What order do you put Wes Anderson's films in?

And your favorite is?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Wes Anderson Film?

• Bottle Rocket
    • Rushmore
    • The Royal Tenenbaums
    • The Life Aquatic
    • The Darjeeling Limited
    • The Fantastic Mr. Fox

Haven't seen Moonrise Kingdom yet, but I hope to in the next couple of days. It sounds like it's worth a trip to the local mega-plex to see it on the big screen. Most things I'm content to wait for the DVD, but Wes Anderson's work is pretty special. (Huge Rushmore fan here.)

BTW, the above conversations are what I really love about this board. Intelligent, articulate conversations about topics I'm interested in... and, we all love Wilco! It's pretty perfect.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We saw Moonrise Kingdom last weekend and while not quite on par with Rushmore & Tenenbaums (Rushmore is still my favorite version of Andersonville for many of the same reasons that Beltmann so eloquently stated, plus I had a huge crush on Olivia Williams' character) I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the film. I found it easier to buy into Andersonville in a relatively isolated setting with a small cast of characters. When that world is expanded the facade slips a bit.

BTW, the above conversations are what I really love about this board. Intelligent, articulate conversations about topics I'm interested in... and, we all love Wilco! It's pretty perfect.

I agree. I also came up with a way to connect Wilco and Wes Anderson when it comes to appeal. In Anderson's films, there is a juxtaposition of wit and sadness. I'm thinking of the surprise of Richie attempting suicide in Tenenbaums or the boy drowning in Darjeeling. I love how he can put all of that into one film, when most mainstream films fit into easily defined genres; horror, rom-com, action, whatever. Wilco can also pack several differing styles into one piece. Like what David Fricke in "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" says, something like, There's quiet there, there's loud there, and I feel bad about the people who don't get it. So, both defy putting into well defined boxes, and fans of Wilco and fans of Wes Anderson are smart enough to love all of it, quite and loud.

I think in some ways, Darjeeling is his most interesting movie. Not only is it a gorgeously composed film, but it really reveals itself after three or four views. Underrated.

Me, too. It seems to me to have a spiritual journey element that I like alot.

I haven't seen The Darjeeling Limited since theaters, but at the time I felt it was one of Anderson's least accomplished efforts. Still, I've been meaning to revisit it. If there's one thing I've learned over a lifetime of writing about movies, it's that first impressions can't always be trusted.

Definitely revisit Darjeeling. It is my favorite. To me the development of the character and family dynamics are on par with Tenenbaums. Try to see it with the Hotel Chevalier short prequel.

Also, my husband and I were Richie and Margot Tenenbaum for Halloween.

The short film from Darjeeling was available for free as an iTunes download at one time, and it's one of the few videos I have on my ipod.

I just have to say, it's such a pleasure to read and participate in this discussion. We're lucky to have someone as knowledgeable as Beltmann in our little family!

• 3 weeks later...

I saw "Moonlight Kingdom" this weekend and found it delightful. I have not seen all the films on the list but of those I have seen nearly all left me cold. This one threated to do the same, but actually came through. The story was compelling the acting great and the quirky style worked just fine. I couldn't watch the entire Life Aquatic, despite liking Bill Murray alot. The Royal Tennanbaums was one I also liked a great deal. I fell asleep during parts of Mr. Fox.

LouieB

I've tried watching The Royal Tenenbaums on multiple occasions, and have never made it all the way through. I started The Darjeeling Limited and made it halfway through. I went to see Moonrise Kingdom in the theatre and think that it was one of the best movies I've seen in a very, very long time. Is this because MK is an atypical Wes Anderson movie? Which WA movie should I try next?

In all the Wes Anderson movies either the people are jerks or the style is sort of cool to cold. The wonderful thing about MK is that all the characters had some redeeming characteristics and you really cared about the two kids. I have never seen Darjeerling, although I have this vague notion I have seen Bottlerocket (yea I think I have so Darjeerling is the one I havent seen) so I would suggest Bottlerocket, but as I recall the characters in that are kind of jerks too.

LouieB

• 1 year later...

Bottlerocket was good. I cant see myself ever watching those other flicks again though. Maybe Rushmore but nuh-uh after that.

I like his movies a bunch, but yeah I'd be just as big a fan if he stopped after Rushmore.

I may be in the minority, but his best just might be The Darjeeling Limited.  I have a feeling The Grand Budapest might be closer to that stylistically.

I often wondered what Wes Anderson would do with a Superhero or big budget SciFi Epic.  Maybe he could direct Star Wars VIII.