Groovy - gotta work that night, or I would try to join yous!

Maybe we can meet up again when I am up there this time.

I have not heard the new songs yet. I still refuse to pay for Mp3s. I am sure they are out there floating around.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard the new songs yet. I still refuse to pay for Mp3s. I am sure they are out there floating around.

The new songs are on YouTube.

I think I saw a Youtube link the other day - but they has been removed by the time I clicked on them.

i listened once and was not impressed. however, i heard a song off of snakes and arrows on pandora it really got me. so, i'm interested in the new tracks. however, i'm gonna wait for the album.

you know, they've put a few out since them...joke. :stunned

Pre-Exit Stage Left is my favorite Rush era, but there are a few albums that came after that that I really enjoy. Signals and Grace Under Pressure, mainly. It's a very different sound than their previous work. They've cited the Police and Talking Heads as huge influences on their work from that era.

Once they minimized their use of keyboards they turned into a hard rock band, almost to the point of being metal. To my ears, their music, and especially the lyrics, come across as overly serious now. A lot of the fun is gone from their music, and aside from a song here and there I haven't really enjoyed any of their albums since Hold Your Fire.

you know, they've put a few out since them...joke. :stunned

They sort of lost me with all the keyboards and synthesizers. I know they let that go of that some point.

I just don't feel the need to buy everything a band puts out anymore.

I wonder if they will end up using backing tapes this time around. All the Moving Pictures tracks have something going on - outside of guitar/bass/drums. I know in the past that Geddy did the keyboards live, and/or used foot pedals while playing bass. It seems like a lot for him to do. Maybe they will go really old school, and have a keyboard player hidden behind some scenery.

I suppose when I think of Rush, I think of the live 2112 suite from All The World's A Stage. That shit is rocking.

Also - I have developed a fondness for Hemispheres and Permanent Waves over the last few years.

And - I still think the speed of Fly By Night is too fast. At least, it sounds that way to me.

Pre-Exit Stage Left is my favorite Rush era, but there are a few albums that came after that that I really enjoy. Signals and Grace Under Pressure, mainly. It's a very different sound than their previous work. They've cited the Police and Talking Heads as huge influences on their work from that era.

Once they minimized their use of keyboards they turned into a hard rock band, almost to the point of being metal. To my ears, their music, and especially the lyrics, come across as overly serious now. A lot of the fun is gone from their music, and aside from a song here and there I haven't really enjoyed any of their albums since Hold Your Fire.

it's funny, if i want to hear 'that 80s sound' i'll put on hold your fire or power windows. totally encapsulates that sound. they are an interesting band that def has it's eras. some good, some bad. the last two 90s albums totally sound like 90s alternative and the two this last decade sound like math rock...nu rock...whatever. i think the reason the songs are touch and go these days is that they don't write together any more and just construct songs out of riffs and jams they record. you can totally tell when you compare an intentionally written tune like Tom Sawyer with riffs and hooks to something off the last album. not to mention, would it kill them to write a song with some major chords in it. sheesh. the last 4 albums seem to be all this drop D minor riffs.

They sort of lost me with all the keyboards and synthesizers. I know they let that go of that some point.

I just don't feel the need to buy everything a band puts out anymore.

I wonder if they will end up using backing tapes this time around. All the Moving Pictures tracks have something going on - outside of guitar/bass/drums. I know in the past that Geddy did the keyboards live, and/or used foot pedals while playing bass. It seems like a lot for him to do. Maybe they will go really old school, and have a keyboard player hidden behind some scenery.

I suppose when I think of Rush, I think of the live 2112 suite from All The World's A Stage. That shit is rocking.

Also - I have developed a fondness for Hemispheres and Permanent Waves over the last few years.

And - I still think the speed of Fly By Night is too fast. At least, it sounds that way to me.

I can agree with almost everything you've said in this post. I bought 'em all up through Grace Under Prssure, and other than Different Stages ( mostly for the Hammersmith '78 disc) I haven't bought any since.

For me, the best LP in the catalog is Farewell To Kings. It's the perfect combination of Prog and hard rock. After that you can hear them getting slicker and slicker as time goes by. Nothing wrong with that - hell, "La Villa Strangiato" is one of the best things they've ever done imo, but things got more and more concise from that point on.

The '80 Permanent Waves tour had it all - By-Tor > Xanadu, and Cygnus X1 > Hemispheres was just some of the best live music I've ever heard.

Moving Pictures Tour '81 was memorable for many reasons as well. For one, I got as psychedelicized as I've ever been in public in my whole life :lol , and secondly the opening band was Max Webster (whose LP "Universal Juviniles" was a BIG record for my crew then). When MW played "Battlescar" Rush (all of them)came out and sat in on the tune, and Geddy wore a Ronald Reagan mask! Wierd to think that just a week or two later Ray-Gun was shot.

I can agree with almost everything you've said in this post. I bought 'em all up through Grace Under Prssure, and other than Different Stages ( mostly for the Hammersmith '78 disc) I haven't bought any since.

For me, the best LP in the catalog is Farewell To Kings. It's the perfect combination of Prog and hard rock. After that you can hear them getting slicker and slicker as time goes by. Nothing wrong with that - hell, "La Villa Strangiato" is one of the best things they've ever done imo, but things got more and more concise from that point on.

The '80 Permanent Waves tour had it all - By-Tor > Xanadu, and Cygnus X1 > Hemispheres was just some of the best live music I've ever heard.

Moving Pictures Tour '81 was memorable for many reasons as well. For one, I got as psychedelicized as I've ever been in public in my whole life :lol , and secondly the opening band was Max Webster (whose LP "Universal Juviniles" was a BIG record for my crew then). When MW played "Battlescar" Rush (all of them)came out and sat in on the tune, and Geddy wore a Ronald Reagan mask! Wierd to think that just a week or two later Ray-Gun was shot.

It's hard to believe there was a time when they had an opening band.

But - of course they did.

I think slick is a good word to use. I like Moving Pictures ok, but the sound is so sterile.

I've said this before - but I have an original pressing of All The World's A Stage. That is really a nice package - with all the photos.

Also - the very first Rush album I ever owned was the first one on cassette. On the tape I have, the end of Working Man cuts off, and for years I thought that was how the song ended.

I think slick is a good word to use. I like Moving Pictures ok, but the sound is so sterile.

I've said this before - but I have an original pressing of All The World's A Stage. That is really a nice package - with all the photos.

Also - the very first Rush album I ever owned was the first one on cassette. On the tape I have, the end of Working Man cuts off, and for years I thought that was how the song ended.

that's hilarious about the tape! i'm sure we all have stories like that:)

listened to test for echo last night. not to bad with a bit of attention. i'm bound an determined to digest EVERYTHING from my favorite artists. many of whom seem to be canadian. :monkey

From what I have read, Neil sends lyrics to Geddy and Alex, and then they write the music. Neil lives a very separate life from them - so maybe that has something to do with it.

yeah, neal lives LA while alex and geddy live in toronto i think.

there was mention on the rushisaband blog that along with the new album there will be a reissue series. seems like they already did this. wonder if they'll remaster anything or remix anything. i'd love to hear some of the late 80s and early 90s stuff remixed like pearl jam 10. wonder if we'll get bonus tracks. do they have any unreleased tunes?

I remember when Signals first came out I absolutely hated it. Now I love that album. RUSH was always like that for me starting with that album. I never liked the new stuff when it first came out, then I would try again a year or 2 later and enjoy it way more. I remember seeing them debut Limelight and Tom Sawyer on SCTV and loving that stuff immediately. Certainly after the mid 80's I lost my fervor for them although they did put out good stuff through the 90's as well. I really have not listened to anything they put out since 1996 althought I'm sure I would probably like some of it.

yeah, neal lives LA while alex and geddy live in toronto i think.

there was mention on the rushisaband blog that along with the new album there will be a reissue series. seems like they already did this. wonder if they'll remaster anything or remix anything. i'd love to hear some of the late 80s and early 90s stuff remixed like pearl jam 10. wonder if we'll get bonus tracks. do they have any unreleased tunes?

I saw that. Geddy has always said they have no "bonus tracks" to put out. He claims there are no unreleased Rush songs.

I am not going to buy them again unless there is some great improvement in sound - such as HDCD.

I saw that. Geddy has always said they have no "bonus tracks" to put out. He claims there are no unreleased Rush songs.

I am not going to buy them again unless there is some great improvement in sound - such as HDCD.

i even thought the initial releases were not that bad.

i even thought the initial releases were not that bad.

I have the ones that were re-done however many years ago. I actually bought:

Rush (1974)

Fly by Night (1975)

Caress of Steel (1975)

2112 (1976)

All the World's a Stage (1976)

A Farewell to Kings (1977)

Hemispheres (1978)

Permanent Waves (1980)

Moving Pictures (1981)

Exit Stage Left (1981)

all at the same time. The dude who use to own the record store here sold all of them to me for 8 bucks new. The good old days.

Rush (1974)

Fly By Night (1975)

Caress of Steel (1975)

2112 (1976)

All The World's A Stage (1976)

A Farewell To Kings (1977)

Hemispheres (1978)

Permanent Waves (1980)

Moving Pictures (1981)

Exit... Stage Left (1981)

Signals (1982)

Grace Under Pressure (1984)

Power Windows (1985)

Hold Your Fire (1987)

A Show of Hands (1989)

Presto (1989)

Roll The Bones (1991)

Counterparts (1993)

Test For Echo (1996)

Different Stages(1998)

Vapor Trails (2002)

Feedback (EP) (2004)

Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Snakes & Arrows (Live) (2008)

Clockwork Angels (2011)

I have the ones that were re-done however many years ago. I actually bought:

all at the same time. The dude who use to own the record store here sold all of them to me for 8 bucks new. The good old days.

Rush (1974)

Fly By Night (1975)

Caress of Steel (1975)

2112 (1976)

All The World's A Stage (1976)

A Farewell To Kings (1977)

Hemispheres (1978)

Permanent Waves (1980)

Moving Pictures (1981)

Exit... Stage Left (1981)

Signals (1982)

Grace Under Pressure (1984)

Power Windows (1985)

Hold Your Fire (1987)

A Show of Hands (1989)

Presto (1989)

Roll The Bones (1991)

Counterparts (1993)

Test For Echo (1996)

Different Stages(1998)

Vapor Trails (2002)

Feedback (EP) (2004)

Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Clockwork Angels (2011)

i think they put out Snakes and Arrows Live in '08 or '09. not sure.

I know a lot of people got into the band by way of Chronicles.

Rush Through Time (1978)

Archives (1978)

Chronicles (1990)

Retrospective 1 (1997)

Retrospective 2 (1997)

The Spirit of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974–1987 (2003)

Gold (2006)

Retrospective 3 (2009)

Working Men (2009)

I know a lot of people got into the band by way of Chronicles.

yeah, chronicles was a cool comp when it came out. i might need to pick up retro 3 as it has some of the latter day stuff re-mastered. specifically stuff from vapor trails. as with a lot of bands in the last 30 years (excluding a few like Wilco) production is the problem. i think jim o'rourke needs to produce the next rush album. warm up front drums, phat bass, and maybe just two guitar tracks. ahh, heaven.

I believe they are staying with the guy who did their last album.

I have read a lot of complaints about the sound of Vapor Trails over the years. I have never really heard it - except for a song or two.

I only saw them once when they had an opener. It was Mr. Big, and it was the now legendary show where their guitarist, Paul Gilbert got his hair caught in a power drill he was using for rapid fire guitar pyrotechnics ( :rock :omg ) and had to leave the stage.

http://www.truthinshredding.com/2009/08/paul-gilbert-drills-can-be-dangerous.html