3. Grizzly Bear-Veckatimest

4. Local Natives-Gorilla Manor

5. Metric-Fantasies

6. Great Lake Swimmers-Lost Channel

7. M. Ward-Hold Time

8. Doves-Kingdom of Rust

9. Dirty Projectors-Bitte Orca

10. Matt & Kim-Grand

funny thing about the latest Dylan... i enjoyed it quite a bit at first (as i'm sure i probably said somewhere on here), but i had little to no desire to revisit it at the end of this year, thus why it didn't get a mention from me.

as for WTA, i don't hate it, but obviously i didn't care for it enough to mention it either... in fact i forgot it even came out in 2009 :ohwell

Could it be that records that come out EARLY in the year are often brushed aside, forgotten, and appreciated less at the end of the year? I know this happens to me a lot when putting these lists together. I also forgot that the Wilco album was released this year. ;)

Could it be that records that come out EARLY in the year are often brushed aside, forgotten, and appreciated less at the end of the year? I know this happens to me a lot when putting these lists together. I also forgot that the Wilco album was released this year. ;)

considering my favorite album of 2009 is Face Control by Handsome Furs that came out in March but leaked the first week of January... :no

:thumbup

i first heard The Antlers album in February as well, it's held up insanely well for me.

Here's my breakdown of albums I have enjoyed (in no order):

Dan Deacon - Bromst

Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Lindstrom & Prins Thomas - II

Clark - Totems Flare

The Field - Yesterday & Today

Mos Def - The Ecstatic

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Heard tracks off and liked, but not heard the album:

The Antlers - Hospice

Califone - All My Friends Are Funeral Singers

Why? - Eskimo Snow

Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle

Dinosaur Jr. - Farm

Real Estate - Real Estate

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains

Girls - Album

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Beware

Junior Boys - Begone Dull Care

Dolphins of the Future - tapes

Ducktails - Landscapes

Atlas Sound - Logos

3 songs I have enjoyed:

Destroyer - Bay of Pigs

Hot Chip - Take It In

Yeasayer - Ambling Alp

My favorites from 2009, in no particular order:

Joe Henry - Blood From Stars

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

Cheap Star - Speaking Like An Elephant

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - s/t

Gary Louris & Mark Olson - Ready For The Flood

The Fiery Furnaces - I'm Going Away

Sara Watkins - s/t

Andrew Bird - Noble Beast

Califone - All My Friends Are Funeral Singers

Dinosaur Jr - Farm

Girls - Album

Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs

Superdrag - Industry Giants

Elvis Costello - Secret, Profane & Sugarcane

Black Crowes - Before The Frost

The Evening Rig - Is Doin' Stuff

Eels - Hombre Loco

Obits - I Blame You

Jarvis Cocker - Further Complications

The Shazam - Meteor

Espers - III

Stuff I somehow still haven't heard but really want to:

Rickie Lee Jones - Balm In Gilead

Grant Lee Phillips - Little Moon

Robyn Hitchcock - Goodnight Oslo

1.) Califone: All My Friends Are Funeral Singers

2.) Bill Callahan: Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle

3.) Grizzly Bear: Veckatimest

4.) Jim O'Rourke: The Visitor

5.) Why?: Eskimo Snow

6.) Antlers: Hospice

7.) Cornershop - Judy Sucks A Lemon For Breakfast (there you go Pop Todd).

8.) David Rawlings Machine - A Friend Of A Friend

9.) Woods - Songs Of Shame

10.) Eels-Hombre Lombo

Ton of stuff I haven't heard yet this year. Most of these records I got and pretty much lived inside for a few weeks and didn't bother getting anything else, which slowed my progress down quite a bit. As I always say I feel like I need an extra two years to really make a best of the year list, so I am now finally ready to go in the Best of 07 thread.

--Mike

it's about time you took me off "ignore"! :P

Don't know how I missed that.

Good pick, Joss! (And you too, mpolak!)

Don't know how I missed that.

Good pick, Joss! (And you too, mpolak!)

I took to that one a lot. I was quite happy to see them back in action, and I think that might be the only British album on my list this year.

--Mike

i LOVED Marry Me, but other than 3-4 songs, don't like Actor nearly as much (as evidenced by it's lack of mention in my EOY list)

Actor is certainly more impressive/ambitious musically, but the songs & melody from Marry Me just aren't quite there. Marrow is a barnburner tho

My favorites from 2009, in no particular order:

The Evening Rig - Is Doin' Stuff

:rock

I still haven't heard it, but I loved Marry Me.

--Mike

i LOVED Marry Me, but other than 3-4 songs, don't like Actor nearly as much (as evidenced by it's lack of mention in my EOY list)

Actor is certainly more impressive/ambitious musically, but the songs & melody from Marry Me just aren't quite there. Marrow is a barnburner tho

:rock

I zig where you zag: I'm digging Actor more, I think, because she's taking more chances here and being more discordant/ getting away from melody.

P.S. Kyle: Great to see Brakes and Twilight Sad so high on your list.

The Evening Rig made 3 EOY lists on Via Chicago. Look out world!!

Kyle - you see they are doing some wider touring early next year? I saw them in St Paul and was blown away by the lack of people there. They evidently have a tough time pulling a crowd in St Paul despite the popularity in Minneapolis? :stunned

The Evening Rig made 3 EOY lists on Via Chicago. Look out world!!

Kyle - you see they are doing some wider touring early next year? I saw them in St Paul and was blown away by the lack of people there. They evidently have a tough time pulling a crowd in St Paul despite the popularity in Minneapolis? :stunned

i know right?? it'll be on mjpuzcko's list too i'd imagine, so there's FOUR!

yeah, i did hear they're hoping to book a tour leading up to and following SXSW. here's hoping they're able to get hooked up with some good shows.

as far as the St. Paul show you saw... depends. i've seen them pack them in at the Turf, but they do best at the Triple Rock usually, depending on the bill. but on their own unfortunately they don't sell out too big of places here (yet). it's unfortunate, as they put on a killer live show too.

Iron & Wine's Around The Well was the "best" thing I heard this year, certainly the record that affected me most. It helped me through some rough times and I think it'll remain in my desert isle pile for a long time to come. It's hard to think of too many double albums with so many incredible, mesmerizing songs. The other thing that blows me away is that by the luck of crappy track naming, I've always listened to this album in the "wrong" sequence - and not only does it still hang together with complete integrity (in my wrong order), but it's generally really, really tough for me to sort the "demos" from the produced tracks. :blink

Two other records really exceeded the hype for me-- err, well, maybe not the hype but they exceeded my expectations:

Blue Rodeo, The Things We Left Behind. I like the new album a lot. I know these guys aren't breaking much new ground sonically, but as always, they stick to what they do well and they just do it really, really well. After all these years still an underrated group in my opinion.

Monsters Of Folk, s/t. Okay, exceeding the hype wasn't even a remotely achievable goal in this case. And sure they probably could have done better than this. But it hangs together really well overall, with Mogis underpinning everything, Oberst sounding more sweet and calm/assured than he ever has, M shining through with his gifts, and Yames doing what was needful by laying low and not overtly dominating the proceedings. I think this quartet has the potential to do a lot more good stuff. Some of the songs remind me of my favorite Wilco and Golden Smog tunes, so I don't find much to complain about here.

I left a lot of good music off, I could recommend 20 releases, but here is the best

1. Doves – Kingdom of Rust

2. Score! – Merge 20 Year Anniversary

3. Superchunk – Leaves in the Gutter/Crossed Wires/Blinders

4. Cribs – Ignore the Ignorant

5. Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca

6. Sunset Rubdown – Dragonslayer

7. Telekinesis – Telekinesis!

8. Polvo –In Prism

9. Bad Lieutenant – Never Cry Another Tear

10. Fanfarlo – Reservoir

Monsters Of Folk, s/t. Okay, exceeding the hype wasn't even a remotely achievable goal in this case. And sure they probably could have done better than this. But it hangs together really well overall, with Mogis underpinning everything, Oberst sounding more sweet and calm/assured than he ever has, M shining through with his gifts, and Yames doing what was needful by laying low and not overtly dominating the proceedings. I think this quartet has the potential to do a lot more good stuff. Some of the songs remind me of my favorite Wilco and Golden Smog tunes, so I don't find much to complain about here.

This one should honestly be higher on my list: I play a lot and enjoy it from start to finish. It's probably one of my top 3 most listened to albums this year.

1. Embryonic - The Flaming Lips

2. Ready For the Flood - Olson/Louris

3. To Be Still - Alela Diane

4. Yonder Is the Clock - The Felice Brothers

5. Middle Cyclone - Neko Case

6. Merriwether Post Pavillion - Animal Collective

7. Listen to the Thunder - The Maldives

8. Hymn to the Immortal Wind - Mono

9. Yours Truly the Commuter - Jason Lytle

10. Bitte Orca - The Dirty Projectors