The Hold Steady

I keep seeing people hype these guys up, but I've never really been exposed to their music. I finally decided to check out some of their stuff. Based on my extensive research (ok, 5 or 6 youtube videos), my initial impression of them is that I really like the music and their overall sound, but I can't stand the lead singer.

I don't have any issues with the voice (Paul Westerberg and Ben Nichols are two of my favorite singers), it's the talk-singing shtick that I dislike greatly. Seems like he's trying too hard to be the next Bruce.

So did I just pick a few bad songs, or is that kind of what they're known for?

THS lovers - tell me what I'm missing out on.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure which videos you saw so I am not sure which songs to recommend. I would say I got hooked on "Stuck between stations" just the music though. I got a friend of mine to listen to them by playing "Sequestered in Memphis" even thought he hated Boys and Girls in America. I have never seen them live or looked them up on youtube, it might be a different experience. I think they are a good rock'n'roll band. Following the formula of sex drugs and rock'n'roll to sing about.

I think Craig Finn's voice/style is a bit of an acquired taste. My first exposure to them was Boys and Girls in America. Initially, I was lukewarm toward them for the reasons you state. However, I loved the music and the lyrics were outstanding - some great literary references and clever humor. If you want to give them an honest shot, I'd delve into their catalog chronologically.

Almost Killed Me

Separation Sunday

Boys and Girls in America

Stay Positive

There was a bit of an investment from me for it to sink in, but once it did, I was hooked hard. Great live show too.

If he's doing the "talk-singing shtick", it sounds like you have hit on some pretty representative stuff. I wouldn't really connect the talking-singing thing with Springsteen if that's the Bruce you are thinking of. But you are not the first person to find Finn annoying or aggravating. If anything, the only thing you are possibly missing is the atmosphere at a live show - the interaction between him and the fans that do like him is pretty intense. Otherwise it's probably just not for you.

I went to see the Drive-by Truckers on their tour with the Hold Steady last year. I bought a couple Hold Steady albums and wasn't impressed, but I figured the live show would change things for me. I don't attend many shows, so I want every one I do attend to be a great success. I didn't particularly like anything about the music - subject matter, music or vocal style, but I was open.

The Hold Steady came out after the Truckers, suddenly the audience came alive, and I was standing there looking around and thinking "what happened." All the trendy kids with their cute hats and scarves who had sat bored during the Truckers (or simply hadn't shown up yet) suddenly jumped up and came alive, and I'm the one standing there not knowing what to do. If it hadn't been a weeknight following an unusually long day at work we might of stayed, but I actually have no regrets that we left after 2 or 3 songs.

The Hold Steady came out after the Truckers, suddenly the audience came alive, and I was standing there looking around and thinking "what happened." All the trendy kids with their cute hats and scarves who had sat bored during the Truckers (or simply hadn't shown up yet) suddenly jumped up and came alive, and I'm the one standing there not knowing what to do. If it hadn't been a weeknight following an unusually long day at work we might of stayed, but I actually have no regrets that we left after 2 or 3 songs.

:rotfl

You pretty much nailed it.

If you don't like them, you don't like them. I would say that YouTube probably isn't the place to properly listen to a new band though. I'm on board with the list that Cortez provided. If those don't hit you, you probably won't become a fan.

As far as seeing them live, it certainly cemented it for me. I saw them live on the Boys & Girls tour and they killed. I also saw the DBT/THS tour and they blew DBT out of the water. Something I never thought I would say. Craig definitely has a bit of a theatrical side but he seems to be able to pull it off in the live atmosphere. Watching it on tv or youtube probably doesn't translate as well.

The first time I heard Separation Sunday, I was hooked hard and have been ever since, so that's the album I always recommend to people to start with. Their live show is great...first time I saw them they brought the audience up on stage for "Killer Parties" and everyone was jumping, dancing spraying free beer that Tad bought before the song.

I didn't see anyone with cute hats or scarves, though. Then again, I never see any of these trendy things down here.

Great band, great songwriter, great lyrics, and his vocal style has never bothered me. In fact, I think it fits perfectly with the songs he writes.

The first time I heard Separation Sunday, I was hooked hard and have been ever since, so that's the album I always recommend to people to start with.

That was the one that brought me into the fold too. I've been a big fan ever since, I even delved into some of the Lifter Puller stuff.

I saw them in Vancouver about a month ago and was honestly shocked at the number of frat-boy types in the audience. There were about a hundred of these dudes all up at the front of the stage, singing along to every word, hugging each other, high-fiving... I didn't really believe these people existed in Canada, let alone listened to (and clearly worshipped) The Hold Steady. But then thinking about it, what better music is there for teenage and undergrad guys? And like I said, they were all having a blast.

I'm a pretty big Hold Steady fan -- Separation Sunday is where I'd start, personally -- but that was the first time I saw Craig Finn live, and his theatrics did kind of grate on me.

My least favourite tic is when he sings a line, then steps away from the microphone and shrugs repeatedly while he mouths the line over again...

Also, the entire band was drinking Corona when I saw them. For a bunch of guys from Minnesota who sing predominately about getting fucked up, that was pretty weak.

My least favourite tic is when he sings a line, then steps away from the microphone and shrugs repeatedly while he mouths the line over again...

Also, the entire band was drinking Corona when I saw them. For a bunch of guys from Minnesota who sing predominately about getting fucked up, that was pretty weak.

The nerds eat that shit up.

Thanks for the input, guys (& gals?). I grabbed Separation Sunday and gave it a couple of spins. My initial reaction is pretty much holding steady (har de har har) - this is a kick-ass band with a very distracting (to me) lead singer.

Not sure if I'll be able to get past that - not quite as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard, but pretty damn close. Such a shame.

forgot my opinions:

probably my favorite band from the last 10 years, hands down. maybe even top 5 or 10 band ever for me. i personally love craig: his antics, his singing, his lyrics but most of all: his energy.

This all day.

I think each of their albums is a 9.0 at least. I want to scribble their lyrics on the margin of my notebook like a 14 year old female high school freshman.

I could put Citrus on repeat, leave it there for 2 or 3 days, and be totally happy.

First time I heard them was live at Lollapalooza in '06 or '07. Big fan ever since. Good Rock n Roll.

Citrus is great. I love that he seems to be totally blotto while recording it. Perfect for that song.