Pavement to Reunite!!!!

According to reliable sources, it's finally happening in 2010! There will be multiple, possibly four, nights of shows at NYC's Central Park Summerstage in September of that year. That could be part of a tour. That could be the end of a tour, the middle of a tour, or even the beginning of a tour, but it seems reasonable to speculate that they might make their official comeback at Coachella in April.

via Brooklyn Vegan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool- hopefully Pitchfork's source is not this message board.

Back in the day Pitchfork would just run almost any internet rumor they came across, like the Neutral Milk Hotel is coming back!!! hoax from three summers ago, but I'd hope that they're big enough now where they'd actually want to fact check.

--Mike

This had better be true and they had better tour...extensively.

http://billions.com/...l-tour-in-2010/

Pavement : Coming To A Town Near You (If You Live Near A Big Town) In 2010

September 17th, 2009 at 9:00 am by Gerard NY-MAG-EXCLnyc_nov_93b_gb-1024x747.jpg

(photography by Gail Butensky)

Ever since that fateful night in late 1999 when Pavement left thepublic eye with a final show at London’s Brixton Academy, we’ve oftenfantasized about the day when we could finally tell the world “yes,Brooklyn Vegan scooped us, Pavement are back.”

After years of speculation, the most important American band of the1990’s is returning to the stage, with the lineup of Mark Ibold, Scott“Spiral Stairs” Kannberg, Stephen Malkmus, Bob Nastanovich and SteveWest reuniting for dates around the world in 2010. Please be advisedthis tour is not a prelude to additional jaunts and/or a permanentreunion.

Described in their own Wikipedia entry as having experienced“moderate commercial success”, Pavement’s catalog for the Matador,Domino, Drag City and Treble Kicker imprints has come to define in theeyes of many the blueprint for independent rock over the pastgeneration. In spite of this, the records are still pretty fantastic,and we’re fully prepared to remind you of such with adetails-to-be-determined compilation album planned for release sometimein 2010.

The first show announced is a New York performance on September 21,2010 at Rumsey Playfield in Central Park. Things worked out really wellwhen Diana Ross played Central Park in 1983, and we have no reason tosuspect Pavement’s return to the live arena won’t generate similarheadlines.

A pre-sale begins at 10:00 AM EDT on Friday, September 18, 2009(tomorrow). The password for the pre-sale is ZOWEE . The generalon-sale is slated for 10:00 AM EDT on Friday, September 25, 2009. Please note that tickets will be available without surcharges from theNokia Theatre box office in Times Square and from Earwax at 218 BedfordAvenue in Williamsburg.

The new Spiral Stairs LP/CD/digital album ‘The Real Feel’,Scott Kannberg’s first album under the S.S. nom de plume after twoPreston School Of Industry long-players, is available October 20,2009. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks are playing 4 Australian showslater this month, and plan to begin recording their 5th album in thenear future.

The first show announced is a New York performance on September 21, 2010 at Rumsey Playfield in Central Park. Things worked out really well when Diana Ross played Central Park in 1983, and we have no reason to suspect Pavement’s return to the live arena won’t generate similar headlines.

:rotfl

Kannberg blurb in Rolling Stone

Typically for Pavement, the decision to get back together was made in a lackadaisical way. Says Kannberg, “Steve [Malkmus] and I just had a conversation on the phone, and we’d never talked about it before at all. We’ve talked over the years, but the subject never came up. Then our agent asked us about these New York shows, so we went around to everybody in the band, and they said, ‘Yeah, the time is right If everybody’s ready to do it, then we’ll do it and see what happens.’ There was no real impetus — it just kind of happened naturally.”

The first show announced is a New York performance on September 21,2010

A pre-sale begins at 10:00 AM EDT on Friday, September 18, 2009

Pre-sale takes place more than a year before the event. Has that ever happened before?

I'm there. :cheers

Hopefully they'll practice first this time around.

Really.

I love Pavement as much as anyone but damn they were uneven and indifferent as a live band. I saw them a bunch of times and mostly they were good. Sometimes they were bad and once they were amazing. I'd love to see them actually care about a live perfomance or an entire tour, but if they didn't do it in their heyday, I don't hold out much hope for the rusty reunion tour.

Really.

I love Pavement as much as anyone but damn they were uneven and indifferent as a live band. I saw them a bunch of times and mostly they were good. Sometimes they were bad and once they were amazing. I'd love to see them actually care about a live perfomance or an entire tour, but if they didn't do it in their heyday, I don't hold out much hope for the rusty reunion tour.

I must've caught them on a good night. They were great when I saw them.

this must be legit! watching sportscenter at lunch earlier and the anchor said something about malkmus/pavement and how excited he was for the reunion. very strange.

It was the top story on my entertainment google news feed. I had no idea so many people outside of the indie community cared about this band.

--Mike