Roger Waters to tour The Wall

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go and am sure it will be great, but damn I wish he'd just release some new material instead of touring another old Floyd album.

I think he kinda lost his creative spark. Amused to Death had good parts to but wasn't great. He also really can't sing anymore either which is a little more tolerable in a live environment with pyro and visual stimulation than on a studio record. I, for one, am really looking forward to this. It should definitely be a spectacle.

Amused To Death is my favourite! Loved the 99/00 tours when he was playing a few from that album, Pros & Cons tour still the gold standard for me though. It is too bad about his vocals not being up to the more strenuous stuff, as far back as the 99 tour he was lip-synching the "from where I stand..." part in Every Stranger's Eyes, and on the DSOTM tour using pre-recorded "guide vocals" on Have A Cigar and others that were pretty much all you heard in the house while he mumbled along to make it look good on the video screens. Not sure who he thought he was fooling, if anyone. Given that a huge percentage of the vocals on The Wall are by him, should expect even more of that. Hope I don't sound too down on him, I love Roger and will go see him anywhere, anytime. Just jonesing for some new stuff is all, it's been 18 years since Amused To Death!

Amused To Death is my favourite! Loved the 99/00 tours when he was playing a few from that album, Pros & Cons tour still the gold standard for me though. It is too bad about his vocals not being up to the more strenuous stuff, as far back as the 99 tour he was lip-synching the "from where I stand..." part in Every Stranger's Eyes, and on the DSOTM tour using pre-recorded "guide vocals" on Have A Cigar and others that were pretty much all you heard in the house while he mumbled along to make it look good on the video screens. Not sure who he thought he was fooling, if anyone. Given that a huge percentage of the vocals on The Wall are by him, should expect even more of that. Hope I don't sound too down on him, I love Roger and will go see him anywhere, anytime. Just jonesing for some new stuff is all, it's been 18 years since Amused To Death!

Don't get me wrong, I like Amused to Death but I think it's a little wordy and a little overlong. Radio KAOS tour was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Too bad it got overshadowed by the ersatz Pink Floyd tour in '87.

Don't get me wrong, I like Amused to Death but I think it's a little wordy and a little overlong. Radio KAOS tour was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. Too bad it got overshadowed by the ersatz Pink Floyd tour in '87.

I always used to argue with my brother about this. I followed the Water's solo path whereas he remained with the Floyd post-waters line-up.

'Amused to Death' is significantly better than both 'Momentary Lapse' and 'Division Bell'. It just shows the strength of the 'Floyd' moniker. Imagine if 'Amused to Death' had been released as a 'Pink Floyd' record and 'Momentary Lapse' was a Gilmour solo record (which it was in everything but name). The respective sales would have been very different and 'Amused' would be viewed as a classic.

Still not really interesting in Roger dragging 'The Wall' out again. I wish these guys would leave things alone. Either come up with new output or retire from view. There is too much good new music around to get excited obout old boys peddling 30 year old material.

I always used to argue with my brother about this. I followed the Water's solo path whereas he remained with the Floyd post-waters line-up.

'Amused to Death' is significantly better than both 'Momentary Lapse' and 'Division Bell'. It just shows the strength of the 'Floyd' moniker. Imagine if 'Amused to Death' had been released as a 'Pink Floyd' record and 'Momentary Lapse' was a Gilmour solo record (which it was in everything but name). The respective sales would have been very different and 'Amused' would be viewed as a classic.

Still not really interesting in Roger dragging 'The Wall' out again. I wish these guys would leave things alone. Either come up with new output or retire from view. There is too much good new music around to get excited obout old boys peddling 30 year old material.

Amused came 5 years after MLOR. I think the proper comparison is KAOS and MLOR as they came out within weeks of each other and the tours were on the road at the same time. Roger fucked KAOS up with that 80's sounding production (he admitted as much) and the concept was too goofy to really be taken seriously. The tour however was another thing entirely, goofy concept or not, the show really worked as a thematic piece integrating the Floyd stuff with the KAOS album and I would still put it in the top 10 of shows I ever saw.

It's easy to see how the public sided with Gilmour, he had the name, he created radio friendly music that sounded like Floyd (Roger really wasn't trying to at that point) and he gave the public what they wanted. That '87-'88 tour was a spectacle, I saw it 3 times and enjoyed it. JFK '87 when they opened with Echoes and closed with Shine On I still remember vividly.

By the time of Amused in '92, Roger didn't seem to be really taken seriously by the press or radio even though now he was trying to sound like Pink Floyd, it was too late. What God Wants came and went as a single and that was that, no one bought the record. I think it's debateable whether it would be viewed as a classic if it was called Pink Floyd, maybe. If it was Gilmour playing the guitar instead of Jeff Beck.....

I still think the record is overlong and too wordy but I like the concept much more. Bravery of Being Out of Range rocks. Again though, 2 years later with Division Bell, Gilmour gave the public what they wanted and with Wright back in the fold writing and playing (as opposed to MLOR where his involvement seems to be limited to being included in the credits), the record actually sounds like a PF record and I actually kind of like it. Sure, conceptually it's week but musically I think it's pretty good.

Man I went on here, sorry. Anyway, I hear you about 60+ years olds trotting out 30 year old records but something like the Wall, to me at least, is theatre and it doesn't really matter who is putting it on or how old it is. And having been 11 the first time they toured it and not buying a plane ticket to Berlin in '90, I'm glad for the chance of seeing it live. I started getting really excited at the prospect of being in something like the 10th row

during the side 4 facist block of In the Flesh/Run Like Hell/Waiting for the worms and the seeing the Trial and having the Wall come down. The Dark Side tour 3 years ago was great and Roger's a stickler when it comes to production, I think it's going to be great.

Anyway, I hear you about 60+ years olds trotting out 30 year old records but something like the Wall, to me at least, is theatre and it doesn't really matter who is putting it on or how old it is. And having been 11 the first time they toured it and not buying a plane ticket to Berlin in '90, I'm glad for the chance of seeing it live.

I was at that show in berlin in '90. It was quite something. About 500,000 people from all over the world. A very strange experience. I understand where you're coming from. I'm sure it will be an impressive production. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite though because if Genesis announced they were going to tour 'The Lamb' with Peter Gabriel I would be shaking with excitement!!

I saw him a few years ago when he did Dark Side Of the Moon.

It was spectacular.

Roger sounded great. His backing band was aces. And the visuals that he worked up for the show were amazing. Yeah, he had the flying pig with him and there was also a Super-HD screen on stage that had 3D imagery without any 3D glasses. Pretty amazing stuff. But the important thing -- the music -- sounded outstanding.

I was at that show in berlin in '90. It was quite something. About 500,000 people from all over the world. A very strange experience. I understand where you're coming from. I'm sure it will be an impressive production. I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite though because if Genesis announced they were going to tour 'The Lamb' with Peter Gabriel I would be shaking with excitement!!

Lucky man, were you close enough to really see anything?

I would be there in a second to see Genesis play Lamb too but I really think the band Musical Box has intimitated them to a certain degree and that Genesis doesn't think they could be as good as they are now.

:cheers I for one am very excited

just wait till you see the ticket prices!. the Oz tours he did in 2002 and 2007 where the exact same show, at the same venue. $135 in 2002, then $350 in 2007. buy the In the flesh dvd and it only costs $26 :thumbup

be very very afraid!

just wait till you see the ticket prices!. the Oz tours he did in 2002 and 2007 where the exact same show, at the same venue. $135 in 2002, then $350 in 2007. buy the In the flesh dvd and it only costs $26 :thumbup

be very very afraid!

I'm figuring $150 to $250. What the fuck, you only live once. And if the production is spectacular with quad sound all the puppets, marching band etc, I think it would be worth the money. Aren't big broadway productions around $150?

Lucky man, were you close enough to really see anything?

I would be there in a second to see Genesis play Lamb too but I really think the band Musical Box has intimitated them to a certain degree and that Genesis doesn't think they could be as good as they are now.

Yeah, I was pretty close (100 metres). I was 17 at the time and its all a bit vague in my mind now. My dad took me and we went down from the UK in a coach full of Floyd fans. There was a funny smell in the coach all the way down with lots of old hippies reliving their youth.

I destinctly remember Van Morrison belting out 'Comfortably Numb' and also Cyndi Lauper destroying 'Brick In The Wall II'. About a month before Berlin I saw Pink Floyd headline at Knebworth (McCartney was second on the bill!!). The played a lovely version of 'Shine On' in the rain with Candy Dulfer on Sax. I also remember Status Quo opening the Knebworth show and 250,000 people jumping around to 'Rockin' All Over The World'!!!

I've never seen 'The Musical Box' so I might have to check them out. The Genesis reunion tour of 2007 was a major dissapointment and partly fueled my dislike of old codgers reuniting.

I've never seen 'The Musical Box' so I might have to check them out. The Genesis reunion tour of 2007 was a major dissapointment and partly fueled my dislike of old codgers reuniting.

Check 'em outm they're very good. The Genesis thread in this section has some discussion about them.

not official yet but these are the dates that have leaked.....

Sep 15, 2010 Air Canada Centre Air Canada Centre Toronto, ON

Sep 20, 2010 United Center United Center Chicago, IL

Sep 21, 2010 United Center United Center Chicago, IL

Sep 26, 2010 Consol Energy Center Consol Energy Center Pittsburgh, PA

Sep 28, 2010 Quicken Loans Arena Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH

Sep 30, 2010 Boston TD Garden Boston TD Garden Boston, MA

Oct 05, 2010 Madison Square Garden Madison Square Garden New York City, NY

Oct 08, 2010 HSBC Arena HSBC Arena Buffalo, NY

Oct 10, 2010 Verizon Center Verizon Center Washington D.C.

Oct 12, 2010 Nassau Coliseum Nassau Coliseum Long Island, NY

Oct 15, 2010 XL Center XL Center Hartford, CT

Oct 17, 2010 Scotiabank Place Scotiabank Place Ottawa, ON

Oct 19, 2010 Bell Centre Bell Centre Montreal, PQ

Oct 22, 2010 Schottenstein Center Schottenstein Center Columbus, OH

Oct 24, 2010 The Palace of Auburn Hills The Palace of Auburn Hills Detroit, MI

Oct 26, 2010 Qwest Center Qwest Center Omaha, NE

Oct 27, 2010 Xcel Energy Center Xcel Energy Center St Paul, MN

Oct 29, 2010 Scottrade Center Scottrade Center St Louis, MO

Oct 30, 2010 Sprint Center Sprint Center Kansas City, MO

Nov 03, 2010 Izod Center Izod Center East Rutherford, NJ

Nov 08, 2010 Wachovia Center Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA

Nov 09, 2010 Wachovia Center Wachovia Center Philadelphia, PA

Nov 13, 2010 Bank Atlantic Center Bank Atlantic Center Fort Lauderdale, FL

Nov 16, 2010 St Pete Times Forum St Pete Times Forum Tampa, FL

Nov 18, 2010 Philips Arena Philips Arena Atlanta, GA

Nov 20, 2010 Toyota Center Toyota Center Houston, TX

Nov 21, 2010 American Airlines Center American Airlines Center Dallas, TX

Nov 23, 2010 Pepsi Center Pepsi Center Denver, CO

Nov 26, 2010 MGM Grand Garden Arena MGM Grand Garden Arena Las Vegas, NV

Nov 27, 2010 US Airways Center US Airways Center Phoenix, AZ

Nov 29, 2010 The Forum The Forum Los Angeles, CA

Dec 06, 2010 HP Pavilion HP Pavilion San Jose, CA

Dec 10, 2010 GM Place GM Place Vancouver, BC

Dec 11, 2010 Tacoma Dome Tacoma Dome Tacoma, WA

Few open dates for a 3-night stand to start the tour in Toronto, better start doing some overtime to pay for this....