Nels Cline Singers

I take this to mean it was sold out?

I'm glad it sold out, but I'm kind of surprised since it was not advertised very well. Sorry you couldn't get in.

yeah, sold out. wish he would come and play a theater or something with some promotion.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, sold out. wish he would come and play a theater or something with some promotion.

The place he played in Athens was similar in size to the Five Spot. I think he sold out two nights in Athens.

I think Eyedrum would be a good venue for the type of music Bill Frisell does. Nels might be a little too loud to play there, though. Nels has always played rock venues when he comes to town.

Just bought tickets for the Singers at LPR here in New York City this summer, im really excited! Im not sure if im going to the Solid Sound fest, and the singers don't come through as often as Wilco does, so im really pumped, this is my only opportunity for a while to see them.

A nice review of Initiate from Paste here.

I've been playing the first disc sparingly, afraid I'm going to burn out on it, but it seems to get better with every listen. It's so richly layered, and I really love how they all get their own moments to shine. The production and mixing are really top-notch, too--this album seems to have a fuller, more dynamic sound than any of their other albums.

Check out the email I just got from Jeff Gauthier/Cryptogramophone:

"Dear Jeffrey,

Congratulations. Nels Cline , sitting in his hotel room in Aukland New Zealand surrounded by strange furry beasts, pointed at the screen and chose YOUR NAME out of the 20 or so correct answers to our absurdly simple question. This means YOU WIN one of each of Nels’ titles on Cryptogramophone, a T-shirt AND a Tote bag!

Please send us your full name, address, and T-shirt size and we’ll get these items off to you early next week.

Thanks for playing along with us. Come back to www.crypto.tv and visit us again.

Crypto"

:dancing :music :thumbup :rock :D

Just one question out of curiosity: Does Nels do the singing heard in the background of some of the songs on Initiate, such as Divining or Zingiber?

Yep.

Incidentally, it looks like Nels has scheduled a "seminar" where he'll talk about "music, guitars and life" at the Stone in NYC on July 19! Should be a great one. As many of us know, Nels certainly can talk when he wants to. :thumbup

"STONE SEMINAR 29" w/ NELS CLINE

$20 : All Ages

THE STONE : Northwest corner of Avenue C and 2nd Street

from what i heard, it was experimental noise. i was gonna go, but changed my mind at the last minute

yep, experimental noise is a good description.

Bennett's lane is a really small venue and we manage to snag some seats pretty close to the stage. I'm not too familiar with either Nels or Glenns work outside of Wilco, but it was basically an hour of experimental music. There was alot of strange noise making, lots of cool guitar effects, and Glenn had a pretty interesting set-up which included some amplified springs/ropes & also some hand clappers!! Nels had this really cool kazoo type thing that he played over the pickups of his guitar to amplify the sound, and played his guitar by tapping on the back of the neck which produced a really nice sound.

Was a really great show, not something i'd listen to everyday though..

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to listening to these two disks the other day. Great stuff. I particularly like the packaging for these CDs. Can anyone tell me if the round electronic thingees that are part of the graphics are real devices or imaginary ones?

The live material is good, but seems a bit under recorded. I really like Thurston Country.

LouieB

Just found out they are playing in Denver the end of June at a restaurant, Date night with the wife! Have to admit I have not checked out the new one yet but I will.

Well yes it IS huge...thanks.

Is it credited on the CD case? I didn't see anything? Really great photos. At first I thought it was some part of Nel's equipment.

LouieB

Yeah, it's credited:

color photography of the large hadron collider @ cern by simon norfolk

It does look pretty cool.

This is my first Nels Cline Singers I purchased (for some reason)- definitely interesting.

I got my prize pack in the mail last week! The Singers shirt is kind of bizarre, in a good way, and the tote bag is going to be super handy. I already had all the cds, so I'll have to figure out what would be the best thing to do with my duplicate copies.

Yeah, it's credited:

It does look pretty cool.

This is my first Nels Cline Singers I purchased (for some reason)- definitely interesting.

Thanks for proving I am illiterate.... :lol

I would suggest his first, Intrumentals. All of them are good and fairly similar to this one.

LouieB