An open letter to all you bug squishers

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spiders are really our friends...so are bats. both eat alot of the bad bugs that take down food crops. As you all know use of pesticides is a major problem for the water and for humans. Some links for y'all to check out:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

http://www.ourwaterourworld.org/Portals/0/documents/pdf/Spiders%2009.pdf

http://www.ourwaterourworld.org/

as for the brown recluse they always lurking about at my work. Quite beautiful and not aggressive however I always wear gloves when moving the stuff around that they might be hiding in....fabulous picture of "the hand" now I'll be extra careful :yucky

In the Orient, elaborate cricket cages were carved for lucky house crickets. This cage was used for fighting crickets:

54647.jpg

I found this ass plug masquerading as a “cricket cage” photo twice if not three times more offensive than the one in which that guy has a slab of chuck steak draped over his thumb.

Camping a few weeks ago in Indiana, I took a late night stroll to the restroom, turned on the light and saw this ten feet away on the concrete floor:

brnrecluse.jpg

(not my pic but pretty much exactly what I saw)

I didn't know until the next day that it was a brown recluse, when I researched it online.

He started scurrying toward me as I pissed at the urinal, but then took a turn and disappeared down a drain.

Heebie. Jeebies.

That's almost as scary as the Flaming Lips guy blaming his heroin addiction on a brown recluse is funny.

I'm sorry, but anytime I see something that looks like it belongs in the Amazon crawling or sliding about my premises it's too late for the little critter. I've been this way ever saw this photo of a brown recluse spider bite:

Moderator edit: NSFW

Oh yeah, enjoy your lunch, folks.

I think that dude probably waited a little long before seeking medical attention.

I am in agreement with the original post.

Seriously, WTF?

I squish bugs I don't like and go out of my way to save bugs I like

Bugs I don't like: Spiders, Roaches, Spiders, Flies

Bugs I like: Bees, Crickets, Lady Bugs

And why I feel the need to comment on this inane post I can't even begin to guess

I can't help it, I hate bugs/insects & think they are creepy & yucky.

But I won't kill one unless it is really offensive.

Being the mom of two boys, I will go out of my way (and comfort zone) to point out "cool" bugs to them.

They are both fascinated by bugs/worms/frogs & I love them for it.

And why I feel the need to comment on this inane post I can't even begin to guess

Well gee Crow, I’m sorry this thread doesn’t quite measure up to the profundity bar set by one of your Ziggy inspired, dear diary posts.

Well gee Crow, I’m sorry this thread doesn’t quite measure up to the profundity bar set by one of your Ziggy inspired, dear diary posts.

Good to see the money you spent on the Dale Carnegie course is paying off...

Meow.jpg

Ewwwwww! Are you still living there? My friend that found it (the second one) lives in New Mexico. I swear I think they're crawling on my feet right now. Or I'm having a flashback. The 90's were rough.

You get used to things much worse than that rather quickly in New Mexico. I had a black widow living in my storage shed. I contemplated killing it but I pictured the process going horribly wrong, me missing it with my shoe, losing my balance over my lawn mower, falling, pulling the web and spider down with me, and dying a horrible death as the spider exacts its revenge on me. Needless to say we agreed to disagree and coexisted peacefully.

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason...this response has bothered me for about three weeks.

As someone how IDOLIZES a person who lost the battle with depression, I figured you might have a bit more insight to my "Ziggy inspired, dear diary posts."

It's a battle every day. And, I've been winning it for about five years. But I can't always guarantee to myself that I will win.

I find the anonymity of this place a comfortable place to let the black dog loose.

I will probably delete this post. But part of my battle gives root to my need for being understood.

Hey Crow - my apologies. I don't have time to respond at length at the moment, but I'll pm you when I get a chance.

I just thought of this thread. Under 5 minutes ago I opened up my window, and I forgot that I did not have a screen in! In flies the biggest moth I have ever seen. Now normally I would just leave my door open and let the guy do his thing, but it is close to bedtime and I don't want him flying all over me. If I see him, he is DONE!

I watched in horror while wasps dined on my fat swallowtail caterpillars like so much raw hamburger.

I still capture and release them if I find them in my house.

I spit on earthworms and tuck them under damp leaves if I happen upon them struggling across dry pavement.

I have also been known to fish with them.

You are clearly a study in contradictions.

Is it.....twins?

Luna lovers. :wub

That's pretty awesome. No reason to rain on their parade, either, if you catch my drift...

I really was joking about the "twins" thing you realize...to be all Britney Spears (sorry)"I'm not (quite) that innocent". And I think more people would go to parades if....oh never mind...