Now that it's been about five years...

Do we have a clear answer as to why Leroy Bach left the band? It doesn't appear that it was acrimonious. But there has never really been a clean statement as to why from either camp.

There are/were statements galore from both parties about Max Johnson, Ken Coomer, Bob Egan (to a certain degree) and, of course Jay. But there is nothing concrete about Leroy.

Not wanting to start a flame war or pissing match, but I am really curious about this.

I once read some where that he was not up for touring... I wish I knew where I read that so I could cite it.

Which I don't really buy..didn't he hit the road with Beth Orton in 06 and Iron and Wine in 07?

Which I don't really buy..didn't he hit the road with Beth Orton in 06 and Iron and Wine in 07?

both were short tours. not the same as being on the road as a career, which is pretty much what Wilco does. there's no secret reason behind his leaving, he just didn't feel like being in the band anymore.

From Glenn's interview with "Getting in Tune" 1/31/2006

Although disappointed with Bach's decision, Kotche maintains he has nothing but respect for his former band mate. "I still think the world of him. It was great playing music with him. He just felt he was done; he needed to try some new things," says Kotche. "There was no animosity, no weirdness. It’s better he did that instead of staying around for a paycheck and be a disgruntled band member. I think he’s a tremendous musician, and I really respect him, personally. I love his personality and the way he goes about things. I miss that."

Link to article: http://gettingintune.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_archive.html

I certainly would love to hear those "cabin session" recordings.

Guest Runaway Jim

What the fugg is wrong with You Never Know and What Light?

i think What Light is the worst Wilco song. tied with It's Just That Simple.

i quite like You Never Know though.

One of Leroy's finest moments: When The Roses Bloom Again Soundstage 2003.

I still think this is the best lineup of Wilco, and I'll stand on Nels Cline's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.

--Mike

I saw Wilco in St. Louis very shortly after Bennett's departure, and it's one of my favorite Wilco shows ever. It was just the four of them, but the more spare version of Wilco was pretty stunning. Tweedy really shined in that lineup, and I loved Bach's keyboards and occassional guitar. There wasn't a lot of guitar jamming, but that seemed to be OK.

Jeff had a similiar interview to the Glenn one posted above. Sounded like Leroy just didn't want to do Wilco anymore and Jeff respected that he didn't stick around for the paycheck (almost implied that other band members had done so in the past).

I saw what I assume was on of Leroy Bach's last shows at the Val Air 9/17/03. Stood on Bach's side of the stage most of the show. He seemed bored most of the time. I was underwhelmed. Not a knock on the man, it was the 1st Wilco show I saw and everyone else was really into it and he wasn't. Guess he knew it was time to go.

i think What Light is the worst Wilco song. tied with It's Just That Simple.

i quite like You Never Know though.

Hmmm...I disagree. I think "It's Just That Simple" is great, particularly in the new lineup - really takes on the full country-soul-ballad vibe that it lacked on A.M. But is "What Light" really worse than "Leave Me Like You Found Me?"

I admire him for doing what he wanted to do. I once quit a higher paying job because I had to work too many hours. I had no life. So I quit and got my life back, no regrets.

Don't get me wrong - the money would be nice, but I'd have no time to spend it because I'd be working all the time, would be highly stressed out, and having no fun (i.e. not being able to go to concerts etc).

And to be honest, if I were a musician, I'd probably have to move on to different bands just to play different songs. I would get so sick of playing the same songs over and over and over. Seriously. I don't know how they do it.

You should probably as LeRoy. He's the one who quit because of them.

120798_what-choo-talkin-bout-willis.jpg