Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or favorite albums/artists that have a theme of redemption or overcoming personal demons or addictions. Even songs that have helped YOU through some nasty stuff.

Let's just say 2009 was pretty much a disaster for me and now I am "behaving" myself and trying to put all the pieces back together.One album I am loving is Stevie Ray Vaughan's 'In Step' right now.

Looking forward to your input. I know there are a lot of great music lovers here. Thanks in advance!

I look forward to the replies in this thread, nice idea.

It's not a song, but the first thing this reminded me of is Bob Dylan's 1991 Lifetime Grammy acceptance speech:

"Well," he said, "my daddy, he didn't leave me much, you know he was a very simple man,

but what he did tell me was this, he did say, son, he said"

- there was a long pause, nervous laughter from the crowd -

"he say, you know it's possible to become so defiled in this world

that your own father and mother will abandon you and if that happens,

God will always believe in your ability to mend your ways."

Guest Ordinary Beehive

During the toughest period in my life, I listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot exclusively. I'm not sure what that says about the album, really, but I like to think I sort of "found" myself with its help. Or something like that.

Johnny Cash. The 6 vols of American Recordings are a great start - Beast in Me (Vol 1) I See a Darkness (Vol 3)

Paul Kelly (Australian singer/songwriter) - How to Make Gravy, Would You Be My Friend, To Her Door. His first greatest hits compilation Songs from the South has gotten me through a few dark patches.

Finn Bros. - Won't Give In (& a few others on the Everyone is Here album)

In terms of song writers, I love reading through the writing of 18th century hymnwriter Charles Wesley. He was a deeply tormented man, writing a lot about death and dying. Early English blues?

During the worst stages of my first marriage, not even strong sleeping pills could make me calm down enough to be able to sleep. So I listened to Summerteeth in it's full length every night, and by "In A Future Age" I was calm enough to sleep. It probably still works for me if it has to.

2004 it was Jay Bennett's "Curiosity" that put me through the separation, starting a completely new life in a different town, new job et all.

2005, when I had first met Robert and was totally unsure about how I should respond to his feeling that we were meant to be, Bright Eyes' "First Day Of My Life" came out, and it hit me like a bargepole - this was exactly what I was feeling, and I'm still on the verge of tears when I listen to it, because it made a very tough decision (getting involved with someone so much younger after a really nasty breakup) all easy.

2007, when I finally got rid of one of the already mentioned toxic vampires, and needed to face the fact that they had been lying to me during several years about absolutely everything, it was ELO's "Endless Lies" that made me strong enough to finally see the light.

Yes, it is amazing how much we rely on music when there seems nothing else to hold on anymore :wub

I would say the artist that got me through the worst of it was Jeff Buckley.

His cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released" will soothe even the most tortured of souls.

In terms of go-to songs, it's usually Pavement's "Here" these days. It always gives me a strange sense of fulfillment to hear the lines "I was dressed for success/but success it never comes," because I live it. :lol

In terms of albums, it's recently been the Velvet Underground..."Pale Blue Eyes" is a worldslayer.

Everyone by Van Morrison comes to mind for me, though almost entirely in the context of the end of Royal Tenenbaums. Doing this based on films can be dangerous of course because on paper Donovan's Atlantis is hardly a song you'd think would be great to kick someone's ass to, but after seeing Goodfellas it should be required background music for all bar fights.

--Mike

Oh also: Oh La La by the Faces, which works even out of the context of its usage in a Wes Anderson movie ending.

Funny, I was just putting together a bunch of Tom Waits songs with a redemption theme.

This is what I got, so far...

Jesus Gonna Be Here

Down there by the Train

Way Down in the Hole

Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis

Long Way Home

Lord I've Been Changed

Martha

Train Song

Franks Theme

Please Call Me, Baby

During a very bad time in 2005 someone gave me the Concert for George on DVD. Changed my world around. I've been a George fan for years but hadn't for some reason checked this out. And for me the thing about it was here were all these great songs that George wrote and all his friends getting up there and doing them in his honor. To me that was one of the most touching musical events I can think of. And it was full of class from start to finish.

As far as albums go - Ryan Adams' Jacksonville City Nights was a huge album for me and one album I listened to multiple times a day for over a year. I still come back to it but I thought it was nearly flawless.

Great thread.