Buffalo Springfield are back:

Buffalo Springfield show review

I was watching some videos of their recent shows the other day. They sounded good, except Stephen Stills can't sing for shit anymore. That's a dam shame.

Stream of the album by way of Rolling Stone:

Click here to listen to Neil Young and the International Harvesters' A Treasure

I don't see myself buying this album.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching some videos of their recent shows the other day. They sounded good, except Stephen Stills can't sing for shit anymore. That's a dam shame.

Stream of the album by way of Rolling Stone:

Click here to listen to Neil Young and the International Harvesters' A Treasure

I don't see myself buying this album.

love the new album. got a cool shirt too. i think the springfield shows are sounding really good. stills can't sing, but he's doing okay. i hope they put out a nice live album from the tour.

c

An interview with Ritchie:

Exclusive: Buffalo Springfield to Launch 30-Date Tour This Fall

There have been other Buffalo Springfield reunions in the past. I think they are mentioned in the Shakey book.

Also - I thought for sure I read somewhere a few years ago that Ritchie had given up preaching to play music full time again.

Neil Young talks music and "A Treasure"...

Loved watching that. Interesting comments about Ben Keith and not playing those songs anymore. He also mentioned the 20 minute version of Down by the River which some have talked about in this thread. He says it was deliberately left of 'A Treasure' and should appear in the third volume of the Archives...whenever that may be. A good watch.

This reminds of that scene in Journey Through the Past where he walks in the record store and walks out with a Neil Young bootleg.

Neil Young Looks Back on 'Treasure,' Aims for 'Archives 2' Release in 2012

Neil Young says that his latest archival album, "A Treasure," will be the first of many similar projects that will use unauthorized video material to enhance and flesh out the music that's on those releases.

"Anything that anybody puts out there is fair game for me," Young tells Billboard.com. "I can now use and I will continue to use on all my 'Archives' projects from now on any defining performance from any (source) synced up to the sound that I like."

For the video component of "A Treasure" -- which documents his spirited 1984-85 tour in support of his country album, "Old Ways" -- Young used material shot by fans that he found on the Internet, syncing up the musical performances he selected from 85 concerts recorded during the tour. Some songs are incomplete and filled out with still photos or the album cover in lieu of live footage; others feature players different than those who are on the audio recording. But Young says he enjoyed the challenge of putting all that together.

• 2 weeks later...

been listening to the new album, a treasure. i was hoping it would blow me away. unfortunately, it's really corny. soul of a woman is probably one of the worst neil young tunes ever. amber jean and grey riders are good, but the rest is so samey. too bad.

been listening to the new album, a treasure. i was hoping it would blow me away. unfortunately, it's really corny. soul of a woman is probably one of the worst neil young tunes ever. amber jean and grey riders are good, but the rest is so samey. too bad.

Its far from my favourite period but, accepting the cornyness, I am enjoying the new one. Soul of a Woman is poor but, as you said, Grey Riders and Amber Jean are great. My favourite though is the version of Flying on the Ground. That is a great song.

I'm still to work out what we've got to look forward to if:

PS00: Sugar Mountain 1968)

PS01: Riverboat (1969)

PS02: Filmore (1970)

PS03: Massey Hall (1971)

PS04: ??

PS05: ??

PS06: ??

PS07: ??

PS08: ??

PS09: A Treasure (1985)

PS10: ??

PS11: ??

PS12: Dreamin' Man (1992)

Any takers?

I'm really enjoying this, not feeling the corny vibe, just good old country vibe. It has actually pushed me to go back and revisit old ways and the second half of hawks and doves. The playing on this album is so freaking tight, man that fiddle. I struggle at times with Neil from 1980 onward due to the decision making, it is hard to appreciate the second half of Hawks and Doves for what it is mixed with the first half of old singer songwriter tunes. Or the production of some the 80's albums got sucked into the crappy 80's production black hole. But this live record for me is great. Anytime I can listen to pretty straight forward country music from someone who I don't immediately want to knock upside the head is a plus. I love country music, I just hate what it tends to become and by whom it is presented. For me this is real fun.

Neil should release Time Fades Away (with no changes) as part of the performance series like ps 05 or something. That would be smart, according to me

I'm really enjoying this, not feeling the corny vibe, just good old country vibe. It has actually pushed me to go back and revisit old ways and the second half of hawks and doves. The playing on this album is so freaking tight, man that fiddle. I struggle at times with Neil from 1980 onward due to the decision making, it is hard to appreciate the second half of Hawks and Doves for what it is mixed with the first half of old singer songwriter tunes.

Hawks and Doves is a strange record. I've never given side two a chance so might go back and re-visit that. I do like some of those 80s records though. Trans is great, as is This Note's for You. There are even a couple of really great songs on Landing on Water (I love Touch the Night, even if it is a bit of a re-tread of Hurricane) but the production ruins them.

Hawks and Doves is a strange record. I've never given side two a chance so might go back and re-visit that. I do like some of those 80s records though. Trans is great, as is This Note's for You. There are even a couple of really great songs on Landing on Water (I love Touch the Night, even if it is a bit of a re-tread of Hurricane) but the production ruins them.

How is it possible that almost everyone (even the most reputable) got sucked into that crap 80's sound. I've heard theories about the impact of cocaine and all of that, but how can Neil Young go from making records that sound like Comes A Time for example, to some of that 80's sounding crap. Neil should do a series in his archives called the reproduced series to uncover some gems that are so easy to overlook. Who knows?

it's just got that slick country sound that i hope wouldn't be as obvious as it is on Old Ways. I like about half of it. Flying on the Ground is great. too much fiddle too.

Its far from my favourite period but, accepting the cornyness, I am enjoying the new one. Soul of a Woman is poor but, as you said, Grey Riders and Amber Jean are great. My favourite though is the version of Flying on the Ground. That is a great song.

I'm still to work out what we've got to look forward to if:

PS00: Sugar Mountain 1968)

PS01: Riverboat (1969)

PS02: Filmore (1970)

PS03: Massey Hall (1971)

PS04: ??

PS05: ??

PS06: ??

PS07: ??

PS08: ??

PS09: A Treasure (1985)

PS10: ??

PS11: ??

PS12: Dreamin' Man (1992)

Any takers?

a 76 crazy horse show has been discussed. probably a trans band tour or a solo trans tour set. i wish dreamin' man had more than just harvest moon live. i assume there will be more volumes after 12: 99 solo, 2001 crazy horse?

to tell you the truth, i'm kind of worn out with neil. he's been pumping out a lot of mediocre stuff since Silver and Gold. 2-3 releases a year! he's one of my favorites, but i think i need a break. i really wish these archive releases had everything...like this last one should have an example of all the tunes played on this tour and just be a document of that not just all of neil's corny honky tonk tunes.

How is it possible that almost everyone (even the most reputable) got sucked into that crap 80's sound. I've heard theories about the impact of cocaine and all of that, but how can Neil Young go from making records that sound like Comes A Time for example, to some of that 80's sounding crap. Neil should do a series in his archives called the reproduced series to uncover some gems that are so easy to overlook. Who knows?

that's one of my eternal questions. production values went from warm to shit by 1984. even the production on trans was so good. old ways and a treasure would have been masterful if neil had played them like neil and not like conway twitty. i have two theories about this. one is that artists from the 70s were just lucky they came up in a decade that had excellent production values. it was an accident. i'm amazed at how artists never think about production and how their albums sound. so, if neil young came of age in '85 for example, he would have that shitty 80s production because that's the way it was done. not thoughts about it. the other theory is that these guys actually thought it sounded good and only years later would it be seen as hideous. it's really sad. there's a lot of good music from that era that was ruined by production. interestingly, there were some well produced albums then. all minutemen albums sound warm and immediate. luckily some of this has come back in the last 20 years and bands like wilco actually think about how their records sound.

that's one of my eternal questions. production values went from warm to shit by 1984. even the production on trans was so good. old ways and a treasure would have been masterful if neil had played them like neil and not like conway twitty. i have two theories about this. one is that artists from the 70s were just lucky they came up in a decade that had excellent production values. it was an accident. i'm amazed at how artists never think about production and how their albums sound. so, if neil young came of age in '85 for example, he would have that shitty 80s production because that's the way it was done. not thoughts about it. the other theory is that these guys actually thought it sounded good and only years later would it be seen as hideous. it's really sad. there's a lot of good music from that era that was ruined by production. interestingly, there were some well produced albums then. all minutemen albums sound warm and immediate. luckily some of this has come back in the last 20 years and bands like wilco actually think about how their records sound.

There is a exception to the rule. His name is Tom Waits. His seventies album were great. His eighties albums were, if anything, even better.

There is a exception to the rule. His name is Tom Waits. His seventies album were great. His eighties albums were, if anything, even better.

you are so right. waits production has been timeless through out his career. i do like the recent albums.

I've been spending a lot of time with this album in the car and am loving it. "Flying on the Ground is Wrong" is one of the great songs I've heard in years. loveNeil with classic country players and sound.

As for bands being sucked into an '80s production, it could be like how disco affected everyone in the 70s, like Shakedown Street, I Was Made For Lovin You, and the Stones' Miss You.

a 76 crazy horse show has been discussed. probably a trans band tour or a solo trans tour set. i wish dreamin' man had more than just harvest moon live. i assume there will be more volumes after 12: 99 solo, 2001 crazy horse?

to tell you the truth, i'm kind of worn out with neil. he's been pumping out a lot of mediocre stuff since Silver and Gold. 2-3 releases a year! he's one of my favorites, but i think i need a break. i really wish these archive releases had everything...like this last one should have an example of all the tunes played on this tour and just be a document of that not just all of neil's corny honky tonk tunes.

My biggest concern with Neil is what I believe to be him diluting his reputation or not worrying about his legacy. Now all of that may mean jack shit to Neil (and I guess that is cool). But as a completist, it is hard to look at the albums from 1968-80 and then start seeing Life and Fork In The Road and Living With War. Road Rock Vol. 1 (which is now completely weird due to the PS series. there won't be vol. 2) if you know what I'm saying. Everything from 1980 on seems scattershot. I mean his legacy was freaking impeccable and now he puts out stuff like Fork In The Road with no hesitation. I guess this is my hang up, but some of this would be embarrassing to me.

My biggest concern with Neil is what I believe to be him diluting his reputation or not worrying about his legacy. Now all of that may mean jack shit to Neil (and I guess that is cool). But as a completist, it is hard to look at the albums from 1968-80 and then start seeing Life and Fork In The Road and Living With War. Road Rock Vol. 1 (which is now completely weird due to the PS series. there won't be vol. 2) if you know what I'm saying. Everything from 1980 on seems scattershot. I mean his legacy was freaking impeccable and now he puts out stuff like Fork In The Road with no hesitation. I guess this is my hang up, but some of this would be embarrassing to me.

Great points. I'd say most artists from that era went past their prime. Would've been better if Neil ended with live rust....then came back with ragged glory. Fork in the road was embarrassing.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like a lot of Neil's stuff from this decade. Greendale, Prairie Wind, and Living With War are just as good as anything he put out in the 70's, in my opinion. Living With War was the most emotional thing he's put out since Tonight's the Night, he's practically in tears on a few of the songs. I don't see how you couldn't appreciate that. I haven't heard this new recording yet but I'm looking forward to it since although it might not be his best period, it is certainly one of his most interesting and it sounds like he has a real solid group of musicians backing him on it.

Maybe I'm weird, but I like a lot of Neil's stuff from this decade. Greendale, Prairie Wind, and Living With War are just as good as anything he put out in the 70's, in my opinion. Living With War was the most emotional thing he's put out since Tonight's the Night, he's practically in tears on a few of the songs. I don't see how you couldn't appreciate that. I haven't heard this new recording yet but I'm looking forward to it since although it might not be his best period, it is certainly one of his most interesting and it sounds like he has a real solid group of musicians backing him on it.

you're not weird. neil has put out some great stuff these last 10 years. The Painter is a gem. my previous posts were being a bit reactionary. i just need to enjoy what i get from him. he does his own thing which is a blessing and a curse:)

btw-from a previous post, i'd love neil to take all of the landing on water tunes and do them solo acoustic. that would be so good.

btw-from a previous post, i'd love neil to take all of the landing on water tunes and do them solo acoustic. that would be so good.

That would be cool. There's also a couple of 'Life' which sound good solo acoustic; We Neve Dance and When Your Lonely Heart Breaks.