top ten artists of the decade

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people think I'd like MMJ. However, I have a really hard time with them. I'll check out the track you mention.

I have a hard time with plenty of their stuff too. But what they do well, they do really, really well. They're so tight on Okonokos...a lot of the jam-boogie stuff on that double disc ranks right up there with Waiting For Columbus, for me.

A lot of people think I'd like MMJ. However, I have a really hard time with them. I'll check out the track you mention.

Have you been able to see them live? Great live act. I like ~ 90% of their stuff. Their newest didn't resonate with me as much but I didn't spend nearly the time with it that I have w/their previous releases.

I just want to throw Damon Albarn's name onto the list. Between composing sountracks, Gorillaz, The Good The Bad & The Queen, and late Blur material (plus reuniting for recent live shows) - he's had a tremendous decade.

100% agreed!!!!

Think Tank

Gorillaz

Demon Days

The Good, The Bad and The Queen

Mali Music

All very solid records!!

I exaggerate. But if you're a Neil fan, you at least oughta hear and acknowledge the live Okonokos version of Dondante, one of the best things anyone's done this decade IMO.

if you didn't notice, i started this thread and put mmj at #2 on my list. i believe someone else mentioned mmj in their list as well. my forum name is also "dondante". haha.

I have a hard time with plenty of their stuff too. But what they do well, they do really, really well. They're so tight on Okonokos...a lot of the jam-boogie stuff on that double disc ranks right up there with Waiting For Columbus, for me.

Well, I stand corrected. Just gave Okonokos a spin in its entirety. It is quite good. And "Dondante" is a pretty fucking amazing song.

if you didn't notice, i started this thread and put mmj at #2 on my list. i believe someone else mentioned mmj in their list as well. my forum name is also "dondante". haha.

Duh, I thought so. I double checked before I posted that and still didn't see it. It's been a long week.......

(but I still get the kickback for converting Cortez...haha)

Have you been able to see them live? Great live act. I like ~ 90% of their stuff. Their newest didn't resonate with me as much but I didn't spend nearly the time with it that I have w/their previous releases.

i've tried with them too. in my opinion they could be incredible. they are tight and the songs are, as is production. however, jim james intentionally sings a little sharp which is really annoying. also some of their lyrics are just bad...'baby in a blender'? finally, jim james just ruins his songs with the goofy singing. i wish he would take himself a bit more seriously. just a bit. It Still Moves is a pretty a good album if a bit long. Golden, I Will Sing You Songs great songs. the first two albums built up to that. instead of sticking with that classic sound/formula, Yim f'ed it all up.

case in point-monsters of folk. how bad is that album?

Jim isn't always a great lyricist. I like his writing often, but I can agree with that criticism. However, I don't think his vocals are "goofy" at all. What makes you say this?

i don't know, i just like it when he sings straight and doesn't get nasally or sing from way back in his throat.

i've tried with them too. in my opinion they could be incredible. they are tight and the songs are, as is production. however, jim james intentionally sings a little sharp which is really annoying. also some of their lyrics are just bad...'baby in a blender'? finally, jim james just ruins his songs with the goofy singing. i wish he would take himself a bit more seriously. just a bit. It Still Moves is a pretty a good album if a bit long. Golden, I Will Sing You Songs great songs. the first two albums built up to that. instead of sticking with that classic sound/formula, Yim f'ed it all up.

case in point-monsters of folk. how bad is that album?

monsters of folk is a great album if you ask me. jim does have a sense of humor with some of his lyrics, and i can understand some people not really getting it/or writing it off as "goofy". but, as with all great music, some people will appreciate it, some won't. there are still people living amongst us who don't like the beatles.

I wanted to throw out there that I saw My Morning Jacket open for Doves in 2002 when no one knew who they were.

My friend and I got up close. It was as the Avalon in Boston, MA. It was weird to see a singer with his hair completely covering his face.

We wondered if Cousin It had shown up and stolen the lead singer.

Great show! I've also seen them open up for Wilco (obviously) in 2005 at Agganis Arena in Boston. Another great show. Then a 3rd time in between. Something tells me that they opened for Foo Fighters. And Pete Yorn was also on the bill? It seems a bit odd for those 3 to be on the same bill.

I'd like to throw 2 names into the ring. I'm sure they won't be met with such enthusiasm. While I have admired every name on the list, I noticed a lot of the stuff seemed a bit depressing. Which can be good.

Muse - One of the best live shows I have seen. They really bring something new and different to arena rock, yet something very familiar.

They have 4 great albums out this decade.

Origin Of Symmetry

Absolution

Black Holes & Revelations

The Resistance

The Killers - It fascinates me that a band can jump between Top 40, Modern Rock, Adult Contemporary, etc. and still bring in people that are Goths, scenesters, hipsters, etc. I still can't classify what they are. They don't really sound like anything else. I can see the comparisons to The Cure or Duran Duran and Depeche Mode. But they still have their own sound. Plus, Brandon Flowers is one hell of a showman. People always talk about Chris Martin. Well, when I see him it looks like he's always seeking approval and unsure of himself. Flowers has this confidence and assurance and niceness to him that echoes Bono in the early 80s. Check out the recently released Live At The Royal Albert Hall for evidence. I've seen them live (another one of the best) and the crowd really gets into it and so did I. Oh, and it was refreshing to hear saxophone solos again. It's one thing that's been missing since the 80s. :ninja

Once again these 2 bands are sort of options for the other stuff listed. To mix things up.

Will Oldham has been busy this decade as Bonnie Prince Billy.

I See Darkness

Ease Down The Road

Master And Everyone

Superwolf

The Letting Go

Lie Down In the Light

Beware

I know i'm forgetting a bunch. i love his instrumental music too, like the tune at the end of Wendy and Lucy. also, he's acted a bit this decade as well, Old Joy is an incredible movie if you haven't seen it. will has a lead and is just great.

• 2 weeks later...

It is difficult to choose the top artists of the decade. How to choose criteria? Most influential? Most output (quantity)? Best output (quality)? Most record sales? ... too tough.

But I can offer my personally important artists of the decade. The ones that most influenced my musical decade, They are as follows:

Wilco

Iron & Wine

Ryan Adams

Avett Brothers

Gillian Welch

Andrew Bird

Bright Eyes

This is going to sound a bit weird coming from a middle aged, curmudgeon like myself but from a purely pop single point of view... Beyonce/Destiny's Child have put out some tail shaking, dance monsters of singles and I have enjoyed the heck out of them, especially when drunk.

I've only had a brief scour through this thread in the short time I have, and agree with a number of choices. Wilco, obviously, MMJ / Jim James, Conor Oberst / Bright Eyes, Ryan Adams all immediately spring to mind, but has anyone mentioned Super Furry Animals / Gruff Rhys? Surely contenders?!

Bruce Springsteen is an artist for the AGES. His track record for this decade(his fourth as a major label artist) is simply beyond comparison.

Any list of top ten artists of the decade that doesn't include Springsteen is, well, suspect at best.

CD releases:

2001 Live in New York City

2002 The Rising

2005 Devils & Dust

2005 Born to Run Remastered

2006 Hammersmith Odeon London '75

2006 We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

2007 Live in Dublin

2007 Magic

2009 Working on a Dream

plus the following DVD releases

2003 Live in Barcelona

2005 VH1 Storytellers

2005 Wings For Wheels

2005 Hammersmith Odeon London '75

2007 Live in Dublin

PLUS well over 600 band or solo shows (including around 115 in 2003 and 2004 the only years without a substantial release).

Thirty six years into his career and he's still performing narathon shows that are better thatn antyhing you are liable to ever see again and he's still releasing new work.

He has just finished up the decade (so far) with over 170 shows from 2008 to date.

GIVE THE MAN HIS DUE.

Bruce Springsteen is an artist for the AGES. His track record for this decade(his fourth as a major label artist) is simply beyond comparison.

Any list of top ten artists of the decade that doesn't include Springsteen is, well, suspect at best.

CD releases:

2002 The Rising

2005 Devils & Dust

2005 Born to Run Remastered

2006 Hammersmith Odeon London '75

2006 We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

2007 Live in Dublin

2007 Magic

2009 Working on a Dream

plus the following DVD releases

2003 Live in Barcelona

2005 VH1 Storytellers

2005 Wings For Wheels

2005 Hammersmith Odeon London '75

2007 Live in Dublin

PLUS well over 600 band or solo shows (including around 115 in 2003 and 2004 the only years without a substantial release).

Thirty six years into his career and he's still performing narathon shows that are better thatn antyhing you are liable to ever see again and he's still releasing new work.

He has just finished up the decade (so far) with over 170 shows from 2008 to date.

GIVE THE MAN HIS DUE.

he's no craig finn but he may have a future if he stays focused.