I think he has changed somewhat over the last few years. Maybe I just got somewhat of a bad view of him from reading to much into some things he has written over the years.

Or maybe not. He has his flaws, for sure. Perhaps he's more comfortable revealing them in his writing (with some distance and control) vs. up close and personal.

I would not want to meet Neil Young, either (as much as I love him).

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LIES! :lol

Or maybe not. He has his flaws, for sure. Perhaps he's more comfortable revealing them in his writing (with some distance and control) vs. up close and personal.

Good point - I think of that every time I read Shakey.

(My tickets arrived in the mail today. Considering how much they cost, they should have been wrapped in gold.)

They sort of lost me with all the keyboards and synthesizers. I know they let that go of that some point.

Yeah, that happened to me too. I really didn't get back to listening to them until they put out that Feedback EP and the last album. I really enjoyed those and the new songs, from what I have heard, are excellent too.

I have seen Eric Johnson live several times, makes me want to quit playing every time he is so good. Were you the guitar player in the band? I have been playing for 25 years and would still never attempt Zap or Cliffs of Dover. Impressive.

No, I was the drummer. For a drummer, Zap is the easiest to play out of those tunes. I was probably the weak link in the band, but I was pretty good at the time. The guitarist was an amazing player. He's even better now. I still get to jam with him a few times a year, although we haven't attempted any of those songs. Next time we'll have to dust those off.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bravewords.com/news/140627

VH1 Rock Docs - RUSH: Beyond The Lighted Stage Premieres Saturday, June 26th On VH1, VH1 Classic, Palladia

VH1 Rock Docs presents the world television premiere of the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival Audience Choice Award documentary, RUSH: Beyond The Lighted Stage, premiering on VH1, VH1 Classic, and Palladia on Saturday, June 26th at 9 PM (ET/PT).

This new documentary gives a comprehensive exploration of the history of legendary Canadian power trio Rush (Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart) – from their early days growing up in the suburbs of Toronto, through their landmark albums and tours, and finishing with them in the present day.

Directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn (Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey, Iron Maiden: Flight 666) tell us the story of the band by combining extremely rare and never-before-seen interviews with current interviews from some of the band's admirers and contemporaries.

These interviews include Gene Simmons (KISS), Billy Corgan (SMASHING PUMPKINS), Trent Reznor (NINE INCH NAILS), Taylor Hawkins (FOO FIGHTERS), Kirk Hammett (METALLICA) Sebastian Bach (SKID ROW), Jack Black, and many more.

VH1 Rock Docs - RUSH: Beyond The Lighted Stage Premieres Saturday, June 26th On VH1, VH1 Classic, Palladia

VH1 Rock Docs presents the world television premiere of the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival Audience Choice Award documentary, RUSH: Beyond The Lighted Stage, premiering on VH1, VH1 Classic, and Palladia on Saturday, June 26th at 9 PM (ET/PT).

This new documentary gives a comprehensive exploration of the history of legendary Canadian power trio Rush (Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart) – from their early days growing up in the suburbs of Toronto, through their landmark albums and tours, and finishing with them in the present day.

Directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn (Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey, Iron Maiden: Flight 666) tell us the story of the band by combining extremely rare and never-before-seen interviews with current interviews from some of the band's admirers and contemporaries.

These interviews include Gene Simmons (KISS), Billy Corgan (SMASHING PUMPKINS), Trent Reznor (NINE INCH NAILS), Taylor Hawkins (FOO FIGHTERS), Kirk Hammett (METALLICA) Sebastian Bach (SKID ROW), Jack Black, and many more.

can't wait to see this.

DVR, set.

The Rush documentary was really well done. Tons of great footage I've never seen.

The footage of Alex Lifeson as a teenager debating with his parents about staying in school vs. playing full time in a band...how is it possible that a multi-camera video of such an event exists?

Some of the stuff they dug up for this documentary is just crazy.

The Rush documentary was really well done. Tons of great footage I've never seen.

The footage of Alex Lifeson as a teenager debating with his parents about staying in school vs. playing full time in a band...how is it possible that a multi-camera video of such an event exists?

Some of the stuff they dug up for this documentary is just crazy.

Watched this yesterday. I was totally blown away by that footage from Alex's kitchen. Amazing. And some of the old 8MM stuff and the high school cafeteria clips. The photos of Geddy in the synagogue and Neil working at his dad's shop were great too. I enjoyed some of Billy Corgan's commentary, but Jack Black came off sounding like a douchebag. And they glossed over the period that I first came to enjoy the band, The Roll The Bones album and tour. Felt like they jumped from Power Windows, briefly mentioned Presto, then right to Counterparts.

Watched this yesterday. I was totally blown away by that footage from Alex's kitchen. Amazing. And some of the old 8MM stuff and the high school cafeteria clips. The photos of Geddy in the synagogue and Neil working at his dad's shop were great too. I enjoyed some of Billy Corgan's commentary, but Jack Black came off sounding like a douchebag. And they glossed over the period that I first came to enjoy the band, The Roll The Bones album and tour. Felt like they jumped from Power Windows, briefly mentioned Presto, then right to Counterparts.

The Alex scene is from this film:

Come on Children (1973)

I would like to have seen more Sebastian Bach and Les Claypool.

And they glossed over the period that I first came to enjoy the band, The Roll The Bones album and tour. Felt like they jumped from Power Windows, briefly mentioned Presto, then right to Counterparts.

Yeah, once they got to 2112 they started fast-forwarding through, or ignoring, a lot of albums. I would have liked for them to cover the A Farewell to Kings album, but it was only mentioned as a footnote to Hemispheres.

Roll The Bones would have been worth inclusion if for no other reason than the fact that it has rapping on it.

My interest in Rush lies mostly in their early career, so I found the film satisfying overall. The film sort of followed the same pacing as a lot of music biographies I've read, in that a lot of time was spent on early stuff, and then they find themselves with 40 or 50 pages left to cover 20+ years worth of info.

The Alex scene is from this film:

Come on Children (1973)

Have you seen that? It sounds like an interesting film. Netflix doesn't have it. Maybe it's on Youtube.

I think some more albums will be covered on the bonus disc that comes with the dvd.

You're probably right. I'm sure there'll be lots of good bonus material. Even though they skipped a lot, I can't think of anything in the film that they could have cut to make room for things that were left out.

Yeah, once they got to 2112 they started fast-forwarding through, or ignoring, a lot of albums. I would have liked for them to cover the A Farewell to Kings album, but it was only mentioned as a footnote to Hemispheres.

Roll The Bones would have been worth inclusion if for no other reason than the fact that it has rapping on it.

My interest in Rush lies mostly in their early career, so I found the film satisfying overall. The film sort of followed the same pacing as a lot of music biographies I've read, in that a lot of time was spent on early stuff, and then they find themselves with 40 or 50 pages left to cover 20+ years worth of info.

Roll the bones probably has their last good song, 'dreamline'. it's funny with all the old bands. they seem to follow a pattern of 5-7 years of utter genious then they spend the next 30-40 putting out mostly crap. rush and yes come to mind. now i don't blame them for 80s stuff, because, hey, it was the 80s. i'm really surprised some of these bands haven't tried to put out an album that actually 'sounds' like their old stuff, with out trying to sound like their old stuff. oh well.

I think the last few albums (from what I have heard) were more guitar based. There were rumors that the last album was going to be a concept album "like the old days", but I knew that would not happen.

I think it was Neil that said in one of his books, that bands use to tour so people would buy their records, and thus, they would make money from record sales. Now, they tour to make money. I think it also interesting to note that they don't have any tour sponsorship that I know of. So, they must be putting out quite a bit of money just to put the show on from night to night. I believe on this tour we are going to see a Steam punk designed stage show.

It was interesting to see Alex voice his displeasure of the keyboard and electronic based music.

I detest the sound of electronic drums with a passion - but I guess I am going to get to hear Neil play such things on this tour.

I think the last few albums (from what I have heard) were more guitar based. There were rumors that the last album was going to be a concept album "like the old days", but I knew that would not happen.

I think it was Neil that said in one of his books, that bands use to tour so people would buy their records, and thus, they would make money from record sales. Now, they tour to make money. I think it also interesting to note that they don't have any tour sponsorship that I know of. So, they must be putting out quite a bit of money just to put the show on from night to night. I believe on this tour we are going to see a Steam punk designed stage show.

It was interesting to see Alex voice his displeasure of the keyboard and electronic based music.

I detest the sound of electronic drums with a passion - but I guess I am going to get to hear Neil play such things on this tour.

does he still play those drums?

anyway, the synths were used quite nicely in the 70s up to 82. rush specifically was very intentional about embellishing the music just a little bit with some moog or arp. it all got bad with digital synth, glossy huge production, and songs completely based on synths. again, power windows up through roll the bones would have been incredible albums had they 'sounded' like moving pictures.

does he still play those drums?

anyway, the synths were used quite nicely in the 70s up to 82. rush specifically was very intentional about embellishing the music just a little bit with some moog or arp. it all got bad with digital synth, glossy huge production, and songs completely based on synths. again, power windows up through roll the bones would have been incredible albums had they 'sounded' like moving pictures.

I have read some things that suggested he will be using them for some songs.

I think that is really what I mean - that "80s" sound. It is just too sterile sounding for my taste. I am not even that crazy about Moving Pictures. But - they did want they wanted to do.

I believe the set list has already been posted online, but I don't want to know, so I am going to try and avoid it.

It would be nice if they played different songs every night, but they are just not that sort of band. I have to accept that I suppose.

I think that is really what I mean - that "80s" sound. It is just too sterile sounding for my taste. I am not even that crazy about Moving Pictures. But - they did want they wanted to do.

I believe the set list has already been posted online, but I don't want to know, so I am going to try and avoid it.

It would be nice if they played different songs every night, but they are just not that sort of band. I have to accept that I suppose.

Neil will undoubtedly use some 'electronica' on his percussion. I detest it with a passion as well, but with people like him and Bill Bruford it's done as tastefully as can be.

I really wasn't a fan of Moving Pictures when it came out - Permanent Waves is MUCH stronger imo, but I'm in the minority there.

And as far as mixing up the sets - not unlike a Floyd show there's just no way to do that. The synchroniztion of the multi-media extravaganza makes that an impossibility. Hell, I'd love it if EVERY band I like would mix it up ala Phish or The Dead but unfortunately that's not the world I live in. Sigh.

Good idear not to look at the setlist. The element of surprise is one of the best things about going to shows. Have fun!

Neil will undoubtedly use some 'electronica' on his percussion. I detest it with a passion as well, but with people like him and Bill Bruford it's done as tastefully as can be.

I really wasn't a fan of Moving Pictures when it came out - Permanent Waves is MUCH stronger imo, but I'm in the minority there.

And as far as mixing up the sets - not unlike a Floyd show there's just no way to do that. The synchroniztion of the multi-media extravaganza makes that an impossibility. Hell, I'd love it if EVERY band I like would mix it up ala Phish or The Dead but unfortunately that's not the world I live in. Sigh.

Good idear not to look at the setlist. The element of surprise is one of the best things about going to shows. Have fun!

I think that is it really. I think this stage show is going to be pretty cool. I don't think I have ever really been to a concert where things like you mentioned were going on. It will be a new experience for me.

that would be cool, but difficult for them as they have a lot of tracked stuff they play with. it must be a nightmare pulling that shit together, especially with the multitracked 80s stuff. i'd love to hear a few rare tracks off each album.

the thing is, rush could be like phish or dead and mix things up. just get rid of all the tracks and shit. just play guitar bass and drums with a few bass pedals and analog synth sounds. that would be badass.

^ Well of course the hardcore fans would eat that shit up. I know I would. But I know there's no argument that This band gives you your money's worth. Like I said a few pages ago I've seen them at least for 8-10 tours and I've NEVER been anything but pleased with what I heard. It's just not the kind of thing I'd follow all across the country (not a bad thing :D ).

edit: In all honesty all of us should feel really blessed (I know I do) that we have a band here that has stayed together and consistently delivered quality music and stellar musicianship for nearly 40 years. These guys are such an integral part of my musical life that I'd really hate to think of life with no Rush.