It use to be you could find some of those on Youtube. The last time I went to watch the Machine Head episode, the audio track had been replaced with classical music.

I have read about the Rush episodes, but I have not seen them.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had several rush stages with the classic albums. my first show was presto. i'm kind of revisiting the classic stuff and will then dive into power windows and hold your fire with more attention. there's got to be some good stuff there. for some reason hold your fire seems to be more memorable to me b/c of the singe and force ten. however, i couldn't hum one tune from power windows.

btw-the first album is great. it's kind of in a category all its own. it's a competent 70s hard rock album as far as i'm concerned. it's funny to me that rush classic rock staples are working man then spirit of radio and tom sawyer.

right, you know live you're guaranteed to get TSOR and TS, it's a lock... early on in the Presto tour, they had dropped TSOR (played it every tour since Permanent Waves came out) but mid-tour they began encoring with it (early tour first encore was The Big Money)... i think that's the closest they came to veering away from trotting out ALL the classics on a given tour.

i doubt they'll ever do a rarities show but if they did i'd probably do backflips (and i mean a setlist like A Farewell To Kings, Lessons, Making Memories, Cinderella Man)... they seriously should do a show like that, with the first set being all go-to songs, get the meatheads out of there early, then reward the sophisticated ears.

all chest-puffing aside, my first concert wasn't until the Power Windows tour (i believe that was the last tour where people 'camped out' overnight for tickets, an era long past us) but i think the first songs that hooked me in middle school were Closer To The Heart then Freewill, then Limelight -- those same songs i claim to be passe'.

one thing i'll give Rush credit for in their more recent tours is how they've gone away from the corny medleys they fell back on for years (R30 intro excluded because that was fuckin' great) and instead play entire songs during encores (A Passage To Bangkok; La Villa, Working Man).

my best guess is that next tour will be another LP-length set -- 2112 most likely. (which means i'll get the tune "Lessons" then?), though a more logical/easier on their age choice might be Permanent Waves as they've already played it all live except for Different Strings.

I wish they'd drop this song and Working Man. They've both become bathroom/beer break songs.

i was late getting to Shoreline and didn't care all that much when i missed TSOR... Working Man i'm cool with because i never caught it before and they cut loose.. was so irie'd up the reggae intro was a'ight by me.

i was late getting to Shoreline and didn't care all that much when i missed TSOR... Working Man i'm cool with because i never caught it before and they cut loose.. was so irie'd up the reggae intro was a'ight by me.

Both those songs are cool, I've just seen them play those every time I've seen them (except I don't recall them playing Working Man on the Presto tour) and I'm burned out on them. Other songs that they play every time seem to have a little more staying power.

Presto tour was great, back before the days of Internet spoilers, i thought for sure i was getting another TSOR opener but instead got hit with Force Ten.

the current and last tour's show openers have been ho-hum but i really liked hearing Limelight following YYZ, just like on the LP.

i feel the same way about Overture>Temples of Syrinx that you do about Working Man... out of the tours i have attended, i think there was only one year where they didn't go to the well, again. (technically two tours, leg 1 of S&A they were alternating Summertime Blues/DEW).

when they brought back Overture>Temples for leg 2 i felt like leaving... i hate to use the word ubiquitous because i sound like some hump but j.h. christ.

good thing my leg 2 ticket was a comp -- those shows were a total downgrade, essentially they swapped out Entre Nous, Secret Touch, Circumstances, and DEW for A Ghost Of A Chance (i like it a lot but why not have replaced The Larger Bowl instead?), The Trees (ditto but have seen it often) and Overture>Temples.

• 4 months later...

Rush 2011 Tour Dates

I watched the 2112 and Moving Pictures Classic Albums documentary on Youtube yesterday. It was really good.

i wonder if the setlist will change. they are playing different venues so probably not. i can see them dropping the snakes and arrows tunes and putting in the trees and/or another standard like dreamline. the second date is 5 hours from me in my brother's town. i may go.

I watched the 2112 and Moving Pictures Classic Albums documentary on Youtube yesterday. It was really good.

I might have to do this. I love the Classic Albums series, and I wanted to get it from Netflix, but they still don't have it, and don't know when they'll get it. I think Netflix is walking a tight rope right now, and they're making some dangerous mistakes.

doubt much change in setlist...they have been pretty consistant with them but who knows maybe they will go crazy and make a change or too.

They are getting a little expensive with the new pricing. I am going to have to spend $175 for a decent seat in Ft. Lauderdale.

I might have to do this. I love the Classic Albums series, and I wanted to get it from Netflix, but they still don't have it, and don't know when they'll get it. I think Netflix is walking a tight rope right now, and they're making some dangerous mistakes.

AMan got me into this too. i've watched a bit on 2112. streaming is jacked up a bit. i've never really gotten the whole 'story' behind 2112, so that is cool. also, Ged's characterizing Rand's work as a template for art was refreshing. i have severe reactions to her. i don't care for the lyrics of Anthem. putting down 'bleeding hearts' etc. :brow

now, jff, netflix is kind of blowing. i recently went back after a year off and it is just a mess. especially the stuff that is randomly taken off streaming. it's similar to music. there is not one stop shop for streaming or downloads. no one has full catalogs. guess it's back to buying stuff i really want to hear/see.

watched the classic albums. pretty cool. i wish they'd discussed vital signs and the Fear suite. i'm curious about that. also came across some of the extras from the documentary. one was what the guys do on tour to not go crazy. so boring :) they show ged's baseball collection which is ridiculous. he's obviously bored with his money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mzkaSyv_8&feature=related

making of snakes and arrows. pretty neat. funny how ged says at the beginning that they wanted to get the best drum sound 'ever' on this album. so ironic. his drums haven't sound that great on an album since signals. neat video though.

watched the classic albums. pretty cool. i wish they'd discussed vital signs and the Fear suite. i'm curious about that.

Me too. Why not discuss the one song on the album that has a drastically different sound than the rest of the album, and explain WHY they decided to switch gears?

I've gotta say, this was one of the least interesting Classic Album episodes I've seen. That's partially because I already knew 80+% of what they covered, but there are other reasons for it. For instance, other episodes tend to cover every song from an album. This one did not do that. It mostly only covered their best known songs, which 95% of Rush fans know all about.

Another problem I had was when Terry Brown would bring out things in the mix, like the sound of puffing a joint during Passage to Bangkok, he didn't follow that up by playing it in context. He did that three or four times, like with the car sound at the beginning of the guitar solo of Red Barchetta. In other episiodes, when they do that that usually let you hear it in context.

And YYZ being pronounced Y Y Zed? WTF? :lol

Overall, this was a doc for the non-fans.

Me too. Why not discuss the one song on the album that has a drastically different sound than the rest of the album, and explain WHY they decided to switch gears?

I've gotta say, this was one of the least interesting Classic Album episodes I've seen. That's partially because I already knew 80+% of what they covered, but there are other reasons for it. For instance, other episodes tend to cover every song from an album. This one did not do that. It mostly only covered their best known songs, which 95% of Rush fans know all about.

Another problem I had was when Terry Brown would bring out things in the mix, like the sound of puffing a joint during Passage to Bangkok, he didn't follow that up by playing it in context. He did that three or four times, like with the car sound at the beginning of the guitar solo of Red Barchetta. In other episiodes, when they do that that usually let you hear it in context.

And YYZ being pronounced Y Y Zed? WTF? :lol

Overall, this was a doc for the non-fans.

right. even talking abt witch hunt or at least camera eye would've been cool. camera eye is kind of a bookend as it's the last long tune they wrote. oh well, it was fun, but boring and nothing new. now, watching the snakes and arrows doc it's clear the boys have very little idea of production and mastering. i'd just love to hear them dry in a room play all those songs. i'm sure it would be so much better.

YYZED!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2mzkaSyv_8&feature=related

making of snakes and arrows. pretty neat. funny how ged says at the beginning that they wanted to get the best drum sound 'ever' on this album. so ironic. his drums haven't sound that great on an album since signals. neat video though.

at the end of this alex is playing and awesome little jig on a twelve string acoustic. if they would drop that into the middle of a new song the fans would go apeshit. it's like they don't feel like they have to prove themselves anymore. oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
30 years ago today on February 12, 1981 Rush released their 8th and most commercially successful studio album, Moving Pictures.

I remember getting the album when it came out.

Now that can make a dude feel old.

I remember getting the album when it came out.

Now that can make a dude feel old.

they were huge. we had a maroon kick ball we played with that had RUSH written on one side and YYZ on the other. good times. too bad the rest of the 80s weren't half as stellar as the first few years.

• 7 months later...

For those that have the channel -

VH1 Classic Celebrates 24-hours of "RUSH Hashanah"Wednesday, September 28 at 7PM ET/PT

World Premiere of "Rush: Time Machine" Wednesday, September 28 at 8 PM ET/PT

NEW YORK, NY - September 22, 2011 - VH1 Classic is once again ringing in the Jewish New Year with a 24-hour marathon of Canada's greatest music export, Rush. "Rush Hashanah" begins Wednesday, September 28 at 7PM* and features the world premiere of "Rush: Time Machine." Live from Cleveland, "Rush: Time Machine" delivers the first live performance of the entire "Moving Pictures" album and other fan favorites from their many celebrated albums. The Rush extravaganza will include unforgettable concerts, performances and a behind-the-scenes look into the phenomenal 40-year career.

Beginning Wednesday, September 28 at 7 PM* and ending on Thursday, September 29 at 7PM* the Rush takeover on VH1 Classic will give viewers the opportunity to immerse themselves in all things Rush. With a glimpse into the renowned band's life with the award-winning VH1 Rock Doc "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage" and Classic Albums "2112" and "Moving Pictures," there is no portion of Rush's legacy that will go unseen. Relive throwback hits with memorable concerts including the world premiere of "Rush: Time Machine" and other hit concerts including "Rush in Rio" and "R30." Additional information for "Rush Hashanah" below:

Classic Albums: Rush "2112" & "Moving Pictures" premieres Wednesday, September 28 at 7PM ET/PT

The story of the making of two of Rush's greatest albums.

"Rush: Time Machine" premieres Wednesday, September 28 at 8PM ET/PT

Filmed in Cleveland in April 2011, the "Time Machine" tour was an evening with Rush, where the band performed new songs, classic hits and, for the first time ever, performed the "Moving Pictures" album in its entirety.

"Rock Doc: Rush- Beyond The Lighted Stage" premieres Wednesday, September 28 at 10:30PM ET/PT

Rock Doc: Rush - Beyond The Lighted Stage - Regarded as the world's biggest cult band, Beyond the Lighted Stage explores the phenomenon behind the forty-year career of the legendary rock group Rush. Features never-before-seen archival footage and interviews with the band.

Classic in Concert: Rush: R30 premieres Thursday, September 29 at 1AM ET/PT

Rush performs live on September 24, 2004 in Frankfurt, Germany.

Classic in Concert: Rush In Rio premieres Thursday, September 29 at 12PM ET/PT

Taped in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on the final night of Rush's 2002 Vapor Trails Tour.

i'm curious to know why "time machine" was filmed in cleveland? just interesting to see what cities are picked over others... motley crue filming a dvd in grand rapids, nine inch nails in oklahoma city and el paso...

Tax incentives? That was just a wild guess. Actually, there's this:

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2011/04/for_rock_power_trio_rush_cleve.html