Not true. In fact he has mused that another infusion will be necessary.

On the subject of "borrowing money and not having to work for it," can we consider on whose watch the sub-prime debacle happened. A look at the Dow Jones over the past decade shows a collapse and a rebound to pre-Bush administration levels.

Obama is blamed for not sorting out the banks, but first he had to sort out the financial problem.

I'm not saying he's better than pre-packaged cheese but don't pin stuff on him that isn't true, and don't lay 41 bodies at his feet whose only sign of life is "no" and then say he isn't getting anything done.

The politics of no is cozy, but it's as wrong as it was over the six years it the GOP administration and the GOP-led Congress dumped us in the mess we're in.

What???

All I am saying is that if you borrow money to pay for all your mistakes, then of course it's going to fix things temporarily. Not trying to put blame on anything or say one party is better than the other.

My point is nothing is really fixed. We just borrowed our way out of things for a bit. The underlying problem is still there and getting worse.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What???

All I am saying is that if you borrow money to pay for all your mistakes, then of course it's going to fix things temporarily. Not trying to put blame on anything or say one party is better than the other.

My point is nothing is really fixed. We just borrowed our way out of things for a bit. The underlying problem is still there and getting worse.

That's true, but the underlying problem, to me, comes down to status quo of no regulatory oversight (GOP = good) or protecting people through regulatory oversight (GOP = bad). If we don't fix the problem, $ is the only option.

In terms of borrowing money, how did all the $$ Bush borrow finish off the War On Terror?

Sorry. You're right. Party shouldn't enter into it. But it appears today one party is getting bashed by a party that is not offering any alternatives, just criticism (true and bogus criticism at that).

What is the way out, in your mind?

That's true, but the underlying problem, to me, comes down to status quo of no regulatory oversight (GOP = good) or protecting people through regulatory oversight (GOP = bad). If we don't fix the problem, $ is the only option.

In terms of borrowing money, how did all the $$ Bush borrow finish off the War On Terror?

Sorry. You're right. Party shouldn't enter into it. But it appears today one party is getting bashed by a party that is not offering any alternatives, just criticism (true and bogus criticism at that).

What is the way out, in your mind?

I think people get too carried away with Dems vs. GOPs It's a pissing contest and its getting in the way of real progress.

There is so much that needs to change but a main thing is that we shouldn't borrow or print anymore money. No more bailouts. Companies that lose money need to fail. We also need drastic cuts in govt spending.

All of which regardless of party, our govt is not capable of doing.

I think people get too carried away with Dems vs. GOPs It's a pissing contest and its getting in the way of real progress.

There is so much that needs to change but a main thing is that we shouldn't borrow or print anymore money. No more bailouts. Companies that lose money need to fail. We also need drastic cuts in govt spending.

All of which regardless of party, our govt is not capable of doing.

That debate was raised at the beginning the bank bailout, and the automaker bailout. If no bailout = collapse, there needs to be a plan B to the no bailout plan.

I think people hoped that Obama would be above the divisiveness. Bush and the neo-cons were going to be above the divisiveness. (Reagan was all about the divisiveness -- j/k).

The major stumbling blocks in government right now is one party is refusing to do anything and the other party is fumbling on its own.

That debate was raised at the beginning the bank bailout, and the automaker bailout. If no bailout = collapse, there needs to be a plan B to the no bailout plan.

I think people hoped that Obama would be above the divisiveness. Bush and the neo-cons were going to be above the divisiveness. (Reagan was all about the divisiveness -- j/k).

The major stumbling blocks in government right now is one party is refusing to do anything and the other party is fumbling on its own.

To me,

bailout = Complete collapse

no bailout = Some collapse

The fact is there needs to be huge correction in our economy and govt is not letting it happen, because no one wants to tell America the truth.

To me,

bailout = Complete collapse

no bailout = Some collapse

The fact is there needs to be huge correction in our economy and govt is not letting it happen, because no one wants to tell America the truth.

When did the collapse happen? Were there economists who didn't believe we were heading towards collapse without some sort of bailout? That seemed one of the rare things anyone could agree on. I may be deluded, but I'm glad we didn't find out

no bailout = ?

I think everyone agreed that without a bailout there will be significant damage. The complete collapse is in our future.

Therefore RIP America is the title.

"Correction" = socializing losses via layoffs/recesssion/etc while profiteering fatcats count their dough.

That's what we got anyway, via the TARP, and nothing's been done to correct the actual problem that caused the collapse.

So, two sides are arguing about the same basic outcome and ignoring the problem. Typical.

Rolling Stone (whom, I readily admit, is part of the mainstream media - which is to say, in bed with the NWO crowd) features a new, pretty fucking great rant by Matt Taibbi:

Wall Street's Bailout Hustle

Goldman Sachs and other big banks aren't just pocketing the trillions we gave them to rescue the economy - they're re-creating the conditions for another crash

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/32255149/wall_streets_bailout_hustle/print

Rolling Stone's political coverage is fucking awful.

I would say it's pretty damn good over all. Matt Taibbi is fantastic. Before that they had William Greider, PJ O Rourke, Hunter Thompson. Not a bad track record for a music magazine.

I'm all too familiar with Bayh, and I think I can say with some certainty that he just never seemed real comfortable being in the Democratic Party. Especially being from Indiana.

Now like I said I'm not going to be real sad when he's gone, but the thing that rubs me wrong is the way he went about this. He announced at 2 PM yesterday, and at noon today anyone who wanted to be a candidate had to file (with 4500 signatures). Everyone assumed he'd be the guy. So now there will be no primary for the Dems.

It's like he slapping us in the face on his way out the door.

John Mellencamp For Senate? (Huffington Post)

INDIANAPOLIS — An online effort to draft Hoosier rocker John Mellencamp to run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Indiana's Democratic Sen. Evan Bayh is building up steam.

Twitter is abuzz with the rumor and three separate Facebook groups have been set up, with the largest boasting about 2,000 members.

Mellencamp is no stranger to politics. In 2008, he recorded a radio commercial supporting Barack Obama's presidential campaign and requested that Republican candidate John McCain stop playing his songs, including "Our Country" and "Pink Houses," at his rallies.

Mellencamp's songs often have political or social themes. He is a co-founder of Farm Aid.

On Thursday, Mellencamp spokesman Bob Merlis said the musician "has no statement to offer."

Yeah, I saw that. Birch Bayh's former chief of staff was on the tv last night saying all kinds of nice things about JM, but I'd be stunned if he decided to do it.

Guest Speed Racer

isn't the Senate chamber non-smoking?

never gonna happen

:lol I was gonna post the same thing earlier. He'd need about 10 nicotine patches a day, and would die in the event of a filibuster.

Senator Cougar....yea, now we are talking....

Actually this sounds like the wackiest idea yet....then again.

LouieB

"With all due respect to my distinguished friend from Kentucky - you just made that story up, there ain't no girl like that"

:stunned

• 2 weeks later...

I simply can't wait for a Palin candidacy, with or without the corporate/facsist backing. Okay so those of us on the left are "deeply disappointed" by Obama, well given the only choice there will be in two years (yea it is going to be THAT soon) it may give everyone a chance to pause once again and figure out that Obama and the wimpy Dems, who are the real problem at the moment and aren't going to be looking so bad. Sure, Obama and the so called Democratic majority hasn't exactly bowled us over, but just wait. Remember it was not those Supreme Court members nominated by the Democratic administrations that brought us corporate personhood so they can buy unlimited amounts of campaign ads.

LouieB

Palin: Health summit would have been better with beer

Funny title - but later on she says:

In the same interview, Palin had a message for tea party protesters who are considering starting a third party to run against Republicans. "Now a simple answer to a challenge we face today with the tea party movement -- and I believe that I'm a part of that because I'm such a believe in freedom and that's what the tea party is all about -- a simple answer to the challenge that they face and not knowing kind of where we belong right now is to essentially pick a party because we are a two party system," said Palin.

"It's a heck of a lot easier to get in there and reform one of the parties and get the people in the party to understand what has built this great country and what will allow for a brighter future for this great country than it is to form a whole new machine and a whole new process via a third party," the former governor continued.

it was a joke. she commented on how the summit included a lot of political posturing, and laughed as she stated that perhaps the beer summit was more productive.

I guess vc is on a roll with these. first the senator supposedly "justified" the attack on the IRS, and now Palin supports a booze-fueled health care summit. what a load of shit.

the second part, about the tea party/republican party, isn't in the clip on the site

They should get the religious right in there again, along with The Tea Party. Fun Times.

Palin Says Republican Party Should Absorb the Tea Party (CBS News)

During a Q&A after her speech, Palin was asked about the future of the Tea Party movement. "The Republican party would be smart to absorb as much of the Tea Party as possible. The Tea Party is the future of politics. It is shaping the way of politics in the future."

Palin: GOP Would Be 'Smart' To Absorb Tea Party Principles (Fox Business)

Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, who made history as the first woman to win the Republican vice presidential nomination in 2008, told the inaugural "Tea Party" convention Saturday night her party would be "really smart" to "absorb" the fiscally conservative principles of their movement.

WATCH: Palin Urges GOP-Tea Party Merger, Re-Commits To Convention (Huffington Post)

Asked by Van Susteren whether she thinks the Republican Party would be best served by merging with the tea party movement, Palin replied with an enthusiastic endorsement of the idea.

"They need to merge," she said. "Definitely, they need to merge. I think those who are wanting the divisions and the divisiveness and the controversy -- those are the ones who don't believe in the message. And they're the ones, I think, stirring it up. We need to ignore that and we need to forge ahead with a cohesive message. It's a common sense message. It, again, is, Government, limit yourself so that the private sector, our families, free individuals can grow and thrive and prosper and enjoy America's freedom!"

I guess vc is on a roll with these. first the senator supposedly "justified" the attack on the IRS, and now Palin supports a booze-fueled health care summit. what a load of shit.

The article I linked used the word “justified”, no one here echoed that sentiment. I was simply amazed that a congressman would express such ambivalent feelings towards the IRS in response to a question having to do with some asshat flying a plane into the building with the expressed purpose of taking lives. It has also been reported that at the CPAC convention, King “empathized” with Stack, and encouraged folks to “implode” other IRS offices – the sort of talk and language that would send the entire right wing into a spastic conniption clusterfuck outraged shit fit if a democrat, or worse, a LIBRUWL, even hinted at expressing a similar statement, or maybe even just dreaming about someone dreaming about making such a statement.

But then King is a useless piece of shit, so there’s also that. It would be hysterical if the future of our country wasn't riding on the backs of these douche bags, but it is, and so not so funny anymore.