The Hold Steady

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on everything but Almost Killed Me, easily their weakest album. Listen to Separation Sunday, Boys and Girls, and Stay Positive, and imagine all of those songs without keyboards.

nope.

Almost Killed Me is damn near their best record.

Stay Positive is their without question their weakest album.

To say the Hold Steady can survive without a majorly kickass keyboardist like Franz is blasphemy. And that man did kick ass. A LOT of ass. He gave meaning to the term "rock keyboardist". His parts were pure joy: "Sequestered in Memphis", "Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night", "Chips Ahoy", "Stuck Between Stations", "First Night", "The Swish", "Slapped Actress", the list goes on. I can't put it in words how much this guy inspired me. From his chops, to his look, to his stage presence, he was what The Hold Steady is all about - creating pure joy out of thin air. His quote in the A Positive Rage DVD said it all. To paraphrase, it was something along the lines of, "With music I can communicate with these people (the audience) in ways I cant otherwise communicate with them ... that I want to know what they're about, that I'm interested in their lives, etc. Music allows me to that"

Franz leaving is a major, major, major blow to everything we love about The Hold Steady. Next to Finn, I see him as the most irreplaceable guy in that band.

did you ever see them without him? granted i only saw them without him 3-4x vs. 10+ with, but they were much more of a rock/punk band prior to him joining, which i prefer (as i prefer Lifter Puller too)

his stage presence was fun sometimes, but annoying often as well. he often tried to steal the spotlight from Craig and the rest of the band.

nice enough guy, but Matt's right, i won't miss his backup vocals whatsoever (have you listened to his Major General record? *:yucky*)

Tad is much more irreplaceable than Franz.

Personally, I think Stay Positive is their weakest, and that's largely due to the overwhelming presence of the keyboards.

totally agree. the keyboards on that album are so obnoxious.

AGREED.

i love maybe 3-4 songs total on that album. the Harpsichord on 'One For The Cutters' made me cringe it was so bad. i came to love a few songs live after a while, but overall i'm hoping for much more w/ this new album.

I can't say I'm upset by this. In fact, this guy was the main reason I could never profess my total love for these guys. He just looked and sounded like he should have been in a Sha Na Na tribute band.

and you're certainly not alone in that... a few of my friends used to really dig THS (and were longtime/hard core LFTR PLLR fans), but once Franz joined they lost a ton of interest in seeing them live.

did you ever see them without him? granted i only saw them without him 3-4x vs. 10+ with, but they were much more of a rock/punk band prior to him joining, which i prefer (as i prefer Lifter Puller too)

his stage presence was fun sometimes, but annoying often as well. he often tried to steal the spotlight from Craig and the rest of the band.

nice enough guy, but Matt's right, i won't miss his backup vocals whatsoever (have you listened to his Major General record? *:yucky*)

Tad is much more irreplaceable than Franz.

I have not seen them sans Franz. But it's not about Almost Killed Me vs. Stay Positive, and we're talking about The Hold Steady, not Lifter Puller. The bulk of THS's work featured large contributions from Franz on keys and vocals. If you see them live now, they play only three Almost Killed Me songs on a regular basis. Franz was integral in making 3 out of the 4 THS albums, and those 3 out of the 4 THS albums make up the large majority of THS shows today, so by the transitive property, Franz was an integral part of what THS is today.

How did he try to steal the spotlight? You make it sound like he'd take out a trumpet during Craig's vocals in "Lord I'm Discouraged" and start soloing. Just because the guy looked happy and got into it onstage, doesn't mean he has an agenda. I haven't listened to Major General record, but I was never a huge fan of his vocals anyways, so I'll stay away. His "woah"ing is undeniable though.

Tad is a douche.

Tad's a douche?

that's news to me.

what, did he not sign your Fender Squire strat you brought out after the show or what? :rolleyes

as for Almost Killed Me songs live, maybe they play a lot more in Minnesota than usual? idk. they consistently play a 3-4 per show here.

i guess i can understand how someone might have found Franz a totally integral part of THS if they never saw them without him or prefer the songs where he plays keys/sings backu, i just however am not one of those people is all i guess.

different strokes as they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new tour dates announced today. A lot of really small venues, which will be fun:

04-02 Ardsley, NY - LIFE

04-03 New Haven, CT - Toad's Place

04-06 Northampton, MA - Pearl Street

04-07 Albany, NY - Linda Norris Auditorium

04-08 Woodstock, NY - Bearsville Theater

04-09 Jermyn, PA - Eleanor Rigby's

04-10 Syracuse, NY - The Westcott Theater

04-12 Rochester, NY - The Club at Water Street Music Hall

04-13 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom

04-14 Pittsburgh, PA - Diesel Club Lounge

04-15 Morgantown, WV - 123 Pleasant St.

04-16 Harrisburg, PA - Appalachian Brewing Company

I'm hoping to catch them in Jermyn (my dad's one-stoplight hometown!) or Harrisburg. Syracuse would've been so much easier except that I'll be in Philly for Wilco that night

Oh shit - they will blow the roof off the Bearsville Theater.

I can't believe I managed to miss both of their Ithaca shows last year, considering neither would've been more than a 10-minute drive :frusty The Westcott would be a no-brainer for me if I were going to be home that weekend. Have you been there yet? I haven't, and I'm interested to hear more about it.

I don't know how far from here you are from Ithaca, but we're getting some pretty good shows in the next few months, mostly because of Dan Smalls. I'm planning to see the Avett Brothers and Deer Tick at the very least. Cornell is bringing in the Flaming Lips in April, too.

I find it incredibly weird that they're playing in Ardsley, NY, which is a little town in Westchester County (northern NYC suburbs). I've never heard of LIFE. It's probably like a storefront or something. Really wish I could make it, but I've got another engagement in Montclair, NJ, that night. :blush

Since Franz Nicolay has left the band, it's looking like the rationale for the small clubs in close proximity to NYC may be to break in a new keyboard player. Or not.

I'm in for Syracuse. I've never been to the Westcott (or any other venue in Syracuse for that matter). But for anybody planning a trip, I got the Renaissance Hotel for $57 plus taxes on Priceline.

I love the Hold Steady albums but have not enjoyed either time I've seen them. i get used to the timing and delivery of the studio version and then get pissed at the drunken chaos that takes place on stage.

Caught the tour with DBT, never heard the Truckers before, but I won't miss them again. They opened, they killed it, I loved'em. After the truckers, I kind of got bored with THS, and I'm a fan whose seen them before. I was just overwhelmed by the truckers, they nailed it for me.