That album must be from the time period when he trying to be Willie Nelson - according to the Shakey book. Is that right?

yes, mid 80s with the international harvesters. some of that concert footage looks sped up.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, nobody would.

yeah, definitely an April 1st thing, but the kernels of truth are in there. at least from my perspective.

people do free shows sometimes. There's Summerfest in Milwaukee where you pay like $10 to get in and then can go stage to stage listening to music all day.

Also, just one example, Dave Matthews Band played a free show at Central Park in 2003

How is this a free show?

Well let's seeI've seen Wilco, Andrew Bird, Buddy Guy, Jack Johnson, Ben Harper

One night I saw

Andrew Bird

Wilco

one night I saw Buddy Guy

One night I saw

Jack Johnson

Ben Harper

So I saw 5 quality bands (give or take jack johnson) for $30 when Wilco alone charges over $50 these days.

Sure, it isn't free, but relatively speaking, it's cheap as hell

having to listen to DMB isn't something I would consider free of any sort of burden, financial or otherwise.

How so?

the bands get paid, the city or state just picks up the tab.

DMB=living hell.

no way i'd ever willingly subject myself to stand within earshot of them. you couldn't pay me.

well, maybe i'd take a trade for a NY ticket.

so you're discrediting my point based on whether or not a band meets your approval? You kinda come across as a music snob.

You can't deny that DMB is one of the biggest touring bands in the country over the last decade and that a free concert at central park was pretty cool for the fans.

yeah, that's ok. you can think what you want. when did i deny that DMB had a good tour draw?

you cited a one-off free show 8 years ago. good for you. the other example was flimsy at best.

this argument is going nowhere. you think Neil's a greedy arsewipe, and i feel he can charge what he wants to.

well, nobody would.

yeah, definitely an April 1st thing, but the kernels of truth are in there. at least from my perspective.

The argument is over chief, doesn't matter if it was 8 years ago or 20 years ago, point is, it does happen where big bands do free shows, so you're wrong, some people would!

actually, for all those NYC shows the bands get paid...i saw Sonic Youth for free last year in Brooklyn, and they didn't do it out of their own good will. same goes w/ the free shows @ Summerstage and the Brooklyn pool shows.

but hey, if you wanna take the 'win,' feel free to stock on those internet points. sounds like you need them.

actually, for all those NYC shows the bands get paid...i saw Sonic Youth for free last year in Brooklyn, and they didn't do it out of their own good will. same goes w/ the free shows @ Summerstage and the Brooklyn pool shows.

but hey, if you wanna take the 'win,' feel free to stock on those internet points. sounds like you need them.

"stock those internet points"? what does that even mean? We're talking about doing free shows from a fans perspective and nothing more. I didn't realize you were going to get all technical about what is considered free. If I go into a venue without paying and hear a band, I consider it free, i'm sorry if i over-simplified that concept.

"stock those internet points"? what does that even mean? We're talking about doing free shows from a fans perspective and nothing more. I didn't realize you were going to get all technical about what is considered free. If I go into a venue without paying and hear a band, I consider it free, i'm sorry if i over-simplified that concept.

someone's paying. that's the point. it's not like a one-off 'free' gig from a guy who sings like a hiccuping monkey suddenly qualifies him as philanthropist of the year.

look, i'm really sorry that you can't go see Neil, you can't sit in the luxury boxes for this weekend's Final 4, and you won't be having Wolfgang Puck cater your summer cookouts. sometimes life is unfair.

evidently that video was not supposed to posted. although it was on the official neil young youtube channel. anyway, the neil insider who posts on the rust list posted a cease and desist and threatened that the Treasure album may not be released because of this debacle. drama drama. and, who cares? there some good responses from folks about all the neil young BS through the years...this and ticket prices being only two.

what was the video content you were talking about?

you know what, i think i posted it here and now it's gone! or maybe i thought i posted it and didn't. anyway, it was a press release type video for the album A Treasure which is a live album from the international harvesters era. it had the setlist, cover art, live footage, etc.

I'd love to hear a tonight's the night era live album!

1973-11-16, Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

w/ The Santa Monica Flyers

Don't Be Denied / When You Dance I Can Really Love / Tonight's The Night / World On A String / New Mama / Roll Another Number / Tired Eyes / The Needle And The Damage Done / Ohio / Human Highway / Helpless / I Believe In You / Cinnamon Girl / Cowgirl In The Sand / The Losing End / Tonight's The Night

Absolutely no idea on how that show is performance wise, but setlist wise it'd be a cool release I think

evidently that video was not supposed to posted. although it was on the official neil young youtube channel. anyway, the neil insider who posts on the rust list posted a cease and desist and threatened that the Treasure album may not be released because of this debacle. drama drama. and, who cares? there some good responses from folks about all the neil young BS through the years...this and ticket prices being only two.

haha, wow, if that happens it will be sad. sounds kind of like a hissy fit from old neil if he does pull the plug