08. "Rumblin'"

Performance of Hitchhiker from the Twisted Road tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjkabhISmAQ

I can't fucking wait for this.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't wait for this either. in true neil fashion, he's not putting two of the tunes he's played on tour on the album...leah and you never call. i really liked both. i can see why leah's not included, but i'll miss you never call. guess we'll have to wait for the archives volume ?

• 2 weeks later...

Greg Kot tweets-

"Just spoke to Neil Young. Says death of Ben Keith means "I won't be able to perform 70% of my repertoire with a band ever again."

maybe a little extreme, but shows how sad ben's passing is.

http://www.examiner.com/bob-dylan-in-national/rumor-neil-young-s-bridge-benefit-2010-to-include-buffalo-springfield-plus-friends-of-bob-dylan

in other news, rumor that Buffalo Springfield is gonna play Bridge??? !!! :stunned

i guess they could do it as the three main dudes are left. would be neat to see rusty young and jim messina turn up as well.

Another Billboard article about the new album:

Neil Young Goes Electric for 'Le Noise'

Neil Young knew he wanted to make a purely solo album -- just himself and a guitar -- when he recruited Daniel Lanois to produce the upcoming "Le Noise." That it finds him primarily playing electric guitar, however, came as a surprise.

"It evolved from being solo acoustic into being solo electric," Young tells Billboard.com. The singer-songwriter says that after a few acoustic songs were initially recorded, he pulled out "The Hitchhiker," an autobiographical song Young first wrote around 1975, and began working it up for "Le Noise." "Then I thought to myself, 'This is definitely going to be better electric than acoustic," Young recalls. "So we tried it and it sounded really interesting and really good and strong...So I went home and got my white [Gretsch] Falcon out...and I wrote a sound or two like that and then brought them in and that kind of opened the door for us."

Lanois adds that the transition to electric "was not a deliberate move or anything. Neil was able to go off and write some additional songs, and I think there was a subconscious force at play that brought this material to the table for us."

Young and Lanois and his team recorded "Le Noise" at the producer's home studio in Los Angeles' Silverlake area, recording a couple songs at a time during full moon or new moon sessions. The sessions were also filmed by Lanois cohort Adam Vollick, who created films to accompany each of the eight tracks on deluxe versions of "Le Noise," which comes out Sept. 28, and on a Blu-ray disc due in November.

"We've been developing this simple philosophy that, as the magic moment is unfolding musically, let the lense capture it with one camera," Lanois notes.

"Le Noise" will also be released as an App that Young says "is based on my 'Archives' Blu-ray set" with a variety of interactive extras including original lyric manuscripts, photos, a career timeline and possibly alternate or live takes of the songs, the latter of which come from preview performances while he was on tour earlier this year. "What it does is bring you back to the album cover experience we used to get when the album cover was something tangible and big enough to actually read and see," Young explains. "(The App) creates a version of it for the iPad or for a computer or a smart phone."

Young will likely continue to play some of the "Le Noise" songs at a run of Gulf Coast region shows that start Sept. 20 in Panama City, Fla., and will include food drives as well as a donation from Tyson Foods. Young also performs Oct. 2 at Farm Aid's 25th anniversary concert in Milwaukee and hosts his annual Bridge School Benefit shows Oct. 23-24 in Mountain View, Calif., where he'll reunite with surviving Buffalo Springfield members Stephen Stills and Richie Furay for the first time in 42 years.

http://stereogum.com/507781/neil-young-angry-world-video-stereogum-premiere/top-stories/lead-story/

the video for Angry World. it is utterly terrible. be warned. the music is bad, and the lyrics just made me laugh. it seems like he just has to make music; ok, fair enough neil - my dog has to take a shit each day - that's why i take him for a walk in the woods, i don't invite all my friends and family around the house to watch him do it. so take a break for a bit; do that shit in private, and when something worthwhile enters your head and makes it on to tape - then release it.

by the way, it didn't make me angry, it just made me laugh at how bad it was.

hurry up with Archives 2 and those unreleased albums!

it made me laugh, so that's a positive i guess.

it is true what you said above. take a break maybe. no way anything like this would be given a first look if it was a new artist. neil is confounding, he plops this song onto an 8 song album while leaving off two way better tracks. i'll still get the album...however, i'm sad the initial idea of doing a solo album was jettisoned. it would be neat to see neil leave for a few years and grieve the loss of his friends and come back with a real killer album.

btw-angry world would have been way more digestible had this been with crazy horse.

yeah it's an angry world...yeah yeah yeah...

oh well, i'm trying really really hard to be open-minded about this:)

Those lyrics are dreadful. I actually like the production and sound of the song. However the words sound like they were written by a ten year old.

http://stereogum.com/507781/neil-young-angry-world-video-stereogum-premiere/top-stories/lead-story/

the video for Angry World. it is utterly terrible. be warned. the music is bad, and the lyrics just made me laugh. it seems like he just has to make music; ok, fair enough neil - my dog has to take a shit each day - that's why i take him for a walk in the woods, i don't invite all my friends and family around the house to watch him do it. so take a break for a bit; do that shit in private, and when something worthwhile enters your head and makes it on to tape - then release it.

by the way, it didn't make me angry, it just made me laugh at how bad it was.

hurry up with Archives 2 and those unreleased albums!

Huh. I actually really liked it! Not as good as "Walk With Me," which you can hear now here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129838357

thanks for the link.

That track is a lot better. I'm loving the production.

I was thinking about my previous post where I questioned the lyrics to the the first track we heard. I was listening to 'On The Beach' this morning, which I view as Neils crowing achievement, and it occured to me that some of the lyrics on that record are pretty shocking too. Read the words, and this may be a hanging offence!, to Ambulance Blues. They are not great either. Neil's never been about the lyrics in the same way as Dylan or Nick Cave. Its always about the holistic. Maybe, when I hear the new album as one piece it may make more sense. I hope so.

I was thinking about my previous post where I questioned the lyrics to the the first track we heard. I was listening to 'On The Beach' this morning, which I view as Neils crowing achievement, and it occured to me that some of the lyrics on that record are pretty shocking too. Read the words, and this may be a hanging offence!, to Ambulance Blues. They are not great either. Neil's never been about the lyrics in the same way as Dylan or Nick Cave. Its always about the holistic. Maybe, when I hear the new album as one piece it may make more sense. I hope so.

I never knew a man

could tell so many lies

He had a different story

for every set of eyes.

How can he remember

who he's talkin' to?

'Cause I know it ain't me,

and I hope it isn't you.

Well, I'm up in T.O.

keepin' jive alive,

And out on the corner

it's half past five.

But the subways are empty

And so are the cafes.

Except for the Farmer's Market

And I still can hear him say:

You're all just pissin'

in the wind

You don't know it but you are.

And there ain't nothin'

like a friend

Who can tell you

you're just pissin'

in the wind.

those aren't great lyrics? so in your opinion, what, 2 people on earth right good lyrics? haha

Well so far I like this album a lot more than the one about cars. I didn't really like the lyrics to Angry World on the first listen but the music was solid and I have a feeling that song will fall into place on the album. Love And War and Walk With Me are brilliant. Hitchiker is a classic as well, I haven't heard the album version, but based on the live performances recently it should be a great one.

Sounds like the godfather of grunge is about to reclaim his throne.

Yikes. He's written his fair share of clunkers, but I don't consider "Ambulance Blues" to be among those. Overall, I think he is in an elite category as a songwriter.

Well so far I like this album a lot more than the one about cars.

That's about as low as the bar goes with Shakey. Fork in the Road is awful.

Yikes. He's written his fair share of clunkers, but I don't consider "Ambulance Blues" to be among those. Overall, I think he is in an elite category as a songwriter.

I think people missed my point.

Ambulance Blues is a classic. A great song off a great album. My point was that I never warmed to the lyrics (rhyming 'jive' with 'half past five' for example). The genius of Neil Young is that its the 'feeling' and soul in his songs that makes them classics rather than the lyrics (in my opinion). Certain artists place great stock in words. Neil is more ragged in his wordplay. Not a bad thing, but true non-the-less. 'Ragged Glory' is another one of my favourite records but the lyrics are generally average.

Now if we're talking about 'clunkers' then Motocycle Mama gets vote!!!

Ambulance Blues is a classic. A great song off a great album. My point was that I never warmed to the lyrics (rhyming 'jive' with 'half past five' for example). The genius of Neil Young is that its the 'feeling' and soul in his songs that makes them classics rather than the lyrics (in my opinion). Certain artists place great stock in words. Neil is more ragged in his wordplay. Not a bad thing, but true non-the-less. 'Ragged Glory' is another one of my favourite records but the lyrics are generally average.

On the one hand you acknowledge that Ambulance Blues is a classic, but you are continuing to say it is weak songwriting. I simply disagree with you. I am pretty sure I did not miss your point. From your posts I gather that you find some of his writing to be awkward. I guess (after going back and reading the lyrics) you can look past it on a song like Ambulance Blues. It's the newer, less established material that you feel more comfortable railing.

P.S. - Motorcycle Mama doesn't bother me at all. The lyrics fit the songs perfectly. It's not supposed to be any deeper than it is. Your "ragged" approach fits this song well.

i'm with you on the neil young 'feeling' thing. i think that's why i like most of his stuff...i like the feeling. although, that's probably true for most artists i've ever been really into. concerning his lyrics, i think neil has said in interviews that he is more primitive in his words than say, dylan.