Less Than You Think

i apologize if this has been posted before, but i'm looking for an mp3 of less than you think that has the 12 minutes of noise edited out... for the purpose of putting this song on a mix cd. i own the album but don't have the editing tools (or expertise) to do this on my own!

thanks for your help!

You can do it in iTunes. Just go to the song's info, and change the end time.

Are you kidding? My method that I did about 4 months ago was to use my vinyl ripping software and lift the needle when the drone began.

I'm going to try this I tunes time thing.

I get why you would want to do this edit thing (because I wanted to also). It ruins a mix cd to have 12 minutes of that going on.

Oh, what is the last song on Whiskeytown's Pneumonia? I can edit that one too, it has a crappy hidden track and goes on for 8 minutes or so. Sweet!

thanks! i didn't know about that itunes trick...

do you know if it will burn to a cd with only the first 3 minutes or is that just a way for it to skip the last 12 minutes when it is played on your computer?

Being a vinyl enthusiast and enjoying the effort it takes to listen to that particular type of media, i loved Jeff's take on the drone portion of LTYT. Saying it forces the listener be pro active while listening to that track. When you get tired of the drone how hard is it to just push a button? :dontgetit

When you get tired of the drone how hard is it to just push a button? :dontgetit

I enjoy the drone and all (no, really) but I can understand desiring an abbreviated version of the song (the melody and lyrics are gorgeous before the drone swallows the song).

If you change the end time, you can create a "new" MP3 of the song, that will only include the song up to the cut-off point. Right click the song, and I believe the option is "create AAC version." Then you can rename it, or delete the original.

Pretty simple. I use it on all albums with hidden tracks.

if you'll got to edit > preferences > import settings you can set it to rip at like 320kbps if you want a better sounding version.

I enjoy the drone and all (no, really) but I can understand desiring an abbreviated version of the song (the melody and lyrics are gorgeous before the drone swallows the song).

The drone was a interesting idea in theory, but they probably could have made the same point by having it run on for three minutes instead of thirteen. That said I usually make it pretty far into it, before I skip to The Late Greats.

--Mike

If you change the end time, you can create a "new" MP3 of the song, that will only include the song up to the cut-off point. Right click the song, and I believe the option is "create AAC version." Then you can rename it, or delete the original.

Pretty simple. I use it on all albums with hidden tracks.

or you can go to "Preferences" and edit your import settings - you have to do this to make an MP3 file, otherwise, like you said, it will make an AAC version, which is the iTunes format - different than an MP3. Or - what I do, is edit the import settings to WAV files and edit the track in the sound recorder tool in Windows...then convert it back to MP3 or AAC or whatever...

I heard them play this on back to back nights at the 9:30 in 2002 (10/14 & 10/15/2002) That was when the Beltway Sniper was still at large, taking victims. The way they performed the song then was so much more evocative to me, than the studio version. I wish they would re-visit playing this one live, sans drone.

easily the most pretentious thing jeff tweedy has done. the rock critics who cited this as brilliant are a joke.

agib is my favorite wilco album, by the way.

I would argue that it is both pretentious and brilliant. And the song loses some of its meaning without the drone. My first thought when I heard it many moons ago was WTF? But I have learned to appreciate it, and never skip it if I am playing the album all the way through. Its an interesting surreal break in the album, and it allows your own mind to either intensely focus on the ambient sounds, or sometimes to wander on to other things. It makes the experience of listening to it different every time.

Oh, and as to the original poster's request, you can also try free audio editing software. Audacity is free and fun to play with. Within minutes you can have the song edited to the length you like, you can add a fade out if you wanted just a minute or two of drone, or whatever you fancy.