Wilco - The National - Richmond, VA 3/29/10

Here's a question for someone. What other songs are left that have never been played live by the full band? I can think of Solitaire off the top of my head. I'm sure they're mostly b-sides at this point. The only possibilities since the residency are stray Mermaid Avenue songs, b-sides, and ... Solitaire.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Solitaire would be great to hear in the stripped-down set. Maybe ... in Montclair?

Yeah, it's mostly Mermaid Avenue stuff.

Feed Of Man

Secret Of The Sea

Joe DiMaggio's Done It Again

More Like The Moon (not with this lineup)

Woodgrain

One True Vine

Glad It's Over

Solitaire

Dark Neon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last night, after finally being able to score a ticket (thanks, Scott!) and what a show it was. I'm so glad everyone has posted setlists--I get so into the moment at Wilco shows that I don't remember anything but feeling overwhelmed with joy. I'd love it if someone was taping the show, just to relive it a little. The National is definitely a great place for hearing live music, and the perfect venue for Wilco. Big enough to get that crowd energy going but intimate as well. And let's not forget the fact that it's general admission, so no sitting allowed (on the floor, at least)! I kind of thought the boys worked extra hard last night to win the crowd over. Richmond is not naturally the most "happening" place around, and there seemed to be a fair number of people--at least up close on the floor--who weren't totally familiar with every song (a little stumbling on the lyrics to the singalong on Jesus, Etc., for instance), so it seemed to me that the band took it as a bit of a challenge to put on an even more amazing show than usual on this tour. Whastever the reason, it was truly an unforgettable night. My 4th Wilco show, and the best yet. (Second best was at the Norva around 2004). And to my dancing buddies, whoever you are (young cute guy, young blond girl, curly grey haired guy about my age), thanks for the great energy and fun. Loved it!

I've seen them do Feed of Man twice in '08.

Are you sure you don't mean Blood Of The Lamb?

I know they did that a lot with the Total Pros.

Yeah, the last time for Feed Of Man was Jay Bennett's last show on July 4, 2001.

Just wanted to add that it was so great to hear "Thank You Friends". I had a conversation with a friend about how I thought Wilco might start covering a Chilton song as a tribute, and that is one of my favorites.

Just a great, great show. Come back sooner than 13 years please! It was pretty nice being able to get to and from the show in 5 minutes.

I think Wilco's version of "Thank You Friends" is very well played. However; Chilton was being VERY sarcastic when he wrote that one. Bookending the show with "Wilco (The Song)" is either terribly ironic or very clever.

And by the way, from the recordings I have heard of this leg of the tour, I must say I have never heard Jeff is such fine voice. He is REALLY good these days.

I think Wilco's version of "Thank You Friends" is very well played. However; Chilton was being VERY sarcastic when he wrote that one. Bookending the show with "Wilco (The Song)" is either terribly ironic or very clever.

And by the way, from the recordings I have heard of this leg of the tour, I must say I have never heard Jeff is such fine voice. He is REALLY good these days.

"Thank You Friends" is certainly one of the most sarcastic/meanest songs I've heard. That's what I love about it. Considering Jeff's comments regarding the chatty portion of the crowd, I'd say ending the main set with that made perfect sense. Anyways I was just glad to hear that be the Chilton song they chose to cover.

The acoustic segue was flawless in Richmond. As Poor Places crumbled into noise, the crew brought out a new drum set, some acoustic guitars, Jeff's upright bass, and two keyboards, and they got that set going without missing a beat. Same thing when it ended. Segued perfectly into Misunderstood. Don't know how, but it worked.

It was flawless into and out of the acoustic set....John layed down a heavy bass line from open to close. Jeff's voice was stellar, Glen is the man and I thought Nels was a little subdued. All in all the energy and performance was truly spectacular. What other band can play three hours without a break? Wilco rocks and they rocked Richmond hard. I loved it all and Theologians and Ashes of American Flags haven't stopped playing in my head.

Did anyone who got a poster from last night care to upload a picture and share with us? I was unable to get a poster, I went to the merch table right as they were setting up Spiders (Kidsmoke) and the dude said they were all out. He also said they only had about 80 or so and he said they were #/175 so they might be selling more on the online store soon. Id just like to get a look at the poster so I can recognize it when it does show up in the store. Also I was able to snag Tweedy's setlist, I'll upload a photo of it, incase you guys wanted to see it. Incredible show!!!

Excellent show...my wife and i had the time of our lives...

Dinner for 2 at Millies isn't bad either....I'm glad Glen likes shake it off too.

Hey Jeff! :cheers

I forgot to ask Sherri (sorry if I'm butchering the spelling) if last night's show topped Stone Temple Pilots? :lol

Yeah, it's mostly Mermaid Avenue stuff.

Feed Of Man

Secret Of The Sea

Joe DiMaggio's Done It Again

More Like The Moon (not with this lineup)

Woodgrain

One True Vine

Glad It's Over

Solitaire

Dark Neon

Fwiw, the entity known as Wilco used to do Secret of the Sea a fair amount back in the day -- I'm pretty sure that was the song they did on Letterman or one of the talk shows when Jay had on that legendary fur coat -- but it looks like not since 2000. So obviously not with the current lineup.

Guest Jules

FWIW, they've done Secret of the Sea before -- pretty sure that was the song they did on Letterman or one of the talk shows when Jay had on that legendary fur coat -- but I think not with this lineup.

Fwiw, the entity known as Wilco used to do Secret of the Sea a fair amount back in the day -- I'm pretty sure that was the song they did on Letterman or one of the talk shows when Jay had on that legendary fur coat -- but it looks like not since 2000. So obviously not with the current lineup.

I remembered that, but I thought that Brianne was looking for the current lineup. :thumbup

I bet that we'll hear that in a stripped down way before this An Evening With tour finishes up.

Excellent show...my wife and i had the time of our lives...

Dinner for 2 at Millies isn't bad either....I'm glad Glen likes shake it off too.

I got the gift cert at Gibson's, though originally advertised by Senor Tweedy as Applebee's because of my proximity to the dimwit with his iPhone held high. It would have been enough just to hear "How to Fight Loneliness" . . . this is gravy.

I remembered that, but I thought that Brianne was looking for the current lineup. :thumbup

I bet that we'll hear that in a stripped down way before this An Evening With tour finishes up.

Yeah, I guess what she was looking for was what hasn't been played by this lineup. So you guys have it right on the songs that haven't been played by this incarnation of the group, I would say. It's a few stray Mermaid Ave. songs, some B-sides and Solitaire, I think.

And I certainly wouldn't mind if we got Secret of the Sea before this "Evening With..." run finishes up. It was one of my requests at Jeff's recent Vic solo shows! :thumbup

Actually, I had been wondering what Wilco had never played as a band, period. (Like "Some Day Some Morning Sometime.") But thanks to you guys I have both categories broken down! So basically, all that's left that's never been played are some b-sides and "Solitaire."

Sounds like an overall fun show. I honestly cannot believe how many songs they've been playing. I hope none of the band members keel over mid-set before the tour is over. Or after the tour is over, either, but you know what I mean.

great show. for over 10 years I have wanted wilco to really open up & extend their shows but I never actually thought I would see a 3 hour wilco show.... that wait is now over! the problem is now I'm so spoiled I don't care if I ever see wilco tour with another opener. Make it all "evening with" shows!

if you haven't seen the link yet, my torrent is up at etree:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=533920

Wilco

March 29, 2010

The National

Richmond, VA

**16 bit source**

Source: B&K4022(ortf) > Sonosax > 744T

Transfer: 744T>soundforge 7.0 (fades)>cd wave>wavelab (resampling/UV22)>flac

Taped & transferred by: Craig Davis

One Set

Disc One:

01 Intro/The Price Is Right

02 Wilco (the song)

03 I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

04 Bull Black Nova

05 You Are My Face

06 One Wing

07 A Shot in the Arm

08 Shake It Off

09 I'll Fight

10 Company In My Back

11 Handshake Drugs

12 Side With The Seeds

13 Deeper Down

14 Impossible Germany

Disc Two:

01 Poor Places >

*change into acoustic set*

02 Spiders (Kidsmoke)

03 She's A Jar

04 Banter: gift certificates

05 Forget The Flowers

06 Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

07 Not for the Season

08 How To Fight Loneliness

09 California Stars

10 Passenger Side

11 Outta Mind (Outta Sight) >

*change out of acoustic set*

12 Misunderstood

Disc Three:

01 Can't Stand It

02 Jesus, etc. (crowd singalong)

03 Ashes of American Flags

04 You Never Know

05 Hate It Here

06 Theologians

07 Walken

08 I'm The Man Who Loves You

09 Monday

10 Thank You Friends^

Encore:

11 Heavy Metal Drummer

12 I'm A Wheel

notes:

^ Big Star cover, dedicated to Alex Chilton

I was standing up front, right in front of Nels...and i met this guy who could tell me what song they were going to play by the instruments they brought onstage...i was amazed and he was dead on every time...pretty cool.

Oh...and my wife is a total wilco fan now...and just to give everyone an idea about the kind of show we saw that night..a good friend of mine who is an avid taper, not just of wilco but all kinds of bands...his exact words were.....best show i have ever ssen in this room!! and he's seen plenty.

Oh and bbop thanks for the beer and enjoy the rest of the tour.

if anyone knows how i can get a wilco richmond poster or has an extra they want to sell let me know...

Tweedy's haircut makes him look like Kramer. And that coat is wearing Jay.