As long as we're on the subject...

i don't really like guitar solos (that prince one included), i'd rather have a great riff. if there needs to be a solo it needs to be fast, and make you wish there was more.

matchbox (1.57 is when the magic starts)

Great call jossack. Carl Perkins is the fucking man.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Love for Allman Brothers....Blue Sky or Liz Reed.

I was going to say Blue Sky, but then I decided I'd only name one solo in this thread.

But then I changed my mind and started naming a bunch of other solos and forgot to mention Blue Sky. :stunned

another one worthy of consideration is "Kid Charlemagne" by Steely Dan (Larry Carlton).

That's another one that popped to mind for me too.

Brian May - "We Will Rock You"

I wouldn't say it's the best solo ever but it's definitely one of the greatest in my book. I love how there are no chords behind it, just the famous stomp.

Oops, I meant "We Will Rock You", not Rhapsody.. It was 7:30 in the morning.. Edited. :blush

I'm still going with Machine Gun but another one worthy of consideration is "Kid Charlemagne" by Steely Dan (Larry Carlton).

absolutely. that one smokes.

my favorite has to be from "Last Days of May," the live version off On Your Feet Or On Your Knees from Blue Oyster Cult. Buck Dharma's got a lot of killer solos, and that is one for the ages.

There are many great solos.

However one of my personal alltime favorites is on an album called The Jimi Hendrix Concerts. It's on the live version of "Are You Experienced". This is a solo wherein Hendrix earned his reputation as "mutant guitar god from some other planet" for me...an ingenius mixture of feedback, echo, melody, and whammy bar greatness. I've never heard another solo quite like it.

Jimmy Page - "The Rover"?

• 2 years later...

Was listening to "Easy" by the Commodores earlier on. Such a great solo, so simple but every note is perfect (starts at 2:48 in the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UHfu4w7jS8

So good I had to pick up my guitar and learn it.