Phish gives props to Wilco

"It is our intention at Via Chicago to foster an online community that is welcoming, all-ages friendly, and enjoyable for all our membership"

Perhaps you should be the moderator of Michael Eisner's Disneyworld email forum. Wilco isn't rated G.

"I happen to know for a fact that Jeff Tweedy is a big fan of civility and good manners"

Wrong. The guy used to be the moodiest on-stage performer around, which was great. He shows respect to people who deserve it, and he points a finger at those who don't. Civility and good manners at all times is unhealthy and phony, and it's exactly what's found in the jam band scene.

And you are out of your mind if you think people can't be grouped into a stereotype. Or maybe you're right and black people and Mexicans love music like Wilco.

Well done.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It is our intention at Via Chicago to foster an online community that is welcoming, all-ages friendly, and enjoyable for all our membership"

Perhaps you should be the moderator of Michael Eisner's Disneyworld email forum. Wilco isn't rated G.

"I happen to know for a fact that Jeff Tweedy is a big fan of civility and good manners"

Wrong. The guy used to be the moodiest on-stage performer around, which was great. He shows respect to people who deserve it, and he points a finger at those who don't. Civility and good manners at all times is unhealthy and phony, and it's exactly what's found in the jam band scene.

And you are out of your mind if you think people can't be grouped into a stereotype. Or maybe you're right and black people and Mexicans love music like Wilco.

Wow... I'm just throwing this out there: Ban?

Say, you're quite an ass, aren't you? Troll much? :brow

To reply, point by point:

• This board is an all-ages-friendly board, by definition. (See "Via Chicago Rules and Regulations") If you're looking for the Mean-Assed Wilco Fan Board (MAWFB), try elsewhere.

• And this: "The guy used to be the moodiest on-stage performer around"....(bolding mine)...key phrase there, "used to be". (Nor would I agree that he was the moodiest, by any stretch of anyone's imagination) Jeff grew up over the years. He isn't now who he once was. What he once was, isn't what he wants to be anymore. (where have I heard that?) Growing up is great! You should try it!

• It will always be possible to make generalizations about groups of people, and there may even be some truth in the generalizations. But you missed my point completely, which is that on this board you are dealing with individuals. Individuals you know next to nothing about, whom you are making insulting generalizations about. That's both childish and just plain ridiculous.

• This statement is strange to me: "Civility and good manners at all times is unhealthy and phony" and makes me think you must be lots of fun in real life. I never said there was never a time to be angry or to resist something. There are certainly times when it is the most appropriate response. But on a public forum with excellent moderating and well-stated rules, getting down and dirty isn't the right approach. If you have a problem with another member, you can contact a mod at any time for assistance. There's never a need to attack other members.

I'm sorry you couldn't find a way to interact here in a way that was enjoyable for both yourself and our other members. It's like the friendly neighborhood bar...everybody's welcome, but when some fool comes in and starts picking fights and trashing the place, management steps in and removes the offender so everyone else can continue to enjoy the place. That's what's happened here. :cheers

I'm sorry you couldn't find a way to interact here in a way that was enjoyable for both yourself and our other members. It's like the friendly neighborhood bar...everybody's welcome, but when some fool comes in and starts picking fights and trashing the place, management steps in and removes the offender so everyone else can continue to enjoy the place. That's what's happened here. :cheers

On a positive note, now all of these posts can now be used as teaching tools; if you're new to VC just read scarnella's posts, do the exact opposite of everything he did, and you'll get along just fine here.

--Mike

Are 8 posts a record for getting the boot from VC? It's clear that this guy/girl came on here to cause stuff. Or am I generalizing too?

Anyways, it was good reading while one suffers a sudden onslaught of insomnia.

And kudos to Kidsmoke for handling the situation. My lunch money is safe...or is it? :pirate

I was a phish fan in my prior life. And while I can certainly attest to the, at times, terrible scene, questionable lyrics, and overly indulgent jamming, I can also say without any reservation whatsoever, that Phish is a group of 4 guys that love music and want to share it with others and create a unique experience for their fans. And whether that takes the form of concerts with their own songs, or interpretations of others, one of their shows is a journey (on a song to song level) from bluegrass to funk to spoof to arena rocker to pop bliss to Chuck Berry cover.

Phish exposed me to bands I had never listened to. Taj Mahal, Son Seals, Del McCoury, Velvet Underground, Pavement, Frank Zappa. You can't say that about many bands.

They're an easy target, I suppose. But never have so many missed the mark on such an easy target.

Heres the Loving Cup and Im trying to figure out whats not to like. Id advise everyone to check this out and get back to us

Loving Cup has been in their set-lists throughout the years, and it's done very well...yet again.

Funny thread to say the least.

I think they picked Rolling Stones "Exile on Main Street" ultimately. I would have voted for YHF. I'm not a Phish fan at all but I find the idea of picking an album to be excellent.

And for the record Phil Lesh is a gentleman and upstanding citizen - he worked for the post office! I'm sure Tweedy and him got along famously!!!

I really don't think any of us are "Phish dudes."

Phish and Wilco both seem to stand for music, community, fun and art, making good records and having fun at shows. People who label them as jam-band or not (yourself included) seem more interested in applying stereotypes and expectations than they ever have.

It's okay if you don't like Phish (lord knows I don't), but calling their fans soul-less numb nuts is kind of, uh...numb-nutty.

Amen to that :peace

fuck phish

Then one day I say, "Fuck Phish. I renounce Phish. I vow never to set foot in that ocean again. That's how much 'fuck Phish'." That was seventeen years ago, and I have never since stuck so much as a toe in that ocean. And I LOVE the ocean!

But why?

Done with Phish.

chriscooperswamp.jpg

Then one day I say, "Fuck Phish. I renounce Phish. I vow never to set foot in that ocean again. That's how much 'fuck Phish'." That was seventeen years ago, and I have never since stuck so much as a toe in that ocean. And I LOVE the ocean!

But why?

Done with Phish.

chriscooperswamp.jpg

Well played, good sir. Well played.

"I have failed, I am panicked. I've sold out, I am worthless, I... What the fuck am I doing here? What the fuck am I doing here? Fuck. It is my weakness, my ultimate lack of conviction that brings me here. Easy answers used to shortcut yourself to success. And here I am because my jump into the abysmal well - isn't that just a risk one takes when attempting something new? I should leave here right now. I'll start over. I need to face this project head on and..."

"and God help you if you use voice-over in your work, my friends. God help you. That's flaccid, sloppy writing. Any idiot can write a voice-over narration to explain the thoughts of a character. "

--Mike