An open letter to all you bug squishers

Flora. Fauna. Earth.

Maybe so, but what would be the point of pursuing what's best for the planet (whatever that means) to the point of damning one's own existence? I would think that the mere fact that we are the only creature on Earth that even attempts to evaluate the pluses and minuses of our existence makes the human race something worse preserving. Without us, the planet and all of its flora and fauna is just an elaborate machine. Our presence may sometimes (or most of the time if you're particularly grumpy) keep that machine from running smoothly, but who wants a boring machine that runs perfectly for millions of years without anyone there to appreciate it?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m more intrigued with whys surrounding an individual’s decision to go out of his or her way to put an end to the existence of something that is not, by any measure, doing them harm – in this case, a harmless, non-threatening, non-poisonous house spider.

habit. we tend to have herd mentality about lots of things (see popular music). we grew up watching people squish bugs, so we squish bugs. I doubt much reflection goes into it.

that being said, one of you fuckers tries to mess with these guys and we've got a problem:

200708.2818_54_51.jpg 200707.1319_05_24.jpg

So have all the spiders that have bitten me over my lifetime intended to kill and eat me?

I will kill any cricket that I can find within earshot of me when I am trying to sleep, and my conscience is clear on that count. I have no problem killing earwigs, silverfishes, centipedes and mosquitoes on sight, but I try to be more gentle with other arthropods.

i'm with calibubble on all but crickets. They don't make me as crazy. I'll just try to get them outside. we did not use any bug killing stuff on the garden, instead we planted eggplant as a decoy and let them have at it, because neither of us likes eggplant. We had very little nibblage of anything else.

My father always taught me that if you kill a spider it will rain the next day. I will wrap it in tissue and put it outside if i can. I don't want the cats eating spiders because some times they can get sick.

Yeah, I googled "vinegaroon" after seeing the name of the attachment. I grayed out a little bit, but I think I saw them walking on people's hands. I assume these are the hands of people they have killed?

Apparently they aren't lethal but I CANNOT GET THE IMAGE OUT OF MY MIND! Creeeeeeeeeepy! I was just in my closet shaking out all my shoes.

It is possible i have seen those in our basement.

Ewwwwww! Are you still living there? My friend that found it (the second one) lives in New Mexico. I swear I think they're crawling on my feet right now. Or I'm having a flashback. The 90's were rough.

I swear I saw a vinegaroon (such a name!) on my backpack while waiting for the airport shuttle late last summer.

It was very early in the morning. I put my bags down, and when I went to pick them up, I was eyeball to eyeball with it. I might have said, "Oh, I see," before I brushed it off my bag.

Christ it was huge!

People like to call them palmetto bugs in South Carolina. As if that makes them any less disgusting.

Isn't SC known as "The Palmetto State"?

By the statement above, that's fairly close to "The Cockroach State". I know one is a tree and the other a bug... but still. :stunned

A cricket in the house is good luck. But maybe that adage only applies in the South.

In the Orient, elaborate cricket cages were carved for lucky house crickets. This cage was used for fighting crickets:

54647.jpg

Camping a few weeks ago in Indiana, I took a late night stroll to the restroom, turned on the light and saw this ten feet away on the concrete floor:

brnrecluse.jpg

(not my pic but pretty much exactly what I saw)

I didn't know until the next day that it was a brown recluse, when I researched it online.

He started scurrying toward me as I pissed at the urinal, but then took a turn and disappeared down a drain.

Heebie. Jeebies.