Pavement to Reunite!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pavebestcov452.jpg

Philosophical query: If a band reunites and they don't release a greatest hits-type compilation (or a new album) to celebrate, does the reunion really exist? Think about it. And then think about Pavement's forthcoming 23-track greatest hits-type compilation, Quarantine the Past: The Best of Pavement, out on double-LP and CD March 9 via Matador in the U.S. (March 8 via Domino in the UK.) (Pre-order here.) The label is also re-releasing the entire Pavement Matador catalog on low-priced vinyl the same day.

In a blog post, Matador says that while Quarantine "does not include any unreleased material, it definitely digs deeper than the hits." The label is unveiling the song selection through the appropriately titled Guess the Track Listing Contest, with prizes including a VIP trip to NYC for one of Pavement's upcoming Central Park reunion gigs. More info on the contest can be found here.

We do know the first track will be Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain's "Gold Soundz", which you can hear after the jump. Matador also mentions that they will complete the Pavement deluxe reissue series with Terror Twilight next fall.

Not that big of news but I really liked the artwork.

the contest is cool, though.

i spent most of last night devising my entry for the 'creative tracklisting' part of the contest.

Sounds like a great use of my time. Game on!

Edit: Wow, that was harder than I thought it would be. My only hope is that nobody else enters.

Great prizes being offered:

FIRST PRIZE for the track listing closest to the actual track listing

SECOND PRIZE for the most imaginative track listing

FOUR RUNNERS-UP in either of the above two categories (4 runner-up prizes total)

First prize will be a pair of tickets, with flights and hotel rooms, to see Pavement at Central Park Summerstage on Tuesday, September 21, 2009 2010. Plus a complete set of Pavement Matador 12″ vinyl.

Second prize will be having your track listing pressed up in a special limited-edition vinyl double LP for Record Store Day (April 17). You will receive 5 copies of your best of selection. Plus a complete set of Pavement Matador 12″ vinyl.

Runner-up prizes will be complete sets of Pavement Matador 12″ vinyl.

Damn hope if this proves to be false, would prefer to see them on their own or at least at a festival where they'd get a full set.

ETA: I wouldn't mind though if this is part of the "Don't Look Back" series

I thought they were confirmed for Bonnaroo?

This article confirms them for Bonnaroo, but it's widely thought that the author somehow confused Roo with Sasquatch (since Sasquatch was the only confirmed US fest date at the time, and since "Sasquatch" is a funny word like "Bonnaroo").

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned they are playing the Greek Theatre in Berkeley on June 25? I just got 2 tickets. Not even sure if I can go, but as the wise Pneyu taught me, "buy now, ask later"

PS: I just saw Malkmus at the grocery store like 2.5 hrs ago.

Has anyone mentioned they are playing the Greek Theatre in Berkeley on June 25? I just got 2 tickets. Not even sure if I can go, but as the wise Pneyu taught me, "buy now, ask later"

PS: I just saw Malkmus at the grocery store like 2.5 hrs ago.

Why didn't you ask him about the gig?

Guess they definitely will be playing Pitchfork. link

Pavement, St. Vincent to play Pitchfork Music Festival; tickets go on sale Friday

Pavement and St. Vincent will be among the artists announced Friday when tickets ($40 or three-day $90 pass) go on sale for the 2010 Pitchfork Music Festival.

The tickets will be sold via www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com, festival promoters announced Wednesday.

The fifth annual festival of independent and underground music, curated by the influential Chicago-based Web site pitchfork.com, will take place July 16-18 in Union Park. All the previous festivals have sold out, attracting an international audience of 50,000 to see cutting-edge acts such as Animal Collective, Girl Talk and Yeasayer. Part of this year’s lineup will be announced Friday; reports strongly suggest that a reunited Pavement will be among the headliners, and industry sources confirmed those rumors Wednesday.

greg@gregkot.com

best thing that could happen is to have Pavement play Friday night. that way people arent setting up camp near the stage on saturday and sunday all day ruining it for other acts.

yep.

plus they've extended the length of the Friday hours, so that seems likely.

wonder if they'll play a full album if they play Friday maybe?

Pavement was a pretty notoriously bad live band. I wonder how this tour plays out. Certainly looking forward to it.

...yikes. I have tickets to see Pavement 3/4 days they're at the Brixton in London in May (tempted to get the 4th just to, you know, complete the whole set). Hopefully it's not true...haha.

...yikes. I have tickets to see Pavement 3/4 days they're at the Brixton in London in May (tempted to get the 4th just to, you know, complete the whole set). Hopefully it's not true...haha.

Haha, well, I have tix to see the first two shows in NY, so I am going to find out first hand myself, too. As for whether it's true or not, most people that I know that saw them think it's true. Or, was true.

best thing that could happen is to have Pavement play Friday night. that way people arent setting up camp near the stage on saturday and sunday all day ruining it for other acts.

It looks like they will be playing Sunday. Part of an email I got this morning:

Sunday, July 18th 2010

Sunday's lineup will include Pavement, St. Vincent, Lightning Bolt, Sleigh Bells, Here We Go Magic, Cass McCombs, and more to be announced!