Wilco - The National - Richmond, VA 3/29/10

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is an avid taper, not just of wilco but all kinds of bands...his exact words were.....best show i have ever ssen in this room!! and he's seen plenty.

who is your friend? I have seen & taped probably 40 shows in the National since it opened and it was without a doubt the best sound I have ever heard in there with Spoon from last week, the Decemberists and Trey Anastasio Band being next.

who is your friend? I have seen & taped probably 40 shows in the National since it opened and it was without a doubt the best sound I have ever heard in there with Spoon from last week, the Decemberists and Trey Anastasio Band being next.

your friend and mine...lynzzz...

also got your torrent of the show...excellent..

great show. for over 10 years I have wanted wilco to really open up & extend their shows but I never actually thought I would see a 3 hour wilco show.... that wait is now over! the problem is now I'm so spoiled I don't care if I ever see wilco tour with another opener. Make it all "evening with" shows!

if you haven't seen the link yet, my torrent is up at etree:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=533920

Wilco

March 29, 2010

The National

Richmond, VA

I haven't been downloading much lately, but with the way people are talking about these recent shows, I might just dive right back in with this one. Thanks!

You may not remember me, but we met a few years back at a rainy opening of a Harley Davidson dealership with DBT playing under a tent...

I remember we were talking about Wilco shows back then...

I also saw the exchange you were having with security and the Nationals management while I was standing in the will call line, about being to bring your gear inside...excellent work out of you.. At first it looked like there was no way they were going to allow you to bring it in..but i was amazed how you stood your ground and convinced them that you and your gear would be totally out of the way. Thank god you were there to tape it.

You may not remember me, but we met a few years back at a rainy opening of a Harley Davidson dealership with DBT playing under a tent...

I also saw the exchange you were having with security and the Nationals management while I was standing in the will call line, about being to bring your gear inside...excellent work out of you.. At first it looked like there was no way they were going to allow you to bring it in..but i was amazed how you stood your ground and convinced them that you and your gear would be totally out of the way. Thank god you were there to tape it.

true dat!

The acoustic segue was flawless in Richmond. As Poor Places crumbled into noise, the crew brought out a new drum set, some acoustic guitars, Jeff's upright bass, and two keyboards, and they got that set going without missing a beat. Same thing when it ended. Segued perfectly into Misunderstood. Don't know how, but it worked.

saw both Richmond and Bethesda the next night and the acoustic set and the segue into and out of was sweet both times, with different songs in Bethesda - Reservations into Spiders (which is so cool acoustic! who'da thunk?) and Passenger Side last acoustic into Airline to Heaven electric.

Highlight for me of the acoustic set at Richmond was How to Fight Loneliness, it was sublime, kind of a bossa nova vibe.

saw both Richmond and Bethesda the next night and the acoustic set and the segue into and out of was sweet both times, with different songs in Bethesda - Reservations into Spiders (which is so cool acoustic! who'da thunk?) and Passenger Side last acoustic into Airline to Heaven electric.

Highlight for me of the acoustic set at Richmond was How to Fight Loneliness, it was sublime, kind of a bossa nova vibe.

Actually, the Spiders you heard at Richmond was pretty close to the original version of the song, which was first played live in 2001 and featured prominently in Wilco's sets in 2002. It was the first song played at my first Wilco concert, 10/14/02 at the 9:30 club. Check out http://wilcoarchive.com/wilco%2020020427/ for what is pretty widely considered one of the best recorded instances of the original version, from 04/27/02.

Agreed that How to Fight Loneliness was sublime in Richmond. It was my 10th Wilco show (12th, counting Jeff Tweedy solo shows), but only the first time I've seen them play it. I loved every second.

"Thank You Friends" is certainly one of the most sarcastic/meanest songs I've heard. That's what I love about it. Considering Jeff's comments regarding the chatty portion of the crowd, I'd say ending the main set with that made perfect sense. Anyways I was just glad to hear that be the Chilton song they chose to cover.

OK, I'm a total dunce when it comes to understanding anything more than the most basic lyric. Anything more subtle than say, Birthday by the Beatles, leaves me stumped. So please be gentle with me when I ask what is sarcastic/mean about that song? Me no understand.

Thank you, friends

Wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you

I'm so grateful for all the things you helped me do.

All the ladies and gentlemen

Who made this all so probable

Thank you, friends

I rejoice to the skies

Dear ones like you do the best i do

As far as can see my eyes

Without my friends i got chaos

I'm often a bead of light.

Without my friends i'd be swept up high by the wind

Do, do.......

All the ladies and gentlemen (i said all)

All the ladies and gentlemen (i said all)

Thank you friends (thank you again)

Dear, dear friends (thank you again)

And again, and again....

Never too late to start

One thing missing at the National was the backdrop used on tour. It creates a lot of depth to the stage and was sorry it wasn't used. Speaking to the light guy he mentioned they all had to scale back due to stage size etc. Has it not been used anywhere else? Maybe tonight in NJ?

well I'd have to see you or your name to know if I remembered YOU but I do remember that Drive-By Truckers show at the Harley dealership. They played an afternoon set there & then a night show at Alley Katz. We had a blast.

Funny you caught my exchange with Bill Reid. He fronts the ownership group for the Norva in Norfolk & the National and as long as I've been taping he's been giving tapers shit, although it usually gets worked out. When the National first opened we worked out with him where the taping spot would be etc... and as I was walking by to get in the will call line I just as a stroke of luck happened to at that moment heard him tell the doorman no stands could be brought in which in a GA standing show essentially rules out taping. Its not the 1st time we have had a similar exchange and it usually ends the same way...with me calmly persisting, him ultimately relenting but telling me to make sure all the tapers follow the rules and threatening to personally throw me out of the show if anyone goes beyond what we agreed to :D

Actually, the Spiders you heard at Richmond was pretty close to the original version of the song, which was first played live in 2001 and featured prominently in Wilco's sets in 2002. It was the first song played at my first Wilco concert, 10/14/02 at the 9:30 club. Check out http://wilcoarchive.com/wilco%2020020427/ for what is pretty widely considered one of the best recorded instances of the original version, from 04/27/02.

I'm so glad they brought it back in the original form. I liked the Krautrock version but never as much as the original organic sound.

My personal favorite version of the original arrangement is 9/2/02 Bumbershoot, Seattle:

1. Spiders (Kidsmoke)

2. I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

3. War On War

4. Kamera

5. Sunken Treasure

6. A Shot In The Arm

7. How To Fight Loneliness

8. Heavy Metal Drummer

9. I'm The Man Who Loves You

10. Jesus, Etc. Jesus, Etc.

11. I'm Always In Love

12. Red-Eyed And Blue

13. I Got You (At The End Of The Century)

14. Less Than You Think

15. California Stars

16. Misunderstood

17. Far, Far Away

18. Hesitating Beauty

19. I'm A Wheel

20. Outta Mind (Outta Sight)

There was a great warm sbd that circulated back in the day. personally not a fan of those "wolf remaster" versions but you can get the shn copy at owl & bear:

http://wilcoarchive.com/wilco%2020020902/

I don't have too much to add, other than to say there were lots and lots of pics being taken around me. I could've sworn at one point Jeff stared down a guy in front of me who was one of the culprits but it didn't seem to phase the guy. Oh and also, I must have some sort of tall guy radar because near the end of the show, some really tall dude walks up and stands right in front of me. So, tall dude, if you post here, thanks!

I don't have too much to add, other than to say there were lots and lots of pics being taken around me. I could've sworn at one point Jeff stared down a guy in front of me who was one of the culprits but it didn't seem to phase the guy.

I saw this too (from up in the balcony). My buddy was down on the floor and said that this guy had a photo pass. If we're talking about the same guy that is. The guy I'm talking about held up a huge square camera and aimed it right at Jeff. Jeff stared down at him and pulled back and fluffed his hair and almost seemed to pose for him. He then said, "I'm watching you" and then when back into the song. Through the whole episode, Jeff looked a little angry or intimidating, but since he didn't have the guy thrown out, I figured he was just playing with a legit photographer.

Also, I never realized how long and thick Jeff's hair was. Does that make me weird? :)

Nice! Were you the dude with the big square camera.....about the size and shape of a toaster? Did you have a photo pass?

No, my camera has heft but is not square nor does it cook toast. I did have a pass though. That sounds like a view camera, but I didn't see anyone there with any sort of 'real' camera other than a press guy at the very beginning.

charles

No, my camera has heft but is not square nor does it cook toast. I did have a pass though. That sounds like a view camera, but I didn't see anyone there with any sort of 'real' camera other than a press guy at the very beginning.

charles

It might have been an old Polaroid Land Camera-- the kind with the wicked long bellows. A view camera would be pretty much useless without a tripod, unless they were somehow able to finagle one inside.

Great photos as always, Charles.

Kevin

wilco_richmond_995.jpg

Sweet Photographs of the Wilco....Do you have anymore from the show in Richmond? I browsed your on-line portfolio...you are truly talented. Many portraits of Jeff and company and up close!! I assume you got the chance to get to know Jeff a little...how was that?