Phish gives props to Wilco

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I've done the Wilco and the Phish thing on your favorite drug, and the latter is a nightmare. Those guys have absolutely no musical soul. Have you ever seen the Phishheads dance? Wow, they sure are inspired by the music... a bunch of numb numbnuts who have issues when it comes to showing any sober passion for life.

People who make blanket statements rule!

I've smoked plenty of pot, my man, and as comedian Todd Barry puts it, "Smoking pot shouldn't be illegal... being a pothead should."

I've done the Wilco and the Phish thing on your favorite drug, and the latter is a nightmare. Those guys have absolutely no musical soul. Have you ever seen the Phishheads dance? Wow, they sure are inspired by the music... a bunch of numb numbnuts who have issues when it comes to showing any sober passion for life.

But thanks for letting me know that Jeff has jammed with Phil... I stand corrected there... that actually pisses me off. Not sure why Tweedy would associate with that guy. My main point was that Wilco's music and lyrics contain actual soul-satisfying peace and love... the Phish scene is substanceless when it comes to that.

yeah that Phil Lesh. What a poseur!

you surely must be joking my man otherwise youre about slow

Guest scarnella

Most of you missed my point... I can make up my own mind about a band's music and am not going to hate them because Jeff Tweedy hates them... what I was stating was that Wilco's music and lyrics represent the exact opposite of what Phish and their fans represent... Wilco is an anti-jam band to the millionth degree, and I would logically guess, by knowing a bit about Jeff's personality and beliefs, that he wouldn't want to have anything to do with that scene. Since I now know he's jammed with Phil, obviously I'm a bit wrong. Good Lord, most of you Phish dudes need to go to a music festival in Europe like Glastonbury so you can see the light on how lame you can be.

Guest Speed Racer

I really don't think any of us are "Phish dudes."

Phish and Wilco both seem to stand for music, community, fun and art, making good records and having fun at shows. People who label them as jam-band or not (yourself included) seem more interested in applying stereotypes and expectations than they ever have.

It's okay if you don't like Phish (lord knows I don't), but calling their fans soul-less numb nuts is kind of, uh...numb-nutty.

This guy is a tool. Yes?

Yes. And I wonder if he could tell us how Jeff feels about Tool?

Most of you missed my point... I can make up my own mind about a band's music and am not going to hate them because Jeff Tweedy hates them... what I was stating was that Wilco's music and lyrics represent the exact opposite of what Phish and their fans represent... Wilco is an anti-jam band to the millionth degree, and I would logically guess, by knowing a bit about Jeff's personality and beliefs, that he wouldn't want to have anything to do with that scene. Since I now know he's jammed with Phil, obviously I'm a bit wrong. Good Lord, most of you Phish dudes need to go to a music festival in Europe like Glastonbury so you can see the light on how lame you can be.

You sound like you know alot about The Phish scene.

Most of you missed my point...

I don't think anyone missed your point, and apparently you are going to continue to change your point until it makes some kind of sense (hint: you're not there yet)

Wilco is an anti-jam band to the millionth degree

Wilco have changed bits and pieces (tempos, instrumentation/accompaniment, solos...) on a lot of their catalogue over the years--sometimes very subtley, sometimes more pronounced. In my opinion an "anti-jam band" would be a band that simply plays its songs live exactly as they sound on their albums. Wilco rarely ever does so.

by knowing a bit about Jeff's personality and beliefs

I'd love to hear more about your knowledge of Jeff's personality and beliefs

I hope most of you on this list realize that there's no way in hell Jeff is a Phish fan... I could be wrong, but Jeff is not a jam band type, nor does he hang out in the least with the type who go to those type of shows. I hope to God he doesn't even say "thank you" to Phish for considering his music. He is so much above that scene.

My main point was that Wilco's music and lyrics contain actual soul-satisfying peace and love... the Phish scene is substanceless when it comes to that.

Please highlight anything in the first post that in any way puts forward the notion that "Wilco's music and lyrics contain actual soul-satisfying peace and love... the Phish scene is substanceless when it comes to that."

Guest Speed Racer

Wilco's music and lyrics contain actual soul-satisfying peace and love...

Dreamed about killing you again last night, and it felt alright to me

I'm a wheel, I will turn on you

I'd like to thank you all for nothing at all

She begs me not to hit her

Blood in the sink, blood in the trunk...I keep calling, there's blood in the trunk

I must be high

Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm

Alcohol, cotton balls and some drugs we can't afford not to take

I thought it was cute for you to kiss my purple black eye even though I caught it from you

I am so out of tune with you

Which lies have I been hiding?

What have I been missing wishing you were dead?

I am an American aquarium drinker, I assassin down the avenue...I am trying to break your heart

Peace and love. :wub

Yikes. Without comment to the lack of clarity/sense/clue in scarnella's posts I think it's cool when a band covers another band's music: like Wilco coverning Judas Priest or Bowie tunes or any other band they sound nothing like normally....

Guest Runaway Jim

Yikes. Without comment to the lack of clarity/sense/clue in scarnella's posts I think it's cool when a band covers another band's music: like Wilco coverning Judas Priest or Bowie tunes or any other band they sound nothing like normally....

Me too

Guest Speed Racer

I think it's cool when a band covers another band's music: like Wilco coverning Judas Priest or Bowie tunes or any other band they sound nothing like normally....

Absolutely! I've always loved Wilco's covers, because they really do have a sense of how to do it with their own style. Just how I don't like bands playing their own songs note-by-note from the record, I don't like them covering songs that way. I'd be really interested in hearing Phish cover Wilco, just because they clearly have the chops to do something awesome with it, even if I don't care much for Phish's music. Sounds like a fun Halloween tradition to have.

Guest scarnella

You proved my point exactly with all the Wilco lyrics you listed above that have nothing to do with peace and love... to get TRUE peace and love, you have to go up against the bullshit in life that pisses you off, and the main reason I don't buy the peace and love in the Phish and the Grateful Dead scene is that it's surrounded by nothing negative, which is terribly unrealistic. Tweedy's lyrics switch between life's negatives and the beauty that he still believes exists. The guy is a true rebel against bullshit such as religion and greed, and the jam band scene is too "nice" to rebel against society like he does.

As far as you all questioning my knowledge on Tweedy's personality, it's not hard to pick up when you watch him in interviews and read his song lyrics. Even on this board one of you just said that you try to be nice and not say something negative towards another poster on here... that's very similar to the religious and phony behavior Tweedy blasts, and it's also very similar to what you find in the jam band scene, which was my original friggin' point.

You proved my point exactly with all the Wilco lyrics you listed above that have nothing to do with peace and love... to get TRUE peace and love, you have to go up against the bullshit in life that pisses you off, and the main reason I don't buy the peace and love in the Phish and the Grateful Dead scene is that it's surrounded by nothing negative, which is terribly unrealistic. Tweedy's lyrics switch between life's negatives and the beauty that he still believes exists. The guy is a true rebel against bullshit such as religion and greed, and the jam band scene is too "nice" to rebel against society like he does.

As far as you all questioning my knowledge on Tweedy's personality, it's not hard to pick up when you watch him in interviews and read his song lyrics. Even on this board one of you just said that you try to be nice and not say something negative towards another poster on here... that's very similar to the religious and phony behavior Tweedy blasts, and it's also very similar to what you find in the jam band scene, which was my original friggin' point.

Calm down, holden caulfield..

But really, stop blasting Phish because you clearly know nothing about the band or their fanbase. It's not very cool. and very Phony...

And also, stop trying to express your own opinions about other music by saying that Jeff has the same feelings. You dont know him and you cant judge someone based on the interviews and the songs he writes. But if you have some secret wilco song called "fuck phish and all other jam bands" please post a link as I'm sure we would all love to hear it!

Thanks man

Guest scarnella

"stop blasting Phish because you clearly know nothing about the band or their fanbase"

I do have knowledge of Phish and their fans... I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who are fans, I've been to a couple shows, I've listened to their music, and I've read their lyrics. You all are just too intimidated to make conclusions about people with the fear that you might be wrong. And I love how it's wrong to make a blanket statement about Phish fans when blanket statements are made about groups of people all the time... New Yorkers don't put up with shit, Green Bay Packers fans are loyal, Asians don't have common sense... stereotyping is very healthy.

"stop blasting Phish because you clearly know nothing about the band or their fanbase"

I do have knowledge of Phish and their fans... I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who are fans, I've been to a couple shows, I've listened to their music, and I've read their lyrics. You all are just too intimidated to make conclusions about people with the fear that you might be wrong. And I love how it's wrong to make a blanket statement about Phish fans when blanket statements are made about groups of people all the time... New Yorkers don't put up with shit, Green Bay Packers fans are loyal, Asians don't have common sense... stereotyping is very healthy.

So are you admitting that you are wrong? Because that would be superduper...

Scarnella, I'm sorry, but there is nothing "healthy" about stereotyping. Stereotyping prevents a person from seeing the individual standing right in front of him, in favor of a preconceived image. Stereotypes hurt and get in the way of knowing the real people involved.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but as an admin here I have to insist that you refrain from insulting other VC members. (Obviously, that goes for everybody.) I've always agreed with the statement that "the mark of maturity is the ability to disagree without being disagreeable." Let's all attempt to say what we have to say without devolving into a bunch of pissed-off schoolyard kids.

Please consider the following, from our VC Rules and Regulations:

Regarding Forum Etiquette

It is our intention at Via Chicago to foster an online community that is welcoming, all-ages friendly, and enjoyable for all our membership. Toward that end, we expect all posts, including signature lines, to be civil and respectful. The following will not be tolerated:

• Personal attacks on other members.

• Baiting. Do not try to get a rise out of another member with your comments.

I happen to know for a fact that Jeff Tweedy is a big fan of civility and good manners. :yes :thumbup

Guest scarnella

"It is our intention at Via Chicago to foster an online community that is welcoming, all-ages friendly, and enjoyable for all our membership"

Perhaps you should be the moderator of Michael Eisner's Disneyworld email forum. Wilco isn't rated G.

"I happen to know for a fact that Jeff Tweedy is a big fan of civility and good manners"

Wrong. The guy used to be the moodiest on-stage performer around, which was great. He shows respect to people who deserve it, and he points a finger at those who don't. Civility and good manners at all times is unhealthy and phony, and it's exactly what's found in the jam band scene.

And you are out of your mind if you think people can't be grouped into a stereotype. Or maybe you're right and black people and Mexicans love music like Wilco.