I like the cranky remarks. I wish someone would make a compilation of them. And I'm serious, I love when he's cantankerous. It means the ass-hats are about to be put on notice.

On a side note, the strangest thing I ever saw at a Wilco show was at one of the show in Denver in 2007. They were playing Jesus, Etc. and this guy who was against the barrier was "acting" out the lyrics while directly in front of Jeff. I was watching Jeff watch the guy, and Jeff didn't know what to think.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back and listened to the Richmond show and to me, he doesn't seem cranky or mad. In fact, I laughed when I heard his comments. Most of the stuff he says cracks me up. I hear it with a touch of sarcasm in his voice, not real anger.

Interesting discussion. Times have changed. You know this when you listen to the old Pink Floyd audience recordings where you can hear a pin drop except for the applause between songs.... Every band message board I read has the same discussion: some of the 'fans' suck for some reason or another. The major complaint is talking. It sucks, it's a reality, lead by example, don't get too drunk, get up front.

In Providence on Sunday, I was fortunate to be able to get up close (love that they do GA shows), and for the second half, after some folks got too heated up and left and made some space, I was on the rail. What a treat. And what a different experience it was being that close. The band, esp Tweedy, is paying attention to what is happening out in front, feeding off whatever energy is being displayed, responding to things the audience is saying or doing, making eye contact, reacting, performing to the stimulus he sees and feels. Whatever people are calling 'crankiness' comes across to me as Tweedy engaging the audience. 20 or so rows back, I've never felt engaged by him in the same way.

Warning: Anecdote. During the jesus etc. singalong, which he introduced as the 'official song of easter' ... actually not a singalong, because he's given this song away to his fans by letting them sing nearly the ENTIRE song without his accompaniment, just like he says in What Light "what was yours is everyone's from now on" ... a woman standing next to me who knew all the words (and if you're reading this I mean no disrespect) sang loudly and clearly and just slightly out of key. Jeff heard her, gave her most of the song, waited for the third chorus or so, looked directly at her and shushed her, putting his index finger up to his lips with a big smile ... the woman just melted in embarrassed joy. Quite a moment.

This is what I mean by engagement. They're listening too. There's no show without the audience.

I just heard the Richmond show and I can understand ALL the bad reactions of the band:people don´t stop to chat :angry

I´m not Irish,and don´t know Dubliner crowds,in Spain,it´s impossible something like that,at least in a Wilco show,or similar.

Seriously,WHY people buy a ticket and come to the venue just to chat?

Seriously,WHY people buy a ticket and come to the venue just to chat?

Who knows? We tried to get some people to be quiet at a recent show, and their response was that one of the people in their group was recently in the hospital and she was telling them all about it.

Oh, well in that case...excuse ME for butting into your conversation. :stunned

... a woman standing next to me who knew all the words (and if you're reading this I mean no disrespect) sang loudly and clearly and just slightly out of key. Jeff heard her, gave her most of the song, waited for the third chorus or so, looked directly at her and shushed her, putting his index finger up to his lips with a big smile ... the woman just melted in embarrassed joy. Quite a moment.

This is what I mean by engagement. They're listening too. There's no show without the audience.

"Embarrassed joy." What a great description. I love this anecdote. Thanks for sharing.

after hearing broadcast and seeing 2 shows this tour I say Jeff is serious about wishing folks would just listen to music and probably playing on his fans with the attitude he projects from stage....

I assume the reason REM went to Ireland to record their live album was for this reason as well. Quiet fans make great live recordings.

I think it's just what happens when you get huge.if they'd put out a couple shit albums on purpose it might help,but wilco isn't gonna do that.you could tell the chatty cathys to shut the fuck up yourselves and remind em why they came or you can try to become friends with me and get the front row wheelchair seats.I think it's gonna keep getting worse but I'll still be the first one to order my tickets either way.tweedy needs to do more solo shows perhaps one at the fox in st Louis?

If u listen to Richmond boot you will hear jeff ask if someone paid a lot of money to be there and talk. and he says he always wonder why people pay money to then talk. But we are here to SERVE> (thought that was interesting comment)

But you could just stay home and save the $$$> So I think he is serious about people yakking...... Sure wish folks would shut up. :thumbup

Great show in Philly last night (my third on this leg of the tour, after Richmond and Bethesda). Tweedy did call out the Chatty Cathys, there was a lot of yakking going on, and I think the Electric Factory venue had something to do with it. The folks on the floor were not chatty at all, it was more the folks in the balcony, though I saw lots of folks there digging the show and not talking.

I rather enjoy it when Jeff gets pissed. (maybe not so much with the crowd) but Rock and Roll needs a certain amount of anger and I believe there may be no other rock star I enjoy watching combine his pissed off emotion with his music. Get pissed Jeff! I need a good old fashioned Rock and Roll fit! (insert devil horns)

he didn't seem cranky at the Hartford show, but he did call out an usher as being the "most disruptive usher ever" and said that he'd never had to tell somebody that worked at the venue to be quiet before. :lol

Ha! That was funny.

Great show in Philly last night (my third on this leg of the tour, after Richmond and Bethesda). Tweedy did call out the Chatty Cathys, there was a lot of yakking going on, and I think the Electric Factory venue had something to do with it. The folks on the floor were not chatty at all, it was more the folks in the balcony, though I saw lots of folks there digging the show and not talking.

I was up in the balcony because I've been sick and needed to sit. There were these two middle-aged couples in front of us who I wonder if Jeff could actually hear from the stage, because they barely shut up the whole night. The one guy was really into the show, but his wife and the other couple drank probably at least 8 or 10 beers apiece and completely ignored the fact that everybody else around them was actually trying to enjoy the show. It wouldn't have bugged me if they'd been behind us, but the fact that they were taking up rail space and totally not paying attention to the show was aggravating.

Other than those people, the balcony was great. Lots of singing along and dancing and cheering, which is exactly what I was hoping for.