Hi all,

Ok, here's the thing; very recently started seeing someone, still very casual but getting on very well, :cheekkiss hopeful of a long-term thing.... :thumbup her birthday is next week, only a month since we met. :mellow What do I get for her? I need gift ideas people! :blink Don't want to go over the top but don't want to be cheap; don't want to be heavy but want to show some thought....any help from the romantic bunch that is us Wilco fans? :worship

Think back to something she said she wanted. Remembering something she said even though it was kinda small will show that you listen to her. (super important) :yes Then cook for her - even if it turns out for shit, it really shouldn't matter.

.........and don't forget the flowers!!!

I agree with the cooking thing, even if you have no clue how to cook.

On our first real date, Jay made me dinner. Granted, I had to stand in the kitchen and tell him what pans to use, how to boil water, how to cut the vegetables, etc., but he still made it. Looking back, that was one of our more memorable dates and it was fun to tease him because he had no clue what a spatula even was (he still has no clue what a spatula is and it's been almost 7 years since then, if that tells you anything...). Afterwords we went to a U of M hockey game and back to his place to watch movies. It was sweetest day and that is still my best sweetest day ever.

Does she have any hobbies or anything she's really interested in? You could pick up a book or something that pertains to her hobby. A sketch book and some pencils if she likes to draw, yarn or a knitting book if she likes to knit, a mixtape if she likes music, etc. Does she like to read? Surprise her with a cute box with a coffee mug, some coffee, and a book that she may have mentioned that she wanted to read. Go to a spa and get her some bath salts, lotion, and some other girly stuff and package it up with a gift certificate to the spa. Something to pamper herself.

I agree with the girlie stuff. Go to Origins or Whole foods and pick out some things that you like the smell of and not only will it be a nice thoughtful gift, it will show her some of what you like too. And it won't be too expensive. Save that for later....

Girly stuff? Bracelets? Clearly none of these people have dated in the past TEN DECADES. Here's what you do.

1) Cut a hole in a box

2) Put your junk in that box

3) Make her open the box

:shifty

Girly stuff? Bracelets? Clearly none of these people have dated in the past TEN DECADES. Here's what you do.

1) Cut a hole in a box

3) Make her open the box

This is rather rude...but then again it is Glenn's Stick Bag asking about a package to give his new girl. :yay

I'm all about the mix CD. It's cheap & shows a lot of thought.

Make liner notes inside about why you picked each song for her.

heck yea. i did this for an ex once (minus the linear notes but that's a rad idea) and she really dug it. i also recommend stooka's suggestion as well as taking her out for dinner at a place she likes.

I agree with the cooking thing, even if you have no clue how to cook.

On our first real date, Jay made me dinner. Granted, I had to stand in the kitchen and tell him what pans to use, how to boil water, how to cut the vegetables, etc., but he still made it. Looking back, that was one of our more memorable dates and it was fun to tease him because he had no clue what a spatula even was (he still has no clue what a spatula is and it's been almost 7 years since then, if that tells you anything...). Afterwords we went to a U of M hockey game and back to his place to watch movies. It was sweetest day and that is still my best sweetest day ever.

Does she have any hobbies or anything she's really interested in? You could pick up a book or something that pertains to her hobby. A sketch book and some pencils if she likes to draw, yarn or a knitting book if she likes to knit, a mixtape if she likes music, etc. Does she like to read? Surprise her with a cute box with a coffee mug, some coffee, and a book that she may have mentioned that she wanted to read. Go to a spa and get her some bath salts, lotion, and some other girly stuff and package it up with a gift certificate to the spa. Something to pamper herself.

Ski-U-Mah! Go Gophers!

1) Cut a hole in a box

3) Make her open the box

:lol

Homemade dinner, flowers, and a mix tape that you can listen to during dinner.

Make sure the mix isn't the most rockin' batch of songs you could find, but something that will set a nice mood. Nothing too overtly sexy (ie: Marvin Gaye's Let's Get it On, anything by Barry White, etc.) but just nice mellow stuff you can have a conversation over.

Ooo! I got it! You give it to her (maybe in her mailbox) and the cover of the CD is an invite to your place for dinner, with instructions to bring the CD to play while having dinner. I suggest making a 2 or 3 CD set so that the music keeps going.

Disc 1: Somewhat more upbeat for appetizers/making dinner. (Neil Finn; Feist; Pink Martini)

Disc 2: Mid-tempo stuff that you can have a conversation over or about. (Pink Moon - Nick Drake; Beautiful Night - Josh Ritter)

Disc 3: More romantic for after dinner. (Diana Krall; Ray LaMontagne - Hold You in My Arms; I Wish I Was the Moon - Neko Case)

Can you tell I'm an old married guy? The only way for those of us in our 40's with 2 kids to re-live the 'thrill of the chase' is to help out guys like you and live it out vicariously.

OK everyone - mix CD suggestions?

Include a little "Hot buttered soul" on that mix tape.

Take her to some avant garde (whatever, I'm not looking up the spelling) little theatre that does edgy but cool stuff.

Oh wait, you wanted gifts. How about the new Big Star box set.

Though this is more of a first date sort of thing, but you could go the Travis Bickle route, and take her to an adult movie theater, or but since they seem to have fallen out of fashion, you could just get her a lap dance.

Fake your own death a couple of days before her birthday and surprise her on the day of.

Awesome.

But he does run the risk of his death being interpreted as a gift from god, which could make for a rather awkward surprise.

never underestimate the power of a nice cardigan sweater.

Also, if she works anywhere downtown, or where there is a specific place she frequents for coffee or lunch, load up a gift card for her so she doesn't have to buy lattes for a month or something. keep the registration information so you can keep loading it up for her as a special treat. it sounds banal but a friend of mine did it for his new girlfriend who is a resident at the hospital and she never had time for lunch and she so appreciate the Au Bon Pain gift card because she never had to worry about whether she had her wallet or anything and she could get a cookie or a coffee or lunch. It is almost two years now, and they live together, but he still puts money on her card for her. I think its sweet.

Guest Runaway Jim

never underestimate the power of a nice cardigan sweater.

I laughed quite a bit at that. I'm still laughing.

Anyway... Either make or buy her dinner.

And during that dinner, say "I'm happy I met you. Happy Birthday."

My wife's birthday came one month after we met. I don't remember what I got her and neither does she. I'm sure it was something okay though.

I remember the first gift I ever got from my husband 11.5 yrs ago, was Christmas & we had only been seeing each other for a month.

He took his brother's girlfriend shopping for me. She picked me a sweater that she would have worn (burgandy with stripes) and an ocean smelling perfume. I hated both of them. I got him a Verve CD & Martini glasses & Martini recipe book.

You never know, you could be looking back on this gift for the next 20 years!