Pavement to Reunite!!!!

Wish I had half of Nastanovich's energy.

The four Central Park shows last week were probably the highlight of my year. One of my favorite bands (a band I never thought I'd see live) kicked ass in one of my favorite cities for four nights (including my birthday). For a music geek, it doesn't get much better than that.

Twas the highlight of my year as well. They were tighter (and happier) than any of the 90s shows I saw.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Sunday show in Atlanta. Amazing. They played everything I was hoping to hear, except for Embassy Row. They said their show the previous night in Maryland sucked, and that Lollapaloza sucked. I'm not sure if they meant the '90s Lollapalooza, or a recent one. They were clearly enjoying the ecstatic response in Atlanta.

Anyone go to the Maryland show? I wonder what the deal was there.

Funny stage announcement from Times New Viking's drummer:

"You guys excited to see Pavement?"

(Audience cheers)

"Well they didn't show up...but Spin Doctors are here."

:P

I saw the Sunday show in Atlanta. Amazing. They played everything I was hoping to hear, except for Embassy Row. They said their show the previous night in Maryland sucked, and that Lollapaloza sucked. I'm not sure if they meant the '90s Lollapalooza, or a recent one. They were clearly enjoying the ecstatic response in Atlanta.

Anyone go to the Maryland show? I wonder what the deal was there.

Funny stage announcement from Times New Viking's drummer:

"You guys excited to see Pavement?"

(Audience cheers)

"Well they didn't show up...but Spin Doctors are here."

:P

I was at the Maryland show on the lawn and they played stellar, but the pavilion in front was pretty empty, which I'm guessing could have been the reason for their disappointment. Lawn tickets were free as part of Virgin FreeFest and pavilion seats were $125, so the majority of the people were far away from the band.

I was at the Maryland show on the lawn and they played stellar, but the pavilion in front was pretty empty, which I'm guessing could have been the reason for their disappointment. Lawn tickets were free as part of Virgin FreeFest and pavilion seats were $125, so the majority of the people were far away from the band.

That makes sense. That's how it was during the '90s Lollapalooza, at least the ones with reserved seating. A bunch of empty seats for all of the daytime acts.

The Spin Doctors really don't deserve the derision.

I liked them alright during the HORDE era, but more recent clips I've seen of them are horrific.

Actually I didn't even know they were still around.:blush

The most recent time I saw them was on TV a few years ago. They played a 4th of July thing here in Atlanta, and they got several minute of air time during the TV coverage of the event.

I don't know if they're still around.

I saw Pavement and Sonic Youth last night at the Hollywood Bowl. What a show! Both bands were incredible. I wish they cold have both played longer sets, but I really have nothing to complain about. Sonic Youth played for about 45 minutes and barreled through quite an incredible set. Lots of 80's tunes - which was pretty awesome. Pavement played for about an hour and 20 minutes. Malkmus seemed to be hurrying along toward the end of the show to get as many songs in as possible. They were cut off due to curfew. Before Range Life, Malkmus urged "c'mon- they only gave me 5 minutes!" he also apologized profusely and hung his head as they exited stage. The band was clearly not finished and were not allowed an encore, much to all of our dismay- we were all as ready to keep going on with the show. I have seen quite a few great shows this year and last night was another one to add to the list. Pavement was just awesome. There was so much joy and fun - and that wild energy from Nastanovich!!! The music sounded great at the bowl and everyone we spoke with on the way out had a blast. This is a killer live act and I'm glad I got to see them to be sure.

Setlist:

Cut Your Hair

Frontwards

Gold Soundz

Shady Lane

Rattled By The Rush

Grounded

Silence Kit

Date With Ikea

Unfair

Spit on a Stranger - after a raucous energized Unfair, Malkmus proclaimed "now we're gonna kill the mood." this song however was a rocking and beautiful highlight of the show for me.

In the Mouth a Desert

Perfume-V

Summer Babe

Stereo

Stop Breathing

Range Life

Here

They also played Heckler Spray and Malkmus dedicated it to "my friend Thurston." Not sure where it was in the scheme of the set, though.

• 3 months later...