yeah, i think you've got me on that! cos i'm just in talks right now with daniel lanois to produce my next bedroom recording - i wanted jack nitzche, but he's dead. he's bringing a whole bunch of session musicians with him, though. my mum can't wait to buy her copy!

obviously Neil's success has afforded him the ability to make decisions that others can't. this was even true w/ Bob Pollard, who made some big-sounding records like _Isolation Drills_ after the lo-fi experimentation of earlier records raised his profile enough to do so.

i can't find the quote right now, but i do recall seeing Neil basically dis the Thrashers Wheat board because of naysayers about his new music, something to the extent of if they didn't like it, that's fine, and they'll both move on.

i hope your mum likes her copy. be sure to let us know when it's on bandcamp.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I w0s just standing 2 feet away from the master in Hollywood Florida at a LincVolt Press conference before his show tonight at the Hard Rock. It was sick.....I will post some pix later. The man is a world treasure. I had goose bumps standing that close to him.......Rock on.

neil's career would the be same if he sold a single copy of each release, that his mom bought.

Actually, his career would be entirely different if he only sold one copy per release. He'd probably work at Lionel Playworld, just to get the employee discount so he could buy toy trains.

'regardless of what i meant' :lol

I use these boards as a way to kill some time, shoot the shit and talk about music, passionately; i figure others here have invested time and $ into listening, and it's not just ear candy from the radio like the general populace.

I also realize that taste is subjective, and even if you truly thing that Neil's last 'close to good' LP was Tonight's The Night, I can vehemently disagree w/ it but I realize I'm not gonna move you off yr position. That's not my intent.

Maybe arguing about music online is like dancing about architecture.

very nyccccccccccccce.

I've always liked yer style, kid.

ya got big things ahead of ya.

Can't wait for the RS cover shot - I gotst an eye for talent.

'regardless of what i meant' :lol

I use these boards as a way to kill some time, shoot the shit and talk about music, passionately; i figure others here have invested time and $ into listening, and it's not just ear candy from the radio like the general populace.

I also realize that taste is subjective, and even if you truly thing that Neil's last 'close to good' LP was Tonight's The Night, I can vehemently disagree w/ it but I realize I'm not gonna move you off yr position. That's not my intent.

Maybe arguing about music online is like dancing about architecture.

to make a weak (analogy); is it really fair to compare such a body of work- it's like saying that (insert heroic sports star name here) wasn't as good in his latter years as in his prime. Exceptions exist, but c'mon. i appreciate the "performer" who gives the stage, the music, and the fans, continued respect and effort.

I w0s just standing 2 feet away from the master in Hollywood Florida at a LincVolt Press conference before his show tonight at the Hard Rock. It was sick.....I will post some pix later. The man is a world treasure. I had goose bumps standing that close to him.......Rock on.

That is really cool.

I have not heard the new album but i saw the tour this past summer and noticed a lot of similar songs. I enjoyed them on the tour and i'm looking forward to hearing them on the album.

If nothing else it will hopefully produce a good studio version of hitchhiker. Surely that is soemthing everyone can be happy about. Right?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2010/12/neil-young-with-daniel-lanois-love-and-war/

a new interview with neil and daniel lanois. read the bombshell below!

I woke up in the middle of the night because I’ve been listening to this – it’s a bit of a tangent here, but I’ve been listening to this album called Treasure, which I have in the can that was done in 1985. I’ve been listening to it because I plan on releasing it someday, and it’s a great record. But all of the people – the key people – are all gone. I have this history of these people that are playing the greatest music of our lives, playing unbelievably great, and now they’re gone, and I didn’t continue playing with them. At some point I had to say, “I’ll see you guys later. I gotta go do this. I’m gonna go play with Crazy Horse now. I’m gonna do this or I’m gonna do that.” In that way I am ruthless, but I’m ruthless for the music. What is ruth? I don’t know what ruth is. If I don’t have any of it, you know, I’m okay.

as a big neil fan and student of his unreleased stuff, this is the first i've heard of the album Treasure! i assume ben keith is on it. wow.

the other cool thing in the interview is that neil basically says the lanois is his new david briggs. pretty cool.

• 1 month later...

Exclusive: Buffalo Springfield to Reunite for Fall Tour

By Patrick Doyle

February 10, 2011 6:30 PM ET

Since Buffalo Springfield reunited at last year’s Bridge School Benefit in Mountain View, California, there have been rumors the band will tour for the first time since their break-up in 1968. Now longtime band friend David Crosby confirms it: original members Neil Young, Stephen Stills and Richie Furay will hit the road this fall.

“I think he is excited,” Crosby says of CSN bandmate Stephen Stills. “And I’ve got to tell you, I didn’t get to see them live, but I watched clips and Richie [Furay]- I got to tell you man, he is so happy onstage and is such a joyful energy.”

Crosby continues, “He really sparked that thing, and I think it was a very pleasant experience for Neil and Stephen both. I know they’re going to go out for at least some dates in the fall. Personally, I’d like to go watch. They’re one of my favorite bands.”

Furay’s manager David Spero tells Rolling Stone, “There certainly are discussions to that effect.”

Crosby has an idea how to make the tour even more special: “I wish I could throw it in with the Byrds,” he says, referring to his old band. “That would be my dream, because everybody and their uncle would come to see the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield. But that’s not going to happen.” Why not? “Roger [McGuinn] is pretty adamant about that. He’s very happy about being a folksinger; he likes it, and wants it that way.”

The Byrds originally broke up in 1973, but McGuinn, bass player Chris Hillman and Crosby staged a series of reunions between 1988 and 1990. They recorded four new songs in for a Byrds box set in 1990 and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991. Since then, original members Gene Clark and Michael Clarke passed away.

"It’s pretty obvious that [buffalo Springfield and The Byrds] would be a great show,” Crosby says. “You can’t have everything, though. People in hell want ice water.”

It’s unclear whether the Springfield has plans to record new material, but Crosby isn’t optimistic. “I doubt it,” he says. “I don’t think they have the material. But then again, Neil can write five songs in one week, damn him. I wish I could. Anything’s possible. I know all three of those guys are still writing, so you can say anything.”

At the Bridge School benefit, Furay, Young and Stills reunited for a moving 12-song set, joined by drummer Joe Vitale filling in for the late Dewey Martin and Young’s longtime bassist Rick Rosas replacing the late Bruce Palmer. The band mixed hits (“For What It’s Worth,” “Rock and Roll Woman,” “Mr. Soul”) with deep cuts (“Burned,” “Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing”) from their brief three-year career.

The original five Springfield members attempted to reform on three separate occasions in the Eighties, but “there just wasn’t a flow,” Furay said in September. But he was optimistic days after the reunion show last year. “I’m never going to say never again,” he told Rolling Stone. “From our perspective, we left with the idea that we can do this if we want to.”

I hope they do Whatever Happened to Saturday Night?

i'd like to see this, but i'm not gonna pay what i know the tix are gonna be. they're gonna have to pull out some more songs for a tour. no doubt they'll play some csn, neil solo and some poco. crosby and nash are also touring.

isn't that an eagle's song?

i'd like to see this, but i'm not gonna pay what i know the tix are gonna be. they're gonna have to pull out some more songs for a tour. no doubt they'll play some csn, neil solo and some poco. crosby and nash are also touring.

isn't that an eagle's song?

Yes, but I would not listen to an Eagles song if they were the last immigrant grocers on Earth.

(It's also an Buffalo Springfield out take - it's on the box set.)

Yes, but I would not listen to an Eagles song if they were the last immigrant grocers on Earth.

(It's also an Buffalo Springfield out take - it's on the box set.)

i see. never got the box set. their albums are enough for me. actually, i'm not a huge fan. i like neil's contributions and stills had a few good songs. however, richie furay is just not all that. he's not that great of a song writer. my favorite poco stuff was always timothy b. schmit and some paul cotton as well as jim messina.