from years of watching the band, I can't go along with the idea that the members are simply hired hands. That's not the dynamic I see.

It's natural that in a band, as anywhere in life, people grow and change and their relationships with each other change, as well as their needs of one another. Sometimes people move on when they no longer fit. Sometimes it's on their own impetus, sometimes they are told they need to go. But that flexing and adjusting is just something that happens in any arena of life, not just in bands.

I guess I don't really disagree that Jeff has taken the steps to remove those who aren't fitting the collective anymore. But it hasn't seemed to me to be a solo decision (far from it) and I think it's harsh to frame his decisions as "removing people from his band when he's done with them". I think he's had to make some tough choices when people no longer fit, but the payoff is the current band, a collective of talents who all respect each others' musicianship. This Wilco works amazingly well as a collective. They feed off each others' ideas and abilities.

Long story short, I guess I'm fine with the set-up. Not that anyone needed my okay. :)