Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, 11/7/09 NYC

I wasn't even there, but the historic nature of this show in Madison Square Garden makes it one for the ages. It sounds as if Bruce pulled out all the stops to tackle such a sprawling, epic record. And how about "Thundercrack," to open. I lifted the post and setlist below from Backstreets. Tonight their doing "The River" in it's entirety and I believe a couple of our fellow VCers will be there.

November 7 / Madison Square Garden / New York, NY

Notes: Noting that there were only eight shows left on the tour, Bruce paused before the sixth song of his set on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden to say that he and the band appreciated the support of their fans over the past few years and that they wanted to do something that was a "nice treat for the fans and for us."

So began the first-ever top-to-bottom performance of The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle. Bruce shushed the audience, tapped a baton against his microphone stand and turned to face the horn section (set up on the back riser behind the piano) to conduct them as "The E Street Shuffle" kicked off an amazing seven-song performance.

Bruce completely followed through on his intent to treat the audience, as he unquestionably went above and beyond to ensure a performance that did his second album proud. Richard Blackwell (who played on the original record) was on stage to add conga to "New York City Serenade." There was a full five-piece horn section for "The E Street Shuffle" and "Kitty’s Back." There was an eight-piece string section (led by the Session Band's Sam Bardfeld and conducted by Charlie Giordano) for "New York City Serenade." Bruce had even started the evening's proceedings with "Thundercrack," indicating that it was "an outtake" from the album (here's hoping for "Restless Nights," "Take 'Em as They Come," or "I Wanna Be With You" for Sunday!)

Highlights from the performance of the album... well, it was an embarrassment of riches. Some of the most prominent included Bruce's fantastic guitar solo at the end of "Incident on 57th Street," finding variations of the melodic theme to end the song; Roy’s piano introduction to "New York City Serenade," with Bruce on acoustic guitar to replicate the album arrangement; various members of the band and horn section soloing on "Kitty's Back," or even the sparse "Wild Billy’s Circus Story" with Roy on accordion and Garry on tuba.

The energy in the building, with an elated New York City crowd well aware of the momentousness of the occasion, was off the charts for most of the night. With the album understandably the predetermined highlight, it was difficult for Bruce to keep the entire show at that same level — how could he? But "Bus Stop," via sign request, and an intense "Human Touch," with Patti Scialfa back on stage tonight, were additional high points. And the encore wrapped up quite nicely as surprise special guest Elvis Costello joined the band for "Higher and Higher," singing lead on the first verse. Back on stage with Bruce after the taping for Spectacle six weeks earlier, Elvis brought much of the same soul-singer showmanship that Bruce does — and that the song requires — to great effect.

But really, the story of this show will always be the magnificent recreation of Bruce's second record. That performance, "something that’s never been done before," will forever be in the "very special" category of the Bruce history books.

- Glenn Radecki reporting

Setlist:

Thundercrack

Seeds

Prove It All Night

Hungry Heart

Working on a Dream

The E Street Shuffle (with Curt Ramm & horns)

4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)

Kitty's Back (with Curt Ramm & horns)

Wil Billy's Circus Story

Incident on 57th Street

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

New York City Serenade (with Richard Blackwell, the Sam Bardfeld Strings, Curt Ramm & horns)

Waitin' on a Sunny Day

Raise Your Hand

Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?

Glory Days

Human Touch

Lonesome Day

The Rising

Born to Run

Wrecking Ball (with Curt Ramm)

Bobby Jean

American Land (with Curt Ramm and Sam Bardfeld)

Dancing in the Dark

Higher and Higher (with Elvis Costello, Richard Blackwell)

It was a great night and while the encores were a little clean up for the casual fans and a bit disappointing, the main set was largely for long time hardcore fans. Bruce was clearly thrilled with how the album came off. So many highlights but none more than a note perfect transcendent rendition of NYC Serenade.

Oh, and by the way, I have saying for year's that Jeff should take a stab at Wild Billy's for his solo shows. Its made for him.

Oh, lord. Sounds like a tremendous show. I love the Bruce "epics" and seeing Thundercrack and Kitty's Back in the same show (though I've seen them separately before) would have been amazing. Seemed like a little bit of a shorter setlist in terms of the number of songs. I wonder how much other stuff they'll get to tonight with 19 songs of The River to perform. I'm subscribing to "the second night's always better than the first" rule of a two-night stand, so here's hoping! :thumbup

Oh, lord. Sounds like a tremendous show. I love the Bruce "epics" and seeing Thundercrack and Kitty's Back in the same show (though I've seen them separately before) would have been amazing. Seemed like a little bit of a shorter setlist in terms of the number of songs. I wonder how much other stuff they'll get to tonight with 19 songs of The River to perform. I'm subscribing to "the second night's always better than the first" rule of a two-night stand, so here's hoping! :thumbup

Yes, on paper its a shorter setlist. But one must consider that Kitty's back was almost 15 minutes long (way longer than usual), NYC serenade clocks in over 10 minutes, Rosalita is over 7 minutes, as is Incident on 57th street.

As for the show itself, absolutely perfect. Never thought i'd be able to see NYC Serenade live. And it exceded every expectation, from the opening notes of Roys piano intro. I nearly began to weep when the strings came in for the chorus, they sounded frighteningly similar to the strings on the original recording. And the horns on E street shuffle and Kitty's back really made those performances unique as well. I ALMOST didn't care about what they played after that. But they really should have done either 10th avenue freeze out with the horns, or Jungleland with the strings, those would have beem absolutely incredible. But i can't complain. Other than the album, notable performances were a Surprising Thundercrack, a great rendition of Prove it All night, and a great surprise with Does this bus stop at 82nd street. Elvis Costello's appearance was a pleasant surprise as well.

The air is pretty electric around MSG. The arena itself is pretty average but it has that history and it’s New York. There is an energy in the air. I could feel it. Bruce has been playing albums from beginning to end on this tour. He has done Born To Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born in the USA. But when it was announced early last week he was going to the The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, and The River, front to back in New York, fans went a little crazy.

I was lucky enough to have a GA ticket and it turned out that everybody who did the pit lottery was a winner. So I was dead centre, back the equivalent of about 6 rows. Before the show opens, Pat Riley is walking around in the pit with the setlist in his back pocket.

They open with Thundercrack. You know it’s going to be a pretty unique night when the opening song is an outtake…… It was a The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle-era outtake so it made sense but still. New York baby. And right into Seeds. The intensity of the night was already pretty evident. Bruce never really takes a night off but having seen more than 40 shows, it was clear they were stepping it up a notch this night.

Prove It All Night and then the Hungry Heart crowd surf. By the way, I had my back right up against the “Hungry Heart” stage. You can see some guy I met give me the high five at 2:43 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTiWUL1_-Vk

On to the main event of the night. Augmented by 5 brass players, an additional percussionist, and I think 8 string players, the WIESS album was brought to life like it never has been in a live setting. Bruce introduced the album as taking place partly in Jersey and partly through his romantic imagination in New York.

The E Street Shuffle with the horns really swung. Real jazz fans would die if I called the WIESS a jazz album but the influence is clearly in there and this was a great version. If it is possible that Sandy was a little flat, Kitty’s Back more than made up for it. A remarkable version. In the instrumental break, the horn players all took a solo, and then Max played a remarkable, extended solo of his own. And then Bruce shredded it up. It was a little sad here to see that Bruce didn’t turn to Clarence to take a solo – he really is looking his age and really tired. They really made an effort to reproduce the album they way it was recorded - Wild Billy’s Circus Story was done with Roy on accordion and Gary on tuba. Garry is a little weak on the tuba but he made it work.

I’d heard Incident on 57th Street done live and I have seen Rosalita lots of times. But I’d never heard Incident run into Rosalita like it does on the album. Clearly the way it should be done. Monumental.

And close the album with New York Serenade. I’ve only seen this done a couple of times but this was by far the best. The strings really added to it. It’s midnight in Manhattan indeed.

WIESS start to end was so amazing that if felt at that point like the rest of the night would be anticlimactic. But there were still some highlights to come.

Waiting On A Sunny Day

Raise Your Hand

Another surprise. Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? Great version.

Glory Days was played for the friggin Yankees.

If I had made a list of songs I wanted to hear, Human Touch would not likely have made the top 50. However, Patti has been home for most of this tour but was on stage in New York. And the duet they did on Human Touch was very hot. Truly passionate.

Lonesome Day

The Rising

House lights up. Born to Run. Killed - like always.

Wrecking Ball

Bobby Jean

American Land

Dancing in the Dark. Brought someone up to dance with him who was reportely his sister.

I was ready to die happy at that point and had a feeling the show was over. Nope. He brings out special guest Elvis Costello who joins the E Street Band for an extended version of the Jackie Wilson song Higher and Higher. Just nuts.

A truly magical night. In reply the above, they played just over 3 hours.

The air is pretty electric around MSG. The arena itself is pretty average but it has that history and it’s New York. There is an energy in the air. I could feel it. Bruce has been playing albums from beginning to end on this tour. He has done Born To Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born in the USA. But when it was announced early last week he was going to the The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, and The River, front to back in New York, fans went a little crazy.

I was lucky enough to have a GA ticket and it turned out that everybody who did the pit lottery was a winner. So I was dead centre, back the equivalent of about 6 rows. Before the show opens, Pat Riley is walking around in the pit with the setlist in his back pocket.

They open with Thundercrack. You know it’s going to be a pretty unique night when the opening song is an outtake…… It was a The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle-era outtake so it made sense but still. New York baby. And right into Seeds. The intensity of the night was already pretty evident. Bruce never really takes a night off but having seen more than 40 shows, it was clear they were stepping it up a notch this night.

Prove It All Night and then the Hungry Heart crowd surf. By the way, I had my back right up against the “Hungry Heart” stage. You can see some guy I met give me the high five at 2:43 – http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bTiWUL1_-Vk

On to the main event of the night. Augmented by 5 brass players, an additional percussionist, and I think 8 string players, the WIESS album was brought to life like it never has been in a live setting. Bruce introduced the album as taking place partly in Jersey and partly through his romantic imagination in New York.

The E Street Shuffle with the horns really swung. Real jazz fans would die if I called the WIESS a jazz album but the influence is clearly in there and this was a great version. If it is possible that Sandy was a little flat, Kitty’s Back more than made up for it. A remarkable version. In the instrumental break, the horn players all took a solo, and then Max played a remarkable, extended solo of his own. And then Bruce shredded it up. It was a little sad here to see that Bruce didn’t turn to Clarence to take a solo – he really is looking his age and really tired. They really made an effort to reproduce the album they way it was recorded - Wild Billy’s Circus Story was done with Roy on accordion and Gary on tuba. Garry is a little weak on the tuba but he made it work.

I’d heard Incident on 57th Street done live and I have seen Rosalita lots of times. But I’d never heard Incident run into Rosalita like it does on the album. Clearly the way it should be done. Monumental.

And close the album with New York Serenade. I’ve only seen this done a couple of times but this was by far the best. The strings really added to it. It’s midnight in Manhattan indeed.

WIESS start to end was so amazing that if felt at that point like the rest of the night would be anticlimactic. But there were still some highlights to come.

Waiting On A Sunny Day

Raise Your Hand

Another surprise. Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street? Great version.

Glory Days was played for the friggin Yankees.

If I had made a list of songs I wanted to hear, Human Touch would not likely have made the top 50. However, Patti has been home for most of this tour but was on stage in New York. And the duet they did on Human Touch was very hot. Truly passionate.

Lonesome Day

The Rising

House lights up. Born to Run. Killed - like always.

Wrecking Ball

Bobby Jean

American Land

Dancing in the Dark. Brought someone up to dance with him who was reportely his sister.

I was ready to die happy at that point and had a feeling the show was over. Nope. He brings out special guest Elvis Costello who joins the E Street Band for an extended version of the Jackie Wilson song Higher and Higher. Just nuts.

A truly magical night. In reply the above, they played just over 3 hours.

I have been a Bruce Springsteen fanatic since before I was able to drive or even shave. He has been the soundtrack to my youth, my married life, my fatherhood and my descent into heavy middle age. I followed him across Texas (San Antonio, AAustin, Dallas, Houston) and points beyond (New Orlean, Jackson, Memphis, Nashville) in the Summer of 1978...my last hurrah before College.

He skipped Dallas this tour. I have not had the financial independence to travel outside the Dallas area for shows. And that sucks because this seems to be an unofficial swan song. I am glad I took D-man to see him on the Magic tour stop here. He is simply incomparable and we will never see the likes of him again.

I have never really cared for the song Thundercrack. Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?, however, is one of my favorite Bruce songs. Wild Billy's Circus Story I have always liked also. I wonder if Vini Lopez and David Sancious were at the show.

I have never really cared for the song Thundercrack. Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street?, however, is one of my favorite Bruce songs. Wild Billy's Circus Story I have always liked also. I wonder if Vini Lopez and David Sancious were at the show.

Nah, they weren't there. I was hoping, there were rumors circulating. Especially since Mad dog just appeared a week or two ago to play drums on Spirit in the Night with Bruce and the E street band. Would have been incredible. But hey, Roy and Max aren't that bad either :D

I didn't know that he recently joined them.

I may have the history wrong but I think Davey left on his own, and had some success on his terms, whereas Vini was asked to leave. Having said that, I think Bruce still has a soft spot in his heart for Vini and Vini is still "around" a little bit. If you go to Bruce's site now http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html he is promoting the Steel Mill reunion http://steelmillretro.com/

I've never been able to get into Springsteen, but I can certainly get into the fact that everyone here had an amazing time, and how many people really love him. Really glad for everyone that got to see this. It's kind of cool to see such joy from folks. It's infectious. :)

I may have the history wrong but I think Davey left on his own, and had some success on his terms, whereas Vini was asked to leave. Having said that, I think Bruce still has a soft spot in his heart for Vini and Vini is still "around" a little bit. If you go to Bruce's site now http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html he is promoting the Steel Mill reunion http://steelmillretro.com/

He was also called in to do some work on a few of the songs on Tracks some years back.

great reviews, and hard to add much more. I have seen many, many Bruce shows, and I believe this was my fav.

Thundercrack & NYC Serenade are 2 of my favs and they were done perfectly. Bruce was very much into detail for this show, and WIESS was done to perfection. The horns & strings were magic. I got the chills many times during the show. I'm not a fan of the Glory Days, Sunny Day, Bobby Jean Bruce, but it all sounded good on this night.

I heard the Vinny & David rumor, but this was for this E Street Band. Vinny hasn't played with Bruce in 30 years, except for that one song effert. I couldn't see him just coming in so quickly and being as great as Max.

It's going to be hard saying goodbye to this tour, and perhaps for ever. I see Bruce doing a solo tour, like Devils & Dust. I t might be it for the band, we'll see.

To echo some earlier sentiments, and I admit being biased as a huge fan, but once he and his band call it quits for good, there truly wont ever be another like them. I mean the core of these guys have been playing together for 35 years now. And unlike the Stones, The Who, etc, their contemporary music and especially their live performances are as relevant as ever. I wish I had the means to see as many shows as I could, but I am eternally thankful for the dozen or so I have witnessed over the years. Those shows have brought out emotions in me, that I've never felt during any other concert, and emotions that rarely come out in my life in general. Damn I feel like I'm writing a eulogy here. Long Live The E Street Band!

That reminds me -

In one of the old Circus magazines I have from 1975, there is an article about Bruce, mainly about his mode of travel, actually. There are some photographs, of course, along with the article. One of the photographs shows Steven without a hat on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New to this forum so please pardon me for chiming in late>>

MSG did not get thee but >>>

Saw the tour 5x

2x in Boston Garden in the Spring

1x in Hartford Very Hot Show Physically and Temps in low 80s at curtain Pit was hades but Fun

2x in Mansfield Burning Love Point Blank Devil with the Blue Dress

All above were awesome

Very Much looking ahead to seeing Wilco Boston NH and RI (wkg on CT)

That reminds me -

In one of the old Circus magazines I have from 1975, there is an article about Bruce, mainly about his mode of travel, actually. There are some photographs, of course, along with the article. One of the photographs shows Steven without a hat on.

Looks like that article, along with others, is now available as a torrent: http://jungleland.dnsalias.com/torrents-details.php?id=32905

All the '78 radio broadcasts are amazing. If you don't already have them, keep an eye out for the Roxy show in LA, the Passaic New Jersey show, and the Winderland show from San Fran.

I've heard of those shows, but never heard them.