The Hold Steady

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally saw them live a couple of months ago and they blew me away. I was really disappointed that I missed the DBT/THS tour (although I wasn't that big of a Hold Steady fan at that point), and now I can only imagine how incredible that tour was. Two great bands--especially live. I think the Hold Steady show we saw was one of the best I have ever been to and I enjoyed Craig's shtick. It was like watching Pee Wee Herman front a kick ass rock band.

I was hooked on THS the first time I heard "Stuck Between Stations".

Any band that can work Sal Paradise (the protagonist of On the Road) AND John Barryman into a killer rock song...well hell. Literate and rockin'. What elst could a brutha want?

I don't see how you can fault any lead singer for how they are on stage.

Really? I think folks are entitled to have an opinion about a lead singer's presence on stage. There absolutely is a visual aspect to a live show. A critique on how genuine he or she may be is valid. Additionally, how awkward he or she may come off is a legitimate observation too.

I don't think anyone can question Craig's sincerity.

Some guys who are nervous, awkward frontmen do the Conor Oberst thing and stare at the floor. Some just go all out and lose themselves in the show. I prefer the latter, and I think that's precisely what Craig does.

I don't see how you can fault any lead singer for how they are on stage. Especially since, in Craig's case, I don't get the feeling that it is anything but genuine. Relax and enjoy the show.

Again, I should reiterate that I'm a very big Hold Steady fan, and I think Craig Finn is one of the best songwriters going today. But watching him... well, he kind of annoyed me. It wasn't a matter of sincerity on his part; I just didn't expect (or want, I guess) him to be such a clown, and it was weird seeing him pander to these aping little frat boys. (Though again, I'm not faulting anyone for having fun... there were a lot of people besides me having fun.)

I was also bummed they didn't play "How a Resurrection Really Feels", which is one of the great songs of the decade IMO.

Man, I saw them at Bonnaroo in 07 before I knew anything except Boys And Girls, and "How A Resurrection" was incredible.

Also, Lodestar. He acts like that all of the time. It had nothing to do with the frat boys. Don't fault him for connecting with whatever his audience happens to be.

Some guys who are nervous, awkward frontmen do the Conor Oberst thing and stare at the floor. Some just go all out and lose themselves in the show. I prefer the latter, and I think that's precisely what Craig does.

I wasn't questioning his sincerity. I do think he comes off as goofy. I like The Hold Steady. However, I think expressing an opinion on a front man's antics is absolutely fair game. You can't please everyone.

But can you explain the Coronas? :blink

They were free?

They seem to drink whatever the venue provides them. When I saw them at Bonnaroo, Craig was complaining that it's hard to feel manly when you're throwing back an aluminum bottle.

Haha, that was my first Hold Steady show and I loved that line. "We all love Budweiser, but I gotta say.."

I saw them on the tour with DBT and they closed, and while I understand a big Drive By Truckers fan getting annoyed by people sitting down and not being as into their show, they simply didn't bring the energy that the Hold Steady did. Sure, "Let There Be Rock" was incredible, and I like their songs, it just didn't compare to the sound of the horn section blairing along to Craig Finn singing "Banging Camps." They easily put on one of the most passionate, fun, and energetic performances I've ever seen.

I'm a fan, however, I do think some of his stage antics are theatre so I guess I am questioning his sincerity. I think it works and gets the fans into the show.

• 3 months later...

Franz has left The Hold Steady:

http://www.franznicolay.com/

as someone who saw the band a few times prior to him joining... i can't say i'm SUPER bummed. they ruled just as much live w/o him.

sure his organ playing at times added a nice touch, and he was often fun to watch live... but a part of me hopes they'll just continue as a 4-piece straight up rock band like before, rather than to try and replace him.

To say the Hold Steady can survive without a majorly kickass keyboardist like Franz is blasphemy. And that man did kick ass. A LOT of ass. He gave meaning to the term "rock keyboardist". His parts were pure joy: "Sequestered in Memphis", "Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night", "Chips Ahoy", "Stuck Between Stations", "First Night", "The Swish", "Slapped Actress", the list goes on. I can't put it in words how much this guy inspired me. From his chops, to his look, to his stage presence, he was what The Hold Steady is all about - creating pure joy out of thin air. His quote in the A Positive Rage DVD said it all. To paraphrase, it was something along the lines of, "With music I can communicate with these people (the audience) in ways I cant otherwise communicate with them ... that I want to know what they're about, that I'm interested in their lives, etc. Music allows me to that"

Franz leaving is a major, major, major blow to everything we love about The Hold Steady. Next to Finn, I see him as the most irreplaceable guy in that band.

He was on everything but Almost Killed Me, easily their weakest album. Listen to Separation Sunday, Boys and Girls, and Stay Positive, and imagine all of those songs without keyboards.

Personally, I think Stay Positive is their weakest, and that's largely due to the overwhelming presence of the keyboards.