Guest Speed Racer

and as a side point, to further derail this thread from its intended topic (sorry, OP): does a female character have to "stand alone" to be an important or inspiring character? this seems kind of short-sighted and perhaps stereotyping from another angle.

Oh, absolutely not - I think that Clarice, for instance, is a very strong woman. However, I think we see a lot of films with men who are standalone-strong, and strong women in film frequently tend to have mentors. I'm not saying I want Title IX style equity, and on an entertainment level I don't think it gets in the way of my enjoyment of film too much, but I do think it's a valid observation.

I'm just glad that there is a finally a movie out this year that looks like it's worth seeing.

And if Toy Story 3 is as good as the initial reports say, I have no problem putting the trilogy at or very near the top of the all-time list.

To me, the peak moment of the Toy Story movies....and a peak moment in movies perios...was in Toy Story 1 when Buzz walks into a room and sees a commercial selling toys of him. His realization that he IS just a toy, with Randy Newman's accompanying brilliant tune, is a powerful and amazing sequence.

I'd also add Sergio Leone's "Dollars Trilogy/The Man with No Name Trilogy" and Fassbinder's "BRD Trilogy" to the small pile of great trilogies mentioned already.

LOVED this film. Somehow Sunday became Toy Story day for me. I DVRed the 1st 2 over the last couple of weeks and finally put aside some time late afternoon to watch them and it didn't take that long to get through. Just shy of 3 hours.

A close friend of mine told me that he'd be managing at a different theater. I ended up seeing the 3D version because the 2D began earlier and there was an "IMAX" version later on. I am dragging this out because I felt no need really to enjoy this film in 3D. Most Pixar films already look 3D with their spatial looking animation. There were a few chase scenes etc. that really were made for 3D, but mostly everything else was very subtle.

Back to the vibe in the room: lots of chit chatting. Laughing. Cell phones going off. I was getting pissed. I thought that there would be a problem throughout the film due to this being a 10:45 showing on a Sunday night and most people were just in there to hang out with nothing else to do and nowhere else to go. That all changed when the film began. It was deafening silence. It was like being in school on a field trip to a movie and then everyone got quiet to pay attention to what was going on in the screen. How sweet it is to have a 24 frames per second time machine?

The film: Well, I don't want to spoil much because no one on here discussed the plot and/or themes that this film presents to a wide variety of audiences. I will say that in typical Pixar fashion there is action, adventure, laughs, a little bit of romance and then some frightening scares. Lastly, we are left with one emotional whopper of an ending that left me in tears and mostly everyone else in this dark theater.

In all honesty, I feel that this was Pixar's best film. I know that I hate comparing stuff to past works, but this one resonated the most with me and it should resonate with everyone. Although, some of that emotional stuff may go over some of the younger audience's heads because of their age. And with that lies the beauty of this film and its' complexities.

Godfather? - Nope, Godfather 3 sucked too bad.

Star wars? - Nope, Return of the Jedi sucked too bad.

I'm going with the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Wow, Jedi was my favorite one.. I agree with Gadfather though. I wouldn't say Godfather 3 sucked, but it was definitely not in the same ballpark as the first two.

And I never could get into the Lord of the Rings.. But I plan to try again since everyone always raves over those movies.

But back to the topic, I'm taking the kids this weekend to see Toy Story 3. From the reviews, sounds like I'll enjoy it as much as they will. :)

A close friend of mine told me that he'd be managing at a different theater. I ended up seeing the 3D version because the 2D began earlier and there was an "IMAX" version later on. I am dragging this out because I felt no need really to enjoy this film in 3D. Most Pixar films already look 3D with their spatial looking animation. There were a few chase scenes etc. that really were made for 3D, but mostly everything else was very subtle.

We ended up watching the 2D version. My nearly 5 year old son gets annoyed with the glasses. I loved the look of the 2D film. It felt 3D to me. We saw How to Train Your Dragon in 3D a few weeks ago. That's a fun flick.

The film: Well, I don't want to spoil much because no one on here discussed the plot and/or themes that this film presents to a wide variety of audiences. I will say that in typical Pixar fashion there is action, adventure, laughs, a little bit of romance and then some frightening scares. Lastly, we are left with one emotional whopper of an ending that left me in tears and mostly everyone else in this dark theater.

In all honesty, I feel that this was Pixar's best film. I know that I hate comparing stuff to past works, but this one resonated the most with me and it should resonate with everyone. Although, some of that emotional stuff may go over some of the younger audience's heads because of their age. And with that lies the beauty of this film and its' complexities.

I certainly agree with the "Some frightening scares."

Here's my quick 2 cents:

I got emotional in all the right parts. As a parent that was easy to do. That was mostly the beginning and the end. The middle was a little disturbing for me. The movie quickly deteriorated into a prison escape film, complete with the power crazed warden (Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear), the sadistic guards (led by Buzz of all characters!) and the old timer turned snitch after being literally broken by torture (Chatter Telephone). It even had trips to the "box" (sand box) and guard towers with searchlights. Most of that went over my son's head. What didn't was the final 20 minute or so climax which had him physically shaking in fear from the moment Lotso appeared at the dumpster to when the toys were saved by the claw. It was too much and too long for a G-rated movie. I haven't seen too many negative reviews, but I didn't love it like everyone else has. I'd give it 7 out of 10 stars. The Day & Night short at the beginning was phenomenal. Best Pixar has done IMHO.

Saw TS3, and it didn't disappoint.

Like all Pixar films, the detail and creativity within every sequence is top-notch. I never felt like any scene was a waste and never felt like I was being hit over the head to get a point across. The dialogue was believable and real. When characters get in sticky situations, we just KNOW they're gonna find a way out. But HOW the characters do it is always loaded with creativity. And the new characters, especially Ken, add lots of fun texture to the movie.

It seemed almost impossible that Toy Story 3 could maintain the high level of the 2 earlier films AND not feel forced or feel like a money-grab by Disney.

While it clearly WILL be a money-grab, I felt not one bit used. In fact, I'll be seeing it again to catch some missed details (I've heard Sid is the trash guy, and it's revealed by a skull design on his t-shirt...didn't notice that.)

And Toy Story ain't over....Lee Unkrich, the director, says a Toy Story short film will precede next June's "Cars 2".

While it clearly WILL be a money-grab, I felt not one bit used. In fact, I'll be seeing it again to catch some missed details (I've heard Sid is the trash guy, and it's revealed by a skull design on his t-shirt...didn't notice that.)

And Toy Story ain't over....Lee Unkrich, the director, says a Toy Story short film will precede next June's "Cars 2".

This is a great post on "hidden gems" http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/06/18/toy-story-3-easter-eggs/

I saw disappointed that there wasn't a Cars 2 teaser trailer.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, u2roolz. As someone who never-ever-ever-ever wanted to be a Disney princess, I had a hell of a time coming up with female protagonists in my youth. Never did I find one from the movies, and the closest I got elsewhere was Ramona, primarily because she was as awkward as me. Don't get me wrong - I loved a lot of movies starring boys and men, but I really missed out on women I wanted to be like. Discounting, of course, Whoopie Goldberg in Sister Act.*

[*] Though I'd had to spoil this moment by pointing out that Lt. Souther was the one who protected and saved her in the end.

What did Tootsie do for you?