The Hold Steady

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another new song 'Barely Breathing'

http://stereogum.com...-premiere/mp3s/

verrrrrrry interesting song for them... i don't love it or hate it at this point, but it's certainly interesting. i actually do dig the clarinet solo and sax towards the end tho.

this line RULES however:

"Summer 88 of was all heat & intensity, saw the Youth of Today at the 7th Street Entry, there were skins in the pit, some of them tried to kill me"

laugh.gif

edit: after a couple more listens i'm def digging it :)

i hope i do. i never listen to stay positive.

Really? I think that is their most accomplished record by a mile. I could never get into the older ones but I love everything on "Stay Positive". I think their musicianship and songwriting took a major leap with that album.

Stay Positive is my least favorite Hold Steady album by quite a bit. a few great songs, but overall it's not my thing. the songs are a lot better live.

i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Craig stopped writing about the Twin Cities with SP. Thankfully he is again with the new one some.

Stay Positive is my least favorite Hold Steady album by quite a bit. a few great songs, but overall it's not my thing. the songs are a lot better live.

i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Craig stopped writing about the Twin Cities with SP. Thankfully he is again with the new one some.

So your main appreciation of The Hold Steady was the few times they name-checked Minneapolis? Odd...

i didn't say it was my main appreciation, not at all, but it certainly doesn't hurt, as i'm a Lifter Puller fan first and foremost, thus why i hold Almost Killed Me in such high regard still. musically a lot of things on Stay Positive annoyed me (the harpsichord on One For The Cutters in particular) too, so it def wasn't just the lyrics.

but the plethora of Twin Cities lyrical references can only be fully appreciated if you've ever lived or spent time here...

check out this Google Maps thing i created a few years ago, that explains all of the Twin Cities lyrical references through Boys and Girls In America:

http://morecowbell.net/theholdsteady/

for example, do you know what/where Penetration Park is referring to?

i'd argue it's no different than kids growing up in Jersey being able to relate to the Boss's lyrics more than others at times too. in fact i've got Bruce friends who have visited a ton of the spots he writes about (10th Ave & E Street, etc.)

i didn't say it was my main appreciation, not at all, but it certainly doesn't hurt, as i'm a Lifter Puller fan first and foremost, thus why i hold Almost Killed Me in such high regard still. musically a lot of things on Stay Positive annoyed me (the harpsichord on One For The Cutters in particular) too, so it def wasn't just the lyrics.

but the plethora of Twin Cities lyrical references can only be fully appreciated if you've ever lived or spent time here...

check out this Google Maps thing i created a few years ago, that explains all of the Twin Cities lyrical references through Boys and Girls In America:

i'd argue it's no different than kids growing up in Jersey being able to relate to the Boss's lyrics more than others at times too. in fact i've got Bruce friends who have visited a ton of the spots he writes about (10th Ave & E Street, etc.)

exactly. living here for so long (either fully now or just two hours away when i was a kid) really makes a connection w/ the older records. plus, i loved the big guitar riffs & craig's half-singing/half-talking he had going on in the first few albums.

Wow. Not what I expected. It's definitely going to be polarizing. Not sure the indie kids are going to stick around.

That said, here are a few thoughts from listen #1.

Love the beginning. Love the band channeling the Stones. A ballsy opener for sure, but it makes perfect sense. We'd like to play for you.

One thing about the CD booklet, the graphics and lyrics are a great companion to the music. And this is, first and foremost, a record. It needs to be listened to in one sitting. It's a journey. From The Sweet Part of the City to A Slight Discomfort.

My one complaint, the background vocals are a bit too much. They feel a little overproduced. Oh, and where did the guitar solo go on "We Can Get Together?" But, there sure are some great guitar solos on this one.

This one didn't grab me right away like Boys and Girls in America did. But I think it's going to stick around longer than Stay Positive.

It's a deep, thick record. It takes time. I'm really thankful that I got to experience the first listening on vinyl, just like the old days. Thanks Record Store Day!

OK, here goes listen #2....

After a few listens, I like it quite a bit. Need to spend more time with it.

For the life of me, I'm not sure why fans didn't like Stay Positive. It has 6 or 7 of my favorite Hold Steady songs on it. I didn't realize that it was something that fans didn't like.

Saw the Hold Steady Friday night in Harrisburg. One of the most fun shows I've been to in a while.

The venue was a local brewpub/restaurant that has a second bar and stage on the second floor. The capacity was around 380, so it was really tight, sweaty, and loud, like a good rock show should be. Two days later and my left ear is still ringing. The crowd was fantastic, rowdy but not rude. Everyone went apeshit at the start of Hornets! and never let up until the houselights came on. I haven't seen the band since Lolla 07, so it was great to be up close and personal with Criag Finn. He was having the time of his life too.

Here's the setlist:

Sweet Part of the City

Hornets! Hornets!

Hurricane J

Chips Ahoy!

Magazines

Charlemagne In Sweatpants

Banging Camp

Constructive Summer

Hot Soft Light

Criminal Fingers

Most People Are DJ's

Rock Problems

Sequestered In Memphis

The Swish

Barfruit Blues

Ascension Blues

Stuck Between Stations

Stay Positive

The Weekenders

Southtown Girls

ENCORE:

You Can Make Him Like You

Your Little Hoodrat Friend

Killer Parties

So yeah, awesome show at an awesome venue. Can't wait to go back next week and see Titus Andronicus there.

For the life of me, I'm not sure why fans didn't like Stay Positive. It has 6 or 7 of my favorite Hold Steady songs on it. I didn't realize that it was something that fans didn't like.

I really enjoy Stay Positive. At least half of it, I love. It just didn't compare to the first three for me. We'll see where Heaven ends up after a few months.

btw, as someone who was lucky enough to buy a copy of the new album at Record Store Day on Saturday, i can tell you that the vinyl rips going around online are AWFUL sounding hmm.gif

I bought a presale copy from the band's site last week. I figured there would be no way copies would end up in Canada. And then, Saturday morning, there it was. I did find a copy. I was disappointed by the RSD cover (not nearly as good as the real cover) and the price ($35). Plus it felt like it must be incredibly thin vinyl. So I'm glad I went the presale route.

btw, as someone who was lucky enough to buy a copy of the new album at Record Store Day on Saturday, i can tell you that the vinyl rips going around online are AWFUL sounding hmm.gif

I was traveling from Boston to Washington DC on Record Store Day and wasn't able to buy the vinyl, so I'm really looking forward to a good rip, or for it to come out on CD. I am a huge Hold Steady fan however, and downloaded this just because I wanted to hear the songs. The only song I still don't like very much is Rock Problems which reminds me of something from the 70's or 80's that I can't put my finger on, but bugs me. I love how the first three tracks flow, and Hurricane J is still a great anthem.

very cool. thanks.

Did not like the first two songs they released (Hurricane J and Rock Problems). They seem to fit a bit better in the context of the album now that I've had several listens. I did not love Stay Positive. Some good songs on it, but a very uneven record overall. Based on the the first two songs and the lukewarm reaction I had to SP, I did not think I would like this album at all. But I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. I LOVE The Weekenders and really like Sweet Part of the City and Smidge. Some great stuff leaked in the past week or so - Black Keys, National, and this. 2010 is shaping up very, very well musically.