The Hold Steady

The Hold Steady recently put the finishing touches on ‘Heaven Is Whenever,’ their new album set for release May 4th on Vagrant Records and May 3rd on Rough Trade in the UK and EU. The album was produced by Dean Baltulonis, who engineered the band’s ‘Almost Killed Me’ and produced ‘Separation Sunday,’ and was recorded at Dreamland Recording Studios in Upstate NY and Wild Arctic Studios in Queens, NY, with mixing also happening at Wild Arctic.

Singer Craig Finn says ’Heaven Is Whenever’ is about “embracing suffering and finding reward in our everyday lives.” Piano and keys take a backseat to guitar on the new record, which also gets production help from guitarist Tad Kubler.

Recorded in several smaller sessions spread out over a long period of time, the songs on ‘Heaven Is Whenever’ received the benefit of being tested on the band’s recent tours. As Finn says this allowed them to “see what was working and what wasn’t. I believe this record benefits from us working at a more deliberate pace.”

The tracklisting for Heaven Is Whenever is:

1 The Sweet Part of the City

2 Soft in the Center

3 The Weekenders

4 The Smidge

5 Rock Problems

6 We Can Get Together

7 Hurricane J

8 Barely Breathing

9 Our Whole Lives

10 A Slight Discomfort

See The Hold Steady perform songs from Heaven Is Whenever and more at the dates below:

April 2nd Ardsley, NY LIFE the place to be

April 3rd New Haven, CT Toad's Place

April 5th South Burlington, VT Higher Ground

April 6th Northampton, MA Pearl Street

April 7th Albany, NY Norris Auditorium

April 8th Woodstock, NY Bearsville Theater

April 9th Jermyn, PA Eleanor Rigby's

April 10th Syracuse, NY The Westcott Theater

April 12th Rochester, NY The Club at Water Street Music Hall

April 13th Cleveland, OH Beachland Ballroom

April 14th Pittsburgh, PA Diesel Club Lounge

April 15th Morgantown, WV 123 Pleasant St.

April 16th Harrisburg, PA Appalachian Brewing Company

May 5th Los Angeles, CA El Rey Theatre

May 6th San Francisco, CA The Fillmore

May 29th George, WA Sasquatch

June 12th Newport, Isle of Wight Isle of Wight Festival

June 14th Paris, FR Fleche D'Or

June 21st Amsterdam, NL Melkeg

June 22nd London. UK HMV Forum

Jun 26th Manchester, UK Academy 2

For more information and tickets please visit http://www.theholdsteady.com

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hold Steady recently put the finishing touches on ‘Heaven Is Whenever,’ their new album set for release May 4th on Vagrant Records and May 3rd on Rough Trade in the UK and EU. The album was produced by Dean Baltulonis, who engineered the band’s ‘Almost Killed Me’ and produced ‘Separation Sunday,’ and was recorded at Dreamland Recording Studios in Upstate NY and Wild Arctic Studios in Queens, NY, with mixing also happening at Wild Arctic.

Singer Craig Finn says ’Heaven Is Whenever’ is about “embracing suffering and finding reward in our everyday lives.” Piano and keys take a backseat to guitar on the new record, which also gets production help from guitarist Tad Kubler.

Recorded in several smaller sessions spread out over a long period of time, the songs on ‘Heaven Is Whenever’ received the benefit of being tested on the band’s recent tours. As Finn says this allowed them to “see what was working and what wasn’t. I believe this record benefits from us working at a more deliberate pace.”

Yay! :dancing

• 3 weeks later...

What's up with the vocals? Not a fan of Craig on the verses. The chorus sounds like typical Hold Steady. I was hoping for something a little less poppy/anthemic (Almost Killed Me style), since this is what pre-release interviews have hinted at, but no dice. Sounds like a Stay Positive b-side, which, while not bad, is not good either.

What's up with the vocals? Not a fan of Craig on the verses. The chorus sounds like typical Hold Steady. I was hoping for something a little less poppy/anthemic (Almost Killed Me style), since this is what pre-release interviews have hinted at, but no dice. Sounds like a Stay Positive b-side, which, while not bad, is not good either.

i'm guessing it's more anthemic/poppy as it's the first single...

i like it more than a lot of stuff on Stay Positive :/

as for the vocals... on the chorus i actually think it's some of Craig's more mature and in-key singing :lol

i think the new song is great, its less "slapped-actress-ish," which is what i think they meant in those interviews.

its similar, but seems fresh. i cant wait for the new record