Phish gives props to Wilco

So as many of you know, the band Phish has a tradition of donning a musical costume for Halloween and covering an entire album by another band. In the past they have covered The Beatles (The White Album), The Who's Quadrophenia, Remain In Light by the Talking Heads and Loaded by the Velvet Underground. As a promo for the festival where this tradition will continue, Phish has begun to narrow down the albums that are being considered. Wilco's YHF is on the list.

Click the link below and then click on the place card to see the other options. Slide the disc with arrows on it to see all the options.

http://www.phish.com/festival8/halloween/

phishfestival8.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently that idea is going around... theres a band down here in gainesville that has gotten pretty big as "the shitty beatles" and for halloween theyre trying out "shitty wilco". theyre doing all of YHF and then a shitty beatles set. it's gonna be huge, man.

YHF would be great, but I'd love to hear them take on Double Nickels on the Dime.

I'd vote for Double Nickels on the Dime. Imagine them stretching out all the jams on like "Corona." That would be epic. Also anytime they tackle something huge that leaves a lot of room for awesomeness.

Some of them wouldn't work well, like Arcade Fire's Funeral. I also don't see them doing Tom Wait's Rain Dogs turning out well either.

I think Thriller would be funny, and most of the Dylan works would be fine. Plastic Ono Band seems like a really interesting option, come to think of it.

Plastic Ono Band seems like a really interesting option, come to think of it.

I've been listening to that album a lot lately. Any band that attempted that one would surely screw it up. It's so perfect, and so personal, as it is. I agree that it's an interesting pick, though.

Firehose's "Flyin' the Flannel" would be cool to hear. It might not offer Page much to do, but it has lots of intricate tunes that Phish could probably do a really good job with.

I was really happy to see this album make the list, I was even more happy to open this thread and not see one negative comment.

As for me I'm pulling for "forever Changes" by love or Double Nickles

• 1 month later...
Guest scarnella

I hope most of you on this list realize that there's no way in hell Jeff is a Phish fan... I could be wrong, but Jeff is not a jam band type, nor does he hang out in the least with the type who go to those type of shows. I hope to God he doesn't even say "thank you" to Phish for considering his music. He is so much above that scene.

In case anyone is interested, they ended up playing The Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street. Did a pretty damn good job too.

I can't for the life of me imagine Phish playing "Rip This Joint."

I hope most of you on this list realize that there's no way in hell Jeff is a Phish fan... I could be wrong, but Jeff is not a jam band type, nor does he hang out in the least with the type who go to those type of shows. I hope to God he doesn't even say "thank you" to Phish for considering his music. He is so much above that scene.

Emphasis mine. ;)

I hate that whole scene, personally, but I don't think members of the general public have enough info to make bold declarative statements about Jeff's feelings on the subject.

Number One: Why would I give a flying shit if Jeff Tweedy is a Phish fan???

If by hang out in the least you mean to play Ripple with Phil Lesh then yeah youre right.

You sound like a sad human that thinks he is above other people. Try smoking some pot brother.

This has been covered here before, but I think it's safe to say that lots of people like lots of different kinds of music. I don't have to match my tastes to anyone's exactly. Even my husband and I disagree sometimes (gasp!), and I still like him alot. There's a whole world of music, you only need to listen to what YOU like.

Guest Runaway Jim

This has been covered here before, but I think it's safe to say that lots of people like lots of different kinds of music. I don't have to match my tastes to anyone's exactly. Even my husband and I disagree sometimes (gasp!), and I still like him alot. There's a whole world of music, you only need to listen to what YOU like.

Amen. Amen.

But also, it's lame to not like a band because Jeff Tweedy doesn't like them. That was just the dumbest thing I've read in a while. It's also lame to not like a band because of their scene. Phish and Wilco are likely my two favorite bands, regardless of how they feel about one another or who else might like them. I just love their music.

Guest scarnella

I've smoked plenty of pot, my man, and as comedian Todd Barry puts it, "Smoking pot shouldn't be illegal... being a pothead should."

I've done the Wilco and the Phish thing on your favorite drug, and the latter is a nightmare. Those guys have absolutely no musical soul. Have you ever seen the Phishheads dance? Wow, they sure are inspired by the music... a bunch of numb numbnuts who have issues when it comes to showing any sober passion for life.

But thanks for letting me know that Jeff has jammed with Phil... I stand corrected there... that actually pisses me off. Not sure why Tweedy would associate with that guy. My main point was that Wilco's music and lyrics contain actual soul-satisfying peace and love... the Phish scene is substanceless when it comes to that.

Guest Runaway Jim

I've smoked plenty of pot, my man, and as comedian Todd Barry puts it, "Smoking pot shouldn't be illegal... being a pothead should."

I've done the Wilco and the Phish thing on your favorite drug, and the latter is a nightmare. Those guys have absolutely no musical soul. Have you ever seen the Phishheads dance? Wow, they sure are inspired by the music... a bunch of numb numbnuts who have issues when it comes to showing any sober passion for life.

But thanks for letting me know that Jeff has jammed with Phil... I stand corrected there... that actually pisses me off. Not sure why Tweedy would associate with that guy. My main point was that Wilco's music and lyrics contain actual soul-satisfying peace and love... the Phish scene is substanceless when it comes to that.

Man, you're ridiculous.