Roger Waters to tour The Wall

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no fan of LCD but the rubric 'indie rock' is a pretty broad category. i can think of plenty of solid to great bands that can play their instruments and sing in tune, all at once!

btw, i am surprised to see the swipe @ My Morning Jacket. you may not like their music which is fine, but James is undeniably a talented singer and they are a tight band (esp live).

well, we'll have to agree to disagree. i'm trying not to be judgmental about music and i'm glad you called me out on it. i'm especially trying not to be negative on forums etc. you're right, indie rock is a broad category and my criticism was a big swipe at a lot of folks who don't deserve it. now, as far as mmj goes, i love their music and jim does have a good voice, but i just don't like when he intentionally sings off key and his falsetto screams. just doesn't fit the music for me. case in point, the end of Wordless Chorus. just my opinion, judging over:)

• 5 months later...

Roger Waters with David Gilmour "Comfortably Numb"

Roger Waters said it would happen and it finally did on Thursday night at London’s O2 Arena…

David Gilmour and Nick Mason Join Roger Waters in London

Rogers Waters had long indicated that he would be joined by longtime Pink Floyd bandmate David Gilmour for one of his gigs on Waters’ The Wall Tour. On Thursday night in London it finally happened. During the show at O2 Arena, Gilmour stepped out during “Comfortably Numb” to take his signature solo atop The Wall (as he done during the group’s 1980/81 tour). Beyond this, though, Waters offered another surprise, with Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason joining in as well. The three had last appeared together during Live 8 in 2005, which was the first time they had done so since 1981. A post at David Gilmour: The Blog tipped off fans before the appearance and affirmed, “I should also remind you that tonight is most definitely a one-off; David is not repeating his special guest performance at a later occasion, I’m sorry to disappoint those of you with fingers crossed and tickets for later shows.”

Gilmour and Mason later returned at the close of the night for “Outside The Wall.”

Too bad David Gilmour effed up the lyrics and played a totally lackluster solo.

lols.

But in all seriousness, this is really awesome to see. I saw the show in Boston and was in complete awe. Absolute spectacle. In my top 5 best shows I've ever seen!

I've just watched the second clip from the O2 show. Its a ten miunte clip of 'Outside the Wall' with Waters and his band being joined by both Gilmour and Nick Mason. Nick just taps a tambourine and looks a bit disinterested. Roger, however, is buzzing. Watching the footage makes me think that Roger would love to pull Gilmour (and Mason) back into something more permanent. Gilmour...less so.

I know that Roger is siting on an album's worth of material that has yet to see the light of day. Wishful thinking maybe but I'm betting he's holding off on the hope he can convince Gilmour to contribute under the Pink Floyd banner. I'm probably well wide of the mark here but I've been listening to a lot of Floyd this week and it is starting to effect my sanity.

"Banging your head against some mad buggers wall"!!

It's nice to see Gilmour and Mason show up to join Roger, but it would have been way more exciting to hear something they didn't play a couple years ago. I mean, big deal, we just heard them do that song with the whole band at Live 8. Young Lust, or any number of other songs would have been more fun to hear.

I've only seen a few seconds of the Outside the Wall clip.

the whole thing is boring to me....rehash stuff from 30 years ago. Plant was right to pass on the LZ thing.

I saw the Wall Tour and the production was great but 50% of the music and 90% of the vocals were piped in.

I've just watched the second clip from the O2 show. Its a ten miunte clip of 'Outside the Wall' with Waters and his band being joined by both Gilmour and Nick Mason. Nick just taps a tambourine and looks a bit disinterested. Roger, however, is buzzing. Watching the footage makes me think that Roger would love to pull Gilmour (and Mason) back into something more permanent. Gilmour...less so.

I know that Roger is siting on an album's worth of material that has yet to see the light of day. Wishful thinking maybe but I'm betting he's holding off on the hope he can convince Gilmour to contribute under the Pink Floyd banner. I'm probably well wide of the mark here but I've been listening to a lot of Floyd this week and it is starting to effect my sanity.

"Banging your head against some mad buggers wall"!!

probably no reunion. i've heard gilmour say he doesn't want to tour anymore. however, i'm sure we'll get something from them. i'd like to see roger guest on a waters solo record. i really can't see them working together. roger was such a prick in the studio. he'll probably tour the wall for a few years and then settle in vegas. my dream would be to see roger and david get their shit together and play some residencies doing some rare floyd stuff like then entire animals album, the complete shine on, and meddle. set the controls and careful with the axe as encores! :thumbup

c

For some reason, I got all teary-eyed watching those videos. I was in London at the time of the Live 8 reunion but did not go to it as some friends and I were leaving for Paris that day. Coincidentally, I befriended a guy in Paris then who played the "Syd" character in the film, Remember a Day. He told me that he had bumped into Roger Barrett at a shopping mall once, casually approached him and said, "Hello, Syd." He said that Syd replied with a very enthusiastic hello and then walked away, lol. I was really holding out for Syd to pop up on stage at Live 8 but it did not happen. Anyway, I am glad to see the guys putting their differences aside for the music. If this gesture doesn't prove their feelings toward their fans, I don't know what else will.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I should get this, $35.40 seems like a good deal.

51N8M5cj-RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Roger Waters box set

Has anyone listened to the Ca Ira music that is included in this set? I have a soft spot for 'Pro's and Cons'. 'Amused to Death' is great also. If that album had been released under the Pink Floyd moniker it would have sold a lot more copies.

Has anyone listened to the Ca Ira music that is included in this set? I have a soft spot for 'Pro's and Cons'. 'Amused to Death' is great also. If that album had been released under the Pink Floyd moniker it would have sold a lot more copies.

Pros and Cons has some of Eric Claptons best guitar work since Cream. Kudos to Waters for making him comfortable enough to just let rip. Waters solo stuff does not get the due it deserves.

Pros and Cons has some of Eric Claptons best guitar work since Cream. Kudos to Waters for making him comfortable enough to just let rip. Waters solo stuff does not get the due it deserves.

I agree. The song 'Gone Fishing' has some particularly nice guitar work on it. I also like Jeff Beck's contribution on 'Amused to Death'.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...