Not exactly guilty pleasures...

I don't really agree with the concept of 'guilty pleasures', but I have recently become enamored of several songs that aren't 'cool'. Therefore; I create my own thread to take away the stench of guilt and freely admit that I am often not cool.

It don't Matter to Me; Down on my Knees, Mother Freedom --- Bread. These guys catch a lot of flack for being white bread, soft rocke kings...but Jimmy Griffith really gave the band some punch. There ain't nothing wrong with this stuff.

Dancing Queen --- Abba. Come on...admit it. You dig this song. Robbie Fulks does a non-ironic cover of this and it really shows the beauty of this song.

Beach Baby --- First Class. At times, this song evokes an aggressively overwhelming sense of nostalgia that almost brings me to tears. Seriously. Youth is SO fleeting.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly, Madly, Deeply (tho I dont even know who sings it)

Some Madonna and MJ

Some Mellencamp (like Pink Houses) and a little of Seeger and Eagles stuff

SOME America-- e.g. I like Horse With No Name, but I absolutely hate that Tin Man song

Occasionally I can rock out to Queen in the car, a la Wayne and Garth

I will always love Bowie's disco phase..Let's Dance, Putting Out Fire etc. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

Pretty much anything Cindi Lauper ever did is fine with me, if I'm in the mood

Some old torch singers like Julie London or Johnny Hartman

Some new agey pseudo-jazz i.e. quite a bit of Pat Metheny tho I will not tolerate the likes of Kenny G. under any circumstance. Jesse Cook is borderline for me.

Truly, Madly, Deeply (tho I dont even know who sings it)

Some Madonna and MJ

Some Mellencamp (like Pink Houses) and a little of Seeger and Eagles stuff

SOME America-- e.g. I like Horse With No Name, but I absolutely hate that Tin Man song

Occasionally I can rock out to Queen in the car, a la Wayne and Garth

I will always love Bowie's disco phase..Let's Dance, Putting Out Fire etc. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

Pretty much anything Cindi Lauper ever did is fine with me, if I'm in the mood

Some old torch singers like Julie London or Johnny Hartman

Some new agey pseudo-jazz i.e. quite a bit of Pat Metheny tho I will not tolerate the likes of Kenny G. under any circumstance. Jesse Cook is borderline for me.

love pat metheny. the group stuff is a bit cheesy, but damn good in a prog rock sort of way. that man can write great long melodies. incidently, i hate horse with no name but LOVE tin man:)

Billy Joel up until around Innocent Man.

billy joel is pushing it, but i have to say that Just the Way you are and rosalinda smiles are two of the best songs of all time. There was an episode of Freaks and Geeks that featured Rosalinda that i loved.

I will always love Bowie's disco phase..Let's Dance

Where '80s big sellers are concerned, that's a top 5 album, easily. Probably #2, after Thriller. If Let's Dance a guilty pleasure, then so is Purple Rain.

Billy Squier!

"Everybody Wants You" may be the most-perfect rock riff that's not Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath.

But he has a lot of other songs that are pretty damn good, too.

purple rain is not a guilty pleasure. that song is beyond awesome.

That's my point. I never got the people who said Let's Dance is cheesy or bad. I'd rather listen to Let's Dance than most anything by Prince...and I like Prince.

I don't really agree with the concept of 'guilty pleasures', but I have recently become enamored of several songs that aren't 'cool'. Therefore; I create my own thread to take away the stench of guilt and freely admit that I am often not cool.

It don't Matter to Me; Down on my Knees, Mother Freedom --- Bread. These guys catch a lot of flack for being white bread, soft rocke kings...but Jimmy Griffith really gave the band some punch. There ain't nothing wrong with this stuff.

Dancing Queen --- Abba. Come on...admit it. You dig this song. Robbie Fulks does a non-ironic cover of this and it really shows the beauty of this song.

Beach Baby --- First Class. At times, this song evokes an aggressively overwhelming sense of nostalgia that almost brings me to tears. Seriously. Youth is SO fleeting.

How bout Pet Shop Boys, now thats guilty

Don't Give Up On Us - David Soul

Goin Out Of My Head - Little Anthony

Have You Ever Been Mellow - Olivia Newton John

Let's Pretend - The Raspberries

Kiss You All Over - Exile

Bad Blood - Neil Sedaka

The First Cut is the Deepest - Rod Stewart

Wildfire - Michael Murphy

All By Myself - Eric Carmen

It's My Life - No Doubt

(OK....I better stop....this is embarrassing....)

purple rain is not a guilty pleasure. that song is beyond awesome.

the beginning chords!!!!!!! Thank god for wendy and...?

awesome! god i love those songs/that album.

first CD i bought.

Billy Squier!

"Everybody Wants You" may be the most-perfect rock riff that's not Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath.

But he has a lot of other songs that are pretty damn good, too.

STROKE ME STROKE ME!!